Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:25:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Clavia Nord Modular G2X?  (Read 4816 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 17, 2007, 04:33:38 AM »

Kara & Moon,

Just out of intense curiosity,do either of you know much about the G2X?

I could not find this particualr model anywhere in the U.S. & I only found one foreign retailer called MacMusic.com.
Thier price was close to 3 grand,so I'm guessing that if it were still sold in my country,it would be well over $3,000.00...ouch! Shocked

The G2X would be one incredible synth to have,& I was wondering how similiar or disimiliar the G2X's sequencer is to a typical workstation synth?

This particular synth seems to have ALL the goodies a person could want. Grin

Elwood

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:04:53 AM »

I know everything about the Nord Modular G2X since I own one.

The G2X is the Nord Modular with the DSP expansion board which doubles his power.
To be precise :
G2X is the big brother and offers the same features as the Nord Modular G2 with a few extras. The keyboard has five instead of three octaves. Moreover, the keys are semi-weighted for a more sensitive touch. It’s fitted from the start with a voice expansion board offering twice the processing power compared to its little brothers (G2 and G2 engine). It holds two extra easily assignable modulation wheels. All three wheels are equipped with LED’s to indicate their positions. Furthermore, the G2X is delivered with a gooseneck microphone that you connect onto the top panel.

I want to warn for something.
The G2X is in my opinion one of the best synth's in the world but it is a virtual modular synth and not a workstation.
What does this mean ?
1. It is basicaly an empty box with the possibility to create your proper modular synth inside the box. This means that you must master the concept of building VA modulars to fully use the beast (see the attached pic) or at least be willing to invest the time to learn it.
2. It has no full fledged sequencer as you know it from a workstation, which means that you can not record full songs on a G2X. It has pattern sequencers with you can build yourself and which will then transpose the pattern in function of the notes you play.

Actually the reason I'm saying that it is one of the best synth's in the world is that since you build anything you want with it, even audio processors because it has allso audio in, it's a machine allmost without limits. But... it a synth that is completly oriented to playing.
A typical configuration in which I use it, just as an example
- Right hand keyboard split : one of the virtual synths is playing the pads (with our without pattern sequencer) and a the same time it plays the bass line with another pattern sequencer
- Left hand keyboard split : the lead, another virtual synth or even 2 who are layered.
- If, for a song I want some very special fx, I send one of the audio outs of the G2X (it has 4 in total) trough mixer and back in the G2X where I send it trough a separate slot where I build my special audio processing chain and send it to another audio out of the G2X

As you see it is realy a machine that is very powerfull if you are  looking for actually playing.
So I would say, if you want a G2X as synth in a allready equipted studio, yes it is propably one of the best you can get.
If you want it as a replacement for a workstation, no it's not want you want.

Hope this helps,

k

Forgot to say... if you want an idea how the patching works in a G2X, on the clavia side you can download the demo version of the patching software. It is fully functional and no time limit and you don't need the G2X to use it. Only limitation : one voice only and of course you don't have the hardware like de DA convertors of the real thing. But it give you a good idea of what you get.

* nordexample.jpg (99.54 KB, 800x450 - viewed 617 times.)

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:16:01 PM »

Kara,

Thanks very much for taking the time to intricately explain the G2X.
As much as I am dazzled by this magnificent keyboard,it's still out of reach for me in terms of availablity & price range.

I decided to today to place an order for the Zoom HD8CD multi track recorder & focus more on adding vocals to my music,rather than remain just an instrumental musician,as I miss singing very much.

I want to become a more well-rounded musician by learning to use a multi track audio recorder & to revive my vocal abilities that have been seriously neglected in recent years.
Once I accomplish all this,I really like the idea of sweetening my recordings with a Nord Lead 2X & also to grasp the concept of analogue modeling.

Even though the Nord Lead 2X does not have built in effects,the Zoom recorder does have effects,& it seems to me that the Nord Lead 2X is the best analogue synth out there for a grand & a logical choice for my applications.

Elwood

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 06:25:45 PM »

Even though the Nord Lead 2X does not have built in effects,the Zoom recorder does have effects,& it seems to me that the Nord Lead 2X is the best analogue synth out there for a grand & a logical choice for my applications.

You' absolutely right there: this synth sounds so great that it doesn't need effects ! Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: