Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:13:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new tool for non-musicians  (Read 5852 times)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« on: September 27, 2007, 09:20:14 AM »

I actually wonder if developpers of music software know anything about music.
Look at the description of this tool, which is actually for sale. I've deleted the name of the company because I don't want to attack the company, just rant about the actual software.
-------------------------
**** Tool Melody: You play a chord in the lower section of the midi-keyboard,  and the upper section white-keys will follow the chord you play. So, for instance, if you play 2 keys at the lower area, those 2 keys will be used for all the white keys on the upper area, going one octave up every 2 keys. This way, you can just worry about the chords, and play anything on the white keys upper area, and they will stay on the melody. You can even build up a more complex melody by sequencing the lower area with several keys, lets say, 8 keys, and just play the white keys on the upper area while the sequencer plays the lower chords. A Sustain pedal can also be set to work only on the lower area. So you hold sustain, play several keys on the lower area, and the upper area will follow that logic. This tool has 3 modes: Free Chord Play, One Finger Chord - where you can assign up to 12 chords to unique keys and Transposer Key/Octave mode
---------------------------
So, I suppose this tool has been created for guys that don't know how to realy play ?
Let's think a bit about that....
I can't play, give it a try
1. As a complete beginner I can only play one note with my right hand, so let's play a lower C. With the right hand I can only play C over different octaves. This is gonna be a very simple melody... one note samba perhaps  Roll Eyes
2. I realise that to use this I have to learn to play a bit more. So I learn to play power chords with the left hand. Let's play a C power chord, root & fifth, now I can play a C & G as melody. I can create a melody with 2 notes  Roll Eyes
Also I have to learn if I want to emphaze on minor chords that it is better to play the root and tirth.
3. My melody isn't good enough, I'll have to learn at least full triads... ok let's learn this.
Now I can play full triads, I play the chords C - F - G - C over 4 bars. I can create a melody with the notes, C - D - E - F - G - A - B. If I carefully choose when to change chords I have the full C scale available to create a melody. But I'll better rehears a lot with that left hand !
4. If I want a bit of variation and accidentials in my melody, I realize I'll have to learn 7th chords. Let's learn to play the easier ones that give me more melody notes.
C7 - Yeah I have  a Bb extra in my melody, F7 - Yep, extra D# in my melody. Nice, now i can play the notes C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb-A
5. I realize, after a bit of study that to have a bit more variation I should learn minor chords. Hmm... doesn't seem that difficult at the stade that I am, actually with the chords that I allready know, I only have to lower one note half a tone... I could learn this with a bit of practise.
6. After practising a bit, and you know what ? 'practising is fun and you learn quit a couple of things', i can now allso play minor chords. I've allso noticed that chords on a keyboard actualy allways have the same pattern. Like, if I play a C chord and I want to go up one step, i just keep my fingers the same and shift right one position and play a Dm chord. What is funny is that I can do this over the octave range, getting a C,Dm,Em, F,G, Am 
Interesting.

Now the problem is that now that I know how to play chords with my left hand and a melody with my right (which was a lot of fun to learn by the way). I still only can play in the melody, the notes of the chord that I play with my left hand. If I want to make my melody a bit more interesting I would like to put some accidentials in it that aren't realy part of my chord. But with this tool I can't do it, what a shame.

But wait a minute, I just said I can play chords with my left hand and a melody with my right hand... I actually don't need that tool  Shocked Why did I buy this  Roll Eyes
Back to practising again....

I realise that this is a bit sceptic, but am I that far from reality Huh?

k
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 09:23:41 AM by kara » Logged

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »

Haha..I got a kick out of that..it reminds me of how I managed to learn to play piano,
a long, long time ago..only there wasn't any software at all then..

So I think that proves your point, that you don't need that software. 

What were they thinkin??

Grin

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:14:01 PM »

let me edit that for you .... were they thinking?

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »

don't think so  Grin

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:10:17 PM »

Yes,they were thinking...they were thinking about targeting the people who are'nt musicians who have the desire to be musicians,but don't have the musical ability,nor the common sense to realize that there is no substitute for a lack of ability.
These are the type of people they are trying to profit from and they are out there..just take a gander at all the people who post videos on YouTube that are not musicians. Grin

I've seen videos were people with entirely too much money and no talent,buy a Roland V-synth or an Access Virus and cannot play the damn things...very sad.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 07:21:48 PM »

there is no substitute for a lack of ability.

..Whoaoo..excellent quote!!

Wyatt

TheBellows

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 01:31:33 PM »

I think this tool sounds quite fun if you don't know how to play.
It's obviously useless for an experienced musician, but for noobs it must be the best instrument ever. Soon they're into trackers and sequencers and by the time they've learned such tools they've prabably thought to themselves "Gawd! Why did i buy/illegaly download that crap?", and started learning real stuff.   Tongue
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 06:40:35 PM »

No further comments needed  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: