Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AKG Perception 100  (Read 6461 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 09, 2007, 06:10:12 PM »

Been recently playing with my new toy and the clarity of this mic is stunning,but I could use a pop filter to go along with this,as it's very sensitive.

Also,about $2,000 worth of Auralex sound isolation materials would help also,as I did not realize just how loud my voice would be in my apartment with amplification-even with minimum volume settings...will have to hold off adding vocals to my music for at least a couple of years while I save up the money to do a makeover in my studio. Embarrassed

* AKG Perception 100.jpg (1781.25 KB, 2304x1728 - viewed 657 times.)

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 07:47:39 AM »

Tom,

If you are a bit handy with tools, you could build yourself one of those :
http://www.palmcitystudios.com/timobrien/music/soundbooth/simplesoundbooth.html

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »

If you are recording with a live mic, there should be no loud amplification of the voice, at least not while recording...use headphones.

And empty a closet if you need to, except for a blanket hanging to dampen things, and record vocals from there...

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:17:21 PM »

Kara,

I appreciate the input,but the sound-booth method as indicated in the pictures,is general sound absorption to reduce reflections in a room,as supposed to sound isolation-which is actually bringing the transmission of sound waves to a halt completely,thereby containing the sound within the room and not have any sound pass through the walls whatsoever,which is what I need.

What I need to do to achieve this level of isolation,is to build a room within a room,which basically consists of me building some frame work on the existing surface of my walls & placing panels of mineral fiber insulation in between the framework,then nailing sheets of fiberboard over top of that and then attaching sheets of vinyl material over top of that.

Creating an inch of airspace,along with using these very dense sound insulation materials will sound-proof my studio 100%.

This construction method is not terribly expensive & I can do it myself and it is so effective,that I could literally bring in an entire 5 piece band with the volume level of a small nightclub venue, and have them play in my studio at 2:00am in the morning and my neighbors would not hear a peep!

The biggest expense,is the materials,as the mineral fiber insulation is made out of volcanic rock-which is not only the best absorption material,but it also has a class A fire rating.
The vinyl sheet material is a professional grade,very dense form of vinyl.

Vinyl Sheetblok: $159.00 per 4' X 10' sheet

Mineral Fiber: $119.00  for 6, 2' X 4' panels

Once I save enough money for the Nord & the mixer that I want,I will then probably have my room sound-proofed by the end of next year-by my estimates.

As I see it,ultimately,I cannot afford any cheaper methods of sound-proofing,because I cannot take a chance on possibly disturbing my neighbors & getting evicted from this building I live in,as the amount of disabled,low income people that live in this state,exceed the amount of low income dwellings that there are and I managed to get into one of the nicest state-funded buildings that exist in N.J.,and moving into this place is the oppurtunity of a lifetime for me.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »

Bob,

I agree that using headphones is practical,but even without amplification to my voice,I still think that my neighbors would not take kindly to hearing me singing take after take & having to be subjected to my voice all day.

Most of the people that live in my building are retired & they are home most of the time,so I do not feel comfortable doing vocals without sound-proofing first.

The closet thing is a good idea & I had considered that,but unless I had remote operation for my Zoom recorder,I cannot pull something like that off,especially in a situation where I happen to be recording a song where the vocal track beginds first.

It's not feasible to hit record & then make a dash for my closet to reach the mic in time to start the singing.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 10:33:39 PM »

Here is a fascinating link for anyone looking to sound proof thier studio! Grin:

http://www.auralexuniversity.com/neighborsWMA.html

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 06:54:10 AM »

Reminds me (just about) of an article I read in New Scientist (1970s?) about the ultimate sound-proof room built in London. It was basically a box made of porous concrete 'floating' on rubber blocks inside another concrete box, buried underground. I think it was for measuring astronomical gravity waves or something equally obscure.

You never have to worry about your neighbours there Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: