Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:04:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: ALESIS ION...you must read this!! :~O  (Read 21884 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: November 01, 2007, 10:25:53 PM »

I'd never dreamt I would say this about any recent Alesis products given thier disasters on a few products,but holy s**t--the Alesis Ion is quite a miracle and a hugely overlooked & hugely under-estimated synth on my part.

If you love unlimited creation & analogue warmth at a insane price then please read on.....

I have spent the better part of this afternoon researching the Ion,because I became so consumed by what I was reading & listening, & nothing could pry me away from my computer because of this beautiful machine.

The Ion is a analogue & fm synthesis modeling keyboard with 49 keys.
It has 2 modulation wheels & a pitch bend wheel with 30 real-time knobs & 69 buttons.

Specifications:

-512 preset programs(all user programmable)

-8 voice polyphony with 3 oscillators per voice

-4 insert effects,as well as master effects-including;

phaser,flanger,overdrive,distortion,tube amp,compressor,chorus & fuzz pedal.

-external audio inputs & a 40 band vocoder

My sales rep at Sweetwater had spent quite a bit of time with it,delving deep into the Ion's creative abilities & gave it a excellent review,& customer reviews on this product were very good as well.In fact,no matter where I looked on the internet,I could not find a bad review of this product!

My sales rep said that they've been out of stock for this item for about a year & they recently got a batch of them in-I know this to be true,because I looked all over the internet & the Ion is either on special order,or it's out of stock at most retailers.

SoundOnSound magazine gave it a good review and it seems to sell out quickly,because the availabilty is few & far between.

Some people are raving about how well the Ion emulates analogue warmth & it's innate ability to accurately replicate 70's & 80's synth sounds.

I certainly believe this,because I was actually blown away by the audio demos of this magnificent keyboard.

One person referred to this board as being under-priced,because of everything that you get for just $599.00(USD) & it's even been compared to the Nord Lead-because of the level of quality for this price.

In consideration of the availability of this board & it's price,I just may postpone my purchase of the Nord & get the Ion first!

I can't believe I am saying this,but it's true & here's why...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ion/media/#anchor

Many people also stated that it's built like a tank,as the build quality is very sturdy for such a small board.

Have fun purusing this keyboard....as I certainly have! Grin

Thom

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:08 PM »

Thom, I have trouble grasping what it is you are looking for.  If you were recording audio tracks I may agree that this could be a cool synth, but if you intend on using it to pull sounds from for a sequencer, it is only 4 part & 8 voice. .
 I like the idea, and think it would be a fun board, but I thought you were looking for something to replace the Triton as a main soundsource..

PS- That's why I keep my old synths; I figger why buy a new one to try to emulate the old ones?  Never sell yer old stuff. Replace the little batteries in 'em and store them.  I can't tell you how many times I've pulled out an old keyboard, created the sound I wanted, and sampled it into the newer boards for using live..always good to have one of those 'analogish' boards for sound sculpting. Heck= we still have a minimoog, Juno106,..among others that still function like new.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 11:49:49 PM »

Rharv,

I am not actually looking to replace the Triton as a main sound source,although the Kurzweil K2661 that I wanted could function quite well as a main sound source,but I am going to sit on that deal until the Kurzweil comes down in price.

Since I do have a multi-track audio recorder,I might as well utilize it,by using the Triton for sequenced bass & drum tracks & some other stuff and then really sweeten my songs with the Alesis Ion.

I hear what you're saying about holding on to your old synths,as I do wish that I still had my Korg DS8-but that was 20 years ago & I did not have the foresight then as I do now,as otherwise,I would still have the DS8.

I am not crying about it now though,because modern technology these days emulates old synth sounds so well & so cheaply,that I really don't have any significant regrets & I will be more than happy to spend the money for both the Ion and the Nord.

I understand why you are having trouble conceptualizing what I am after,so I will try to deliniate to you,what I seek.

As much as I rely on & enjoy sequencing,I would like to try my hand at not being so dependant on sequencing and at this point,I want to at least become profficient in adding some layers & synth leads in real time,while still having the backbone of my songs tight & taught through sequencing.

I certainly don't have any plans of ever recording all of my tracks in real time,nor joining or starting a band,but I would like to add a organic element to my songs & I sincerely feel that the Ion will be a contributing factor to making my studio complete.

I invite you to click on the link in my previous post and download the demo titled:
"Ion Vintage Synths"

This demo has a series of various short clips of classic cover tunes,which I am sure you will fully appreciate.

Cheers,

Thom Cool

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:04:02 AM »

Yep, can't argue that those are impressive retro sounds.. Cool

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 07:24:06 AM »

Yes, the Alesis ION is definetly the synth that they got right!

If you consider this synth, make sure also to check out the Alesis Micron: same sound engine in a smaller package with 1000 stunning presets for a very stunning price.

I also did consider to buy an Alesis Ion once, but got me a second hand Virus B instead. Also a great synth, but sounds totaly different than the Ion. It's a matter of taste: the Ion has a very characteristic sound, so if this is the sound you're looking for, go for it...

P.S.: You might also want to check the Waldorf Micron, since this one also falls in the category of your search.

Rgrds,

Moon
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »

I can't believe I am saying this,but it's true & here's why...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Ion/media/#anchor

Wow... these demo's sounds better than the Fusion... or perhaps there's something wrong with my ears Huh

Seriously: Thom, I think this synth would be a nice complement to your Triton Extreme and if I had to make the choice between the Nord or the Ion... I wouldn't know...
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 01:13:17 PM »

Moon,

My dilemna is actually about which one to get first,as supposed to just which one to get.
There's no doubt that I will eventually have both of them,as they are both very unique instruments,offering different features and that being said,I can't imagine living without either of them in my studio. Grin

Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »

There's also a third party VSTi-based controller for this synth (http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5554), should be an interesting and useful combination. What appeals to me with the ION is the fact that you have three control wheels and I believe also aftertouch - which should get you some quite expressive performances.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:25:10 PM by Marc JX8P » Logged

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »

and I believe also aftertouch -

Don't think so, no aftertouch, but hooked to Thom's Triton, this can't be an isue.

With the Vsti, the Micron will become a very good alternative, at least if you work with a pc in your setup. God, so many nice things out there !  Shocked
P.S.: Marc, thanks for the link! 
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 01:59:21 PM »

My dilemna is actually about which one to get first,as supposed to just which one to get.

Aha, this solves another Dilema: with both a Nord & Ion, I don't think you need the Kurzweil anymore  Grin
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 05:00:34 PM »

Thanks for the link Marc.

Moon,

Yep,I agree,I think I will be quite content with the Nord & Ion without the Kurzweil.
I think it would be overkill to pick up a Kurzweil at that point.

As for the Micron...well...that board is like a woman with less parts to play with...I would really miss not having the extra onboard stuff. Grin

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »

I am still glued to my computer continually researching this sexy keyboard & I found an especially interesting & truthful piece of propaganda that's contained in a PDF file,located right in the Alesis website.

Even though I recently discovered that the Ion originally retailed for $799.00(USD),
I still had difficulty understanding why the Ion is such a beautiful keyboard at it's price point & this article explains this anomaly quite well;

http://www.alesis.com/downloads/ftp/specsheets/Ion%20Rolloutpdf

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 01:12:43 AM »

Thom,

Link didn't work for me.

Wyatt

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 01:56:53 AM »

Wyatt,

I checked the link & I had the same problem.I then went to the Alesis site & I still could not download the PDF file.

There must be a technical situation within the site.I would check it at a later time,or you can just ask me anything you want to know about this board if your interested in getting one,as I'll have this board soon enough. Grin

I'm actually placing an order for one early next month!  Smiley Cheesy Grin

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 03:27:54 AM »

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/technotes/issue2-ion

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: