Kara-Moon Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:32:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagles anyone?  (Read 6976 times)
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: December 07, 2007, 01:57:20 AM »

I just recently got their latest album..first new album in 28 years. I notices a few interesting things....it is sold through WalMart, they produced it themselves, and this double CD is half the price that double CDs often retail for..

..all of which prompted me to poke around to find out more about this one. There are so many artists these days  breaking away from the major labels. It always makes me curious about how they are trying to manage their distribution..

Well, in the process I ran across this live version of Hotel California that is really cool..if you like these guys at all, you're going to love this version:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fJt86UqHtX8&feature=related

..beautiful acoustic guitar work..I love how the intro leads into the song..what a rush!

Wyatt

PS..Check out the dancing conga player. I just wanted to point out that conga players use various "place-holders"..that is, ways that they keep continuously involved with the beat, even if they aren't actually playing continuously..(like the high drum part of the Calypso)

Most guys use a "touch"..that is real common..I use a technique I developed that I call a "spank".. ..soo..whatever floats your boat..

Well, this guy kind of dances  up and down a lot, but it you watch him you will see that yes, it may be part of the performance, but it isn't just that..that is also his "place-holder"..his way to keep his groove when there is a lot of space in it, and there is a lot of space in it for congas.

He does a real nice job..Cool congas.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:00:52 PM by Wyatt » Logged

NeoN

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:28:17 AM »

That's so cool Wyatt! Hotel California is one of my favourite Songs ever  Cool
This acoustic Version of the Song sounds very
nice, it for sure fits this Style of Music.
BTW, I didn't know that about Conga players! Shocked
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:55:17 AM by NeoN » Logged
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »

I used to like the Eagles but for some reason their music doesn't do anything for me anymore. I've heard Hotel California so many times over the years I'm completely fed up with it.

Sorry guys I will skip this one.

I am a big fan of Joe Walsh's solo work though. That's a completly different kettle of fish. I heard he was doing some gigs again away from the Eagles That's more interesting.

Oh, yeah did you know that part of the chord sequence of Hotel California was actually stolen from a Jethro Tull song.  Grin Back then, before recording the album Hotel California, Jethro Tull had been doing shows with The Eagles in the US
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:45:49 AM by Martin E » Logged
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 08:54:57 AM »

I'm with Martin here, I actually never liked Eagles a lot, there music didn't do anything for me, I put them in the same category as the Beegees which I never liked either.

But this is realy the best version I saw of Hotel California.
I like a lot how that bass and congas lay out a very solid groove for the song.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:03:54 AM »

I used to like the Eagles but for some reason their music doesn't do anything for me anymore. I've heard Hotel California so many times over the years I'm completely fed up with it.

Yeah, I can imagine. I hadn't listened to them for 20 years, so it was a fresh new listen for me.
I'd nearly forgot about Jethro Tull..blast from the past..I used to have the 8 track.  Smiley

@Kara..thanks for reminding us about the bass player! ..I see what you mean.  Smiley

Wyatt
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:40:05 AM by Wyatt » Logged

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 05:14:12 PM »

No time to listen now. But I have heard one of their new singles (I think they played on the CMA's). Yeah, I watched that Roll Eyes

Anyway, wanted to comment on the Eagles. Never used to like them until about 7 or 8 years ago when I got their DTS DVD and have liked them ever since. Originally, I had heard Hotel California so much, I just never got interested. Was never impressed with that song. But I love the Joe Walsh influence in the band (I'm with you there, Martin, I really like Walsh).

Here's something to debate (if you feel like it Smiley)...given everything it takes to produce a tune; the comp, the lyrics, the arrangement, the recording, the mastering, etc., I think Desperado could be one of the 10 best songs ever recorded. That said, I am a sucker for ballads  Roll Eyes

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 05:34:55 PM »

Here's something to debate (if you feel like it Smiley)...given everything it takes to produce a tune; the comp, the lyrics, the arrangement, the recording, the mastering, etc., I think Desperado could be one of the 10 best songs ever recorded. That said, I am a sucker for ballads  Roll Eyes

I hear that, Fred..I haven't heard Desperado for years and years, either..probably since the last time I played it...thanks for reminding me..gotta go have a listen.

I just the other day  listened to "Long Road Out of Eden" a couple of times..still trying to wrap around that one.. it got me to thinking about these guys again.

I like ballads a lot too..had some probs with my voice this past year or I would have finished three or four of mine that are just sitting on a shelf..maybe soon..

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 11:43:37 PM »

I 'sorta' liked the eagles, but only in small doses. Like many I got totally sick of hearing the 'hotel' every five minutes, Now I've had a break it sounds better Smiley

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Ed

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 06:21:06 PM »

Joes really looking better and sounding good to, beautiful guitar
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 11:34:14 PM »

I am a big fan of Joe Walsh's solo work though. That's a completly different kettle of fish.

One more consensus here. I must say I bought this last album out of curiosity and I like it a lot. Although they're simple songs it's well produced and enjoyable.
I like to keep it in the car and listen to it while traveling  Wink

Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: