Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:04:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Folderol entry?  (Read 24108 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: January 17, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

First a confession - I recorded this about 6 months ago.

I'm not sure if this tune fits the theme or not but would like to offer it anyway.

I would suggest the flute needs replacing with a real one - yes Kara I know it needs breath gaps squeezed in. Hmmm. I wonder if bagpipes would sound better for that part. We do, after all, have a pipes player here don't we!

A real whistle would also probably improve the descant part, and maybe a real guitar.

I know the 'Great Chimes' at the start and end are not exactly Celtic but I think they fit and add a nice air of mystery.

Well, for all that, do people think this tune is worth the extra spit-and-polish?

* Celtic_Dream.mp3 (3014.85 KB - downloaded 448 times.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:47:16 PM by kara » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 03:50:20 AM »

Will,

Go for the polish, back off on the spit. Good song!

The principle melody instrument lacks the depth and complexity of the rest of your orchestra... In my opinion acoustic instruments are not a necessary addition - Zyn sounds so good.

You decide how your flute will sound, and play it loud and proud Wink

Oren.

offthewall
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:32:55 PM »

Will,
I'd be more than happy to work with you on this one. I can add guitar and whistle and suggest some minor improvements, if you like.
 Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »

Yes that'd be great. Shall I put a version up with the guitar and whistle missing?

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:34:08 PM »

Yes indeed....or send me a file by e-mail.
Could be fun!
 Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 11:59:53 PM »

Here we go Smiley

I've put here in case anyone else has any interest.

Incidentally, when I composed both the flute and the whistle parts I just kept playing against the rest (it is a very simple repeating chord pattern) then chopped out the worst bits  Wink

* Celtic_Dream_Sans_Guitar_Whistle.mp3 (2620 KB - downloaded 417 times.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:01:52 AM by folderol » Logged

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 06:15:58 PM »

Thanks Will,
If you have time could you give me BPM and chord sequence.. Kiss..please.
 Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 06:40:09 PM »

Oops. Sorry Roll Eyes

Timing is 170bpm, but it's in 6/8 time (phew)

Chords are:

C, G, Bb, F, C, G, F, G

C, G, Bb, F, C, F, Bdim, C

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »

Will, I've started doing a bit of work on this at last. The 'sans whistle and guitar' file is 24 bars shorter than the original and actually cuts off mid-sequence!
Can you send another file without the drum and tambourine as I would like to try it with 'real' ones.
Also, do you want me to send files to you for mixing or would you like me to do it?....or should we both do a mix and compare?
 Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 12:48:02 AM »

That was very strange. It seems my conversion utility chopped a bit off, but only the mp3 copy Sad

Anyway, here is the correct one as well as a sans percussion version too.

I think I'd like to try mixing these down myself. Never done this with audio files before so should be a good experience. it would be interesting to see how differently we do it.

I can handle wav, flac, ogg & mp3.

Incidentally, it might be worth keeping copies of all the individual parts in wav format. if we make the grade for the new CD our resident masterers (is that a word?) would probably appreciate clean copies.

* Celtic_Dream_Sans_Guitar_Whistle_2.mp3 (3022.86 KB - downloaded 423 times.)
* Celtic_Dream_Sans_Guitar_Whistle_Perc.mp3 (3022.45 KB - downloaded 406 times.)

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 08:30:53 AM »

Gentlemen,

Go for FLAC. (or MonkeysAudio if you prefer)

Exchanging files in "compressed, but lossless" format renders a superior product. Files are large and take time to send/receive, but it's worth the trouble.

On the other hand, if sending files back and forth via e-mail is your only option, some folks have reported excellent results using high bit-rate Ogg Vorbis files.

Oren.

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:33:20 AM »

I use the new FLAC Frontend, it works fine and is loseless...  Wink
offthewall
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:42 PM »

Cool
Here goes first tester.
I've taken one of Will's original files and laid alongside it three acoustic guitar parts, two mandolin parts, one whistle and a bodhran.
They are all played in various combinations during the piece with the finale having everything at once!
I intend sending all the separate parts to Will for him to have 'fun' mixing them to his satisfaction.
He should enjoy that.

Open to comments, as usual.
 Wink
James

* CelticDream1.mp3 (4536.12 KB - downloaded 413 times.)

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »

It works. wOO

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:37:27 PM »

Just so you don't think I've forgotten about this, here is a rough draft of what I've put together with Jame's guitar and percussion sections. I haven't added the whistle in yet as I want to get all this completely right first.

* CelticDreamPart.mp3 (3026.53 KB - downloaded 464 times.)

- Will
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: