Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:05:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TOP 3  (Read 7778 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: February 16, 2008, 08:49:28 AM »

Just post your top 3 of your favourite software and explain why it is there.

Here's my list:
1.- FL Studio for the great features, lifetime free updates, eas of use and bargain price.
2.- SONAR Producer : the most complete DAW to my knoweledge, rock stable
3.- Undecided yet: still evaluating between Zebra, Rapture and Korg's digital Collection. For now Zebra seems to be my favourite, but since I'v just bought this one, I'll still haven't made it a final deciosion.

Moon
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:16:39 PM »

Phew - kind of difficult since there's so many types of software, but just for the fun of it:

1. NI Kore 2 & NI Kontakt 3: able to give you great sounds from a large selection and the ability to control that sound once you've selected it. Kontakt has been my go-to sampler for years and Kore 2 is an amazing tool.
2. Cubase Studio 4: my sequencer since Logic went mac-only. Does what it needs to do and since version 4 it includes the brilliant media bay and track presets allowing you to quickly store and find your loops, favourite sounds and favourite track settings which really improves my workflow.
3. The GFORCE stuff. I've loved the ImpOSCar for years and lately I've also been using the Minimonsta and the VSM. Great software, wonderful sounds.

Also known as Marc JXP
Servetus

Heretic

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

Jeskola Buzz: It rocks, if you are willing to learn which machines are unstable, what combinations of machines are unstable- etc, etc. Put simply, it's unique and slightly finicky. With an external hard drive to back up all your information you can rest at ease and find a lot of very peculiar sounds. *plus it's a C+ environment, so I have hopes of moving into development*

Audacity: Free, straightforward, and it works. I don't use it much anymore, but highly suggest it as a free alternative to Soundforge and similar products.

ReNoise: There is an almost full free demo for download, after tinkering in it a while I've found that ReNoise is a very solid interface that old school trackers will find to be an easy transition. Feature rich and a good community.

I like.. sound.
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

I have aLinux DAW, so my top 3 will be slightly different from others, or perhaps not  Grin
1. Renoise : best tracker ever made, available on Linux and Win.
2. Audacity : best audiosoftware, I say allways if you can't do it with audacity, you can't do it....
3. Alsamodularsynth. My prefered sound source

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
tERMoBLUe
Kara-Moon-Collective

sound-sample-jokey

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:08:56 AM »

okay, my two cent Tongue :

first) fruityloops - very intuitive work with many nesting possibilities  Cool /
second) wavelab - mastering, multitracking, converting of very many support audio formats, analyzing and visualizing sound /
third) plugs of h.g.fortune - superlative shapebased vsti's for spherics and atmos  Kiss //...cu

<2°TRo²³

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »

Well for me the first one has to me ZynAddSubFX, and incredible soft-synth that I still haven't bumped into the edges.

Second would be Rosegarden, a very productive and (for me) intuitive sequencer/score editor/player.

Number three would be Time Machine, which follows the idea 'do just one thing but do it well' that 10 sec 'pre'-record is priceless.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »

1) B4/B4II; Just cause

2) Kontakt; everyone needs a good sampler

3) Too many too choose from.

btw, moon, trying to put Sonar on this list too, but still getting comfortable with it. 

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:42:53 AM »

1 Cubase SX  -  I've  had  Cubase since the Antari days. So I don't know any better. Still have to upgrade to Cubase SX 4 though.

2 Addictive Drums -  Best drum vst around. And I use it on all my tracks

3 IKMultimedia AmpliTube 2 and Amplitube Jimi Hendrix amp simulation  -  Got these two in a group buy recently at Esoundz and I was blown away. The Marshall simulation in AmpliTube JH is so real, it's scary  wOO
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 09:12:45 AM »

1..Adobe Audition: The best noise reduction routines I ever used. Makes Audio Cleaning Lab and Wave Lab look sick. Plus there are some lovely goodies from Izotope in there now. The Multi-band compressor alone would cost you $200. Great multitrack audio recording and the editing is second to none. Excellent value for money. ( it kind of pisses me off that I like this one so much, because I am no fan of Adobe. )

2..Reason: Value for money here as well..yes, not free, but an incredible package of incredible devices, with adaptability that defies my poor powers of description. I studied probability and statistics, and my calculator could not display the possible number of devices you could construct here.

3..ReCycle: Take a .wav file and do anything you want to it..make it any tempo, any pitch, attack, release, gates, filters. You can export a drum track to separate files for each beat, or one continuous file.  Nice little program, but this one did however seem overpriced to me. If you use Reason, you pretty much don't want to miss this little utility. I suppose that explains the price.  Wink

Wyatt
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:41:33 PM by Wyatt » Logged

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »

Powertracks Pro Audio- DAW of choice

Classic Compressor--works so easily on so many things (Classic Limiter is nice too)

TripleComp multiband compressor- love the RMS readouts and the author listens to requests; even did fix for new version of Powertracks!

MultiInspector is right up there too..GEQ Overtone from voxengo..ReaGate from Reaper pack..A0 Parametric EQ...lots of good ones available.  It's all in how you use them!

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: