Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:06:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Amp simulators - tone  (Read 24394 times)
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: March 15, 2008, 04:21:14 PM »

I read a lot about amp simulators, from Vst freebies through commercial (Amplitube, NI guitar rig, Revalver...) to hardware units (Pod, etc.).
I tried the free ones and a couple of demos and not really 100 % satisfied with the tone
Looking for a hint. In the future I can think of getting some new stuff.

Cheers
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »

Amplitube seems to be getting the consistant great reviews for software.
I still like the hardware units. V-Amp and Pod.
 I also really like being able to hear it thru an amp and tap the line out like in my GMX210 amp.  Usually need a Pod or V-Amp in front of it (built in effects are 'average'), but the line out feed includes a speaker sim that really sounds just like what comes out of the amp speaker. So if you can dial in a sound you really like you'll get that sound recorded.  Plus it works great as a bass amp. The twin Jensen 10" speakers get loud and full. I use it at jam sessions with guys using Marshall half stacks and with a V-Amp driving the preamp hard it gets really loud and the speakers don't show a sign of distortion at all (unless I'm using intentional distortion of course).
 If I was starting over buying guitar stuff I'd still get the GMX210 and a Pod (line6) instead of the V-Amp I got.
 I gotta say, though, that Oren gets great sounds from his Digitech RP unit.  I'd give that serious consideration too. 

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:04:07 AM »

Another consideration is whether you want vintage guitar amplifier sound. The Line6 Pod and GMX210 will get you that - and with an amazing array of amplifier and speaker cabinet combinations.

I like to build my sound up from high quality analog and digital effects, and reproduce the sound through full-range speaker systems or headphones. The Digitech RP series allows you to approach your effects this way, or amp/speaker simulations are also available.

Another interesting option for Linux users:
http://zyzstar.kosoru.com/?creox
is the guitar effects processor supplied with the Ubuntu Studio Linux package, and effects the guitar just the way I like it - total control, high quality signal path, and no attempt to sound like a Fender/Vox/Marshall Cheesy

http://www.eca.cx/ecamegapedal/
is one I haven't tried yet, but looks very capable.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:47:20 AM »

If I were to start over, I would definitely have to check out Oren's rig..terrific sounds there fella. That's the only one I have heard that would tempt me at all.

Maybe I am behind the curve, but I am nowhere close to exploring all the possibilities of my amp, (Fender Cyber Deluxe). It has hundreds of thousands of possible combinations.

I also do love to turn up the volume and rattle the windows now and then.  Smiley

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 12:19:44 PM »

I also do love to turn up the volume and rattle the windows now and then.  Smiley

Wyatt

I never get the chance  Sad
I'm in the middle of a Victorian terrace. 50W speakers and amp in the lounge and I barely get the chance to shake the dust off them Undecided

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 02:16:07 PM »

I also really like being able to hear it thru an amp and tap the line out

me too

Another consideration is whether you want vintage guitar amplifier sound. .

Yeah !

Yes ! ...from time to time

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to have tips from the main guitar-guys here  Grin
I think hardware units are the right choice for me
This is the direction I'd like to move on

Cheers
Rootwitch
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »

Just joined the forum today - I realize this thread is almost a year old, and much has changed since then, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents relative to the advantage of using VST amp sims. And that is, you can always go back and change any aspect you want. Say you record the PERFECT take, backing guitar - solo - whatever, and you find yourself thinking, "Man, I really wish I would have used a Marshall instead of a Mesa Boogie". With any external solution, you're stuck. With something like Amplitube 2 or Guitar Rig 3, you can (just to list a few) remove any reverb you may have used on the guitar, change cabinets, change heads, change/remove overdrives....the list goes on. I've got all the Amplitube VST, Guitar Rig 3, even Izotope Trash has some great sounding amps, although I usually tweak them with a secondary VST (reverb, delay, etc). The only thing I record with a live mic is vocals and acoustic guitar. Even though I have the capability to record live drums, I prefer BFD or Superior Drummer 2 (again, for the tweak factor). Bass - Amplitube's Ampeg version. Keys - Kontakt Komplete or Reason 4, or Lounge Lizard. I just like having the option to change out stuff later. But, that's just me.  Tongue
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 10:52:23 PM »

Hey Rootwitch..welcome aboard! Appreciate your input.

I like your point about vst amp sims.

Since I last posted to this thread I got a Digitech GSP-1101, but you hit the nail on the head..once you do it you are stuck with it, and just this past month I dearly wished I could have re-tweaked a digital distortion tone that wasn't sitting in the mix well.

Using FreeAmp on a clean track leaves me more options, and it has a lot of capability.

Cool

Wyatt

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:56:11 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:53:29 AM »

Since I last posted to this thread I got a Digitech GSP-1101,

Wyatt. You bought it? I'm very envious right now.
..............what do you think of it? A review, perhaps?... Wink

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »

Just joined the forum today - I realize this thread is almost a year old... my two cents relative to the advantage of using VST amp sims... you can always go back and change any aspect you want...The only thing I record with a live mic is vocals and acoustic guitar. Even though I have the capability to record live drums, I prefer BFD or Superior Drummer 2 (again, for the tweak factor). Bass - Amplitube's Ampeg version. Keys - Kontakt Komplete or Reason 4, or Lounge Lizard. I just like having the option to change out stuff later...

Rootwitch,

Welcome to the Forum!

Being able to re-work the effects on a track is a great convenience. Only after two years of working with plugins, do I feel comfortable applying them as effects on a track. And generally, I prefer sequenced synthetic drums to a live player (although I'll never admit it anywhere but here Cheesy).

With guitar and electric bass, I find it easier to just go back and perform the track again with altered effects. The riffs won't be identical, but having a second go at a track will often result in a better performance, having had some time to consider the composition and polish up my chops a bit.

Effecting a dry guitar track is something I want to try sometime - it could be a very good thing, once I get accustomed to laying down the track with no effects on the guitar.

Oren.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:37:44 AM »

Effecting a dry guitar track is something I want to try sometime - it could be a very good thing, once I get accustomed to laying down the track with no effects on the guitar.

Oren.
Just a suggestion...

How about splitting the signal from the guitar itself and sending one line through your normal playing environment, and the other (via a suitable 'flat' mixer) direct to the soundcard?

That way it won't sound strange while you're playing, but will have a completely clean signal recorded.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 01:21:39 PM »

Just a suggestion...
How about splitting the signal from the guitar itself and sending one line through your normal playing environment, and the other (via a suitable 'flat' mixer) direct to the soundcard?
That way it won't sound strange while you're playing, but will have a completely clean signal recorded.

Workable...yes, good idea! That's what we refer to as "bringing the old noodle into play" Cheesy Thanks, Will. Cool

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »

OK..for you, yes, I would be happy to.

I was out of power for 2 days, and just finished giving a guitar lesson..as soon as my head stops spinning.   Wink

Cool

Wyatt

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »

Here you go Oren:

http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.php?topic=3152.0

I would love to be a fly on the wall if you were tweaking this baby!

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »

http://www.kara-moon.com/forum/index.php?topic=3152.0
I would love to be a fly on the wall if you were tweaking this baby!

Thanks! Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: