Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:11:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did we get to?  (Read 18489 times)
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:58:16 AM »

....update on the "sample sequencer band-in-a-box" project Tongue

Ardour( http://ardour.org/ ) has recorded my guitar input, and the best bits are now individual .wav files that I'll import back into a fresh Ardour project to effect them and trim up the files so they're suitable to use as samples in Jackbeat( http://www.samalyse.com/jackbeat/ ). So far it has proved itself a very capable audio editor - at least the equal of Audacity.
The plan is to end up with 12 staccato bass notes, 12 sustained bass notes, a kick(bass) drum sound, and a "snare"drum sound.
Later I'll try some "pads" in major and minor chords, and some more creative percussion sounds.

Some sort of example will be ready for posting within a week - unless I fry too many brain cells in the process... Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:01:38 AM by Oren » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 07:55:34 AM »

Great Oren, sounds interesting
Looking forward to the result  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »

As I work with Ardour and learn to accomplish the tasks that I would normally do with PowerTracks Pro and Audacity, the versatility of the program becomes evident. Preparing samples for audio sequencing is a good exercise....and now it becomes apparent that Ardour will do a good job of sequencing those samples! Jackbeat is a slightly more convenient way to compose and play the sequence (and interfaces well with Ardour through JACK), so I'll continue with it, but Ardour is really impressive Shocked

So far I only have one (ya, one Cheesy) sample I'm happy with, but now that the process is clear, more will come along relatively quickly.... Roll Eyes

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 01:02:24 AM »

I'm in the process of upgrading my operating system from "Gutsy Gibbon" to Ubuntu version 8.04 LTS "Hardy Heron". wOO

Over 800 megabytes of new content. My 3 gigahertz dual core processor will take more than half an hour to install the upgrades, and that's after downloading the files!

Update: It's here, and it's beautiful, but.....now it's time to reconfigure the audio applications Shocked - more work than I had anticipated, but an opportunity to start fresh and streamline things Cool

Further update: JACK is re-configured; all else seems intact, with no adjustments necessary.
                         Ardour is greatly improved, with a new screen that is very legible and easy on the eyes.
                         Firefox is loaded as version 3 Beta 5 - very fast.
                         Audacity is updated to version 1.3.4, and will now load without interfering with JACK (although still does not show up as a
                                                                         JACK client)
                         Rosegarden opened, and immediately asked for "Sox", which I downloaded and installed from the repository.

The updated operating system seems completely functional, and a significant improvement  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:35:31 AM by Oren » Logged

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 01:01:38 PM »

I'm in the process of upgrading my operating system..

The updated operating system seems completely functional, and a significant improvement  Smiley

If this is a significant improvement, then we certainly have something to look forward to from
you..especially considering the incredible quality of your last couple of offerings.

Like the guy said: "perseverance furthers"..oh yeah..that was you.   Smiley

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »

...we certainly have something to look forward to from
you..especially considering the incredible quality of your last couple of offerings...

Good morning, Wyatt!

(easy now, I don't work well under pressure Cry Cheesy)

Today I'll take the Ogg Vorbis files of the spoken-word vocals Daran sent me, import them into Ardour at 96,000Hz, make the necessary edits and tonal adjustments, and mix them into "Hell Has No Dominion" as the final addition to Marc JX8P's synthesizer masterpiece.
This will be the new Ardour's shakedown cruise.... Cool

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 07:21:01 PM »

Glad to hear the upgrade went so smoothly. Looks like you're rapidly becoming the ubuntu expert Cool

Incidentally audacity has a strange way of behaving with jack. It only appears as a client when it is actually in play or record mode. This can make it a bit of a pain to route (but it is possible with a bit of lateral thinking).

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 12:04:52 AM »

Glad to hear the upgrade went so smoothly. Looks like you're rapidly becoming the ubuntu expert Cool
Incidentally audacity has a strange way of behaving with jack. It only appears as a client when it is actually in play or record mode. This can make it a bit of a pain to route (but it is possible with a bit of lateral thinking).

Will,

It might be more accurate to say I'm becoming "less befuddled" Cheesy

I'll toy with Audacity from a lateral point of view (very natural for me), and eventually get it to shake hands with JACK.

As always, your interest is appreciated.

Oren.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: