Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:47:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 50W Guitar amp  (Read 4444 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: April 06, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »

After years of prevaricating I really want to get my hands dirty and build another one of these. However I don't play guitar (only played rhythm over 30 years ago), so what I need is someone who is interested in using such a beast and isn't too far away!

I have two design ideas in mind. One is a classic valve job with 2 * KT88 as the output bottles. The other is a minimum feedback transistor design I've used with some success before. This has a clipping 'softener' of my own design that makes the overdrive characteristics similar to a valve amp.

I don't want to attempt to get into audio cabinet design, so would want to connect the amp to a 'standard' speaker cab. Also, certainly at first, I would like to provide just a single line input (probably at around 100mV - so a guitar could in fact be plugged in directly) and volume control.

My experience is that most guitarists have their own favoured effects so wouldn't particularly want them built into the amp.

If anyone is interested in either of these projects (I would only be able to take on one at a time!) they could have the final unit at cost price. This would be conditional on them actually liking the result of course!

P.S.

When I say 50W I mean continuous sine wave power, no silly hyped up figures!

<edit>

I think I should point out that a valve amp typically costs 5-7 times the transistor equivalent Sad
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:49:08 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »

After years of prevaricating ...

Hi Will..

..I think you meant to say procrastinating.  Wink

This sounds like a super deal for somebody.

I don't guess you'd be moving to Oklahoma any time soon, eh?

Hmm..didn't think so.

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:37:44 PM »

Well, they both start with 'pr' and end in 'ating' close enough innit?

Oh OK Cheesy

Sorry, mate. Not thinking of moving at all these days - 20 years ago I might have been interested!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:06:04 PM »

Well, they both start with 'pr' and end in 'ating' close enough innit?

..close enough!  Wink

Sorry, mate. Not thinking of moving at all these days - 20 years ago I might have been interested!

..yep..I know what you mean..time slides by..anyway, the amp sounds like a cool project.

All the best,

Wyatt

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: