Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:07:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help re:sound card  (Read 10136 times)
ziyben

« on: June 02, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

My Sound Blaster Live card ,on an XP platform, has worked very well. I was thinking of moving on to something like the X-fi.  Mainly because Live worked well , that these cards don't break the piggy bank and are retailed everywhere.
h
However,having read the comments here, I am having second thoughts. So here are the questions:
1. If I should by X-fi or a similar card without a Direct MIDI connection , how do I combine external MIDI?
2. Is there another MIDI capable card with better audio quality at the same price range?
If you recommend something you have used or are using, I would be grateful.
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »

Well, I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I use the M-audio Audiophile 2496 which seems to be used successfully by millions of others, and I can't say a wrong word about it.
It does audio and midi with very low latency.....I don't even know it's there!
And it is very well priced.
 Wink
James

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:56:41 PM »

...I use the M-audio Audiophile 2496 which seems to be used successfully by millions of others, and I can't say a wrong word about it.
It does audio and midi with very low latency.....I don't even know it's there!
And it is very well priced.

Another vote for the M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

Be aware that the software supplied by Creative Labs for their Soundblaster cards tends to condition users into a "no-brainer" mode. I started with an Audigy Platinum card complete with front panel access, augmented surround sound, and a spiffy remote control. It took me some time and effort to learn the more "business-like" software package from M-Audio.

Another bonus with M-Audio: it works very well with Linux operating systems - specifically Ubuntu Studio and 64 Studio.

Oren.

* Linux Master.jpg (57.12 KB, 600x480 - viewed 634 times.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:26:01 PM by Oren » Logged

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »

... and I'm another 2496-er. Never had a sniff of a problem with it.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:56:26 PM »

I recently upgraded to emu from the 2496....not because I ever had any problems with the m-audio card (never did), I just wanted a bit more flexibility. The card has a midi jack, so I don't think you could go wrong with that card for the price.

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

That card is great if you only need 2 tracks in.
 If you need more, check the M-Audio Delta 1010lt.  Another workhorse that never complains.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »

I use a '0404' and I'm happy with it...it seems I'm the only one still with an emu card. Embarrassed
...all the regulars here use M-audio  Shocked
I keep in mind your positive experience and save your advice for my next Daw/PC
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:26:51 PM »

I use a '0404' and I'm happy with it...it seems I'm the only one still with an emu card. Embarrassed

Allmost the only one: I still have an 1820m on my second system and it's the best sound card I have ever owned !  Wink

Moon
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:49:05 PM »

Allmost the only one:

Nope, I have the emu on my new system. The 2496 is on the old system.

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:06:44 AM »

I have an EMU 1212M, and with the help of some generous telephone support years ago, it works flawlessly. I am just fortunate that I saved a few setups before they dropped their phone support, or I would be out of luck.

Creative Labs has been finding numerous new and creative ways to screw its customers in the last couple of years, and I will never buy another thing from them..ever..me and thousands of people who think like I do.

When a company starts to strip features from their drivers to eliminate features you already paid for, and thus force you to upgrade your purchase, it is time to tell them to kiss my @ss, to put it politely.

When the time comes to replace this card, the M-Audio Delta 1010 will be my next one.

When folks around here start calling something a work horse, it's a good idea to listen up..you just got some advice from the best of the best.

Best o' luck to ye..

Cool

Wyatt
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 02:09:13 AM by Wyatt » Logged

ziyben

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:19:13 PM »

Thank you, thank you ,thank you for all responses. I am checking out M-Audio .
Alienz

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »

EMU 0404 here  Wink
Still understand %*%& about the virtual mixer, routing etc but hey, i got sound!  Grin
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »

EMU 0404 here  Wink
Still understand %*%& about the virtual mixer, routing etc but hey, i got sound!  Grin

Yeah, it's a bit complicated and since I found a working configuration I saved it and never touched it again  Grin
Alienz

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 11:50:36 PM »

EMU 0404 here  Wink

Yeah, it's a bit complicated and since I found a working configuration I saved it and never touched it again  Grin

I'm gonna try plugging my basguitar (via pre-amp) soon, I hope i got the configuration right for that, I found a site explainng step for step how to do it but I just dont understand 'how' it works, I cant get my head around it with the sends etc  Huh And I used to work as a soundtechnician!!! Cheesy
Anyway, I dont want to put any people of from bying an EMU, I think they are very versatile cards, true the mixer is complicated but in the end it lets you connect almost anything to everything. I also bought it for the onboard fx, though I stil havent tried them yet. And the sound is just sooooooooooooo much better than the soundblaster live i had before, a real 'ear-opener' Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: