Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:14:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: All Of My Sunrises (are shades of grey)  (Read 14662 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: July 06, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »

I decided to start a new thread with this as it has morphed very considerably from its starting point!

Here is the complete song with James doing the singing and bass playing - I got the easy part - pootling about with the synth Smiley

I think James' voice really suits this song.

Comments welcome of course, and I hope you enjoy this.

* Sunrises.mp3 (3256.13 KB - downloaded 315 times.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 10:14:30 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »

Will and James, this is excellent!

James’s voice is a perfect fit for the Will’s pads, or visa-versa I suppose.

This is a winner.

The older I get the better I was!
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:39:22 PM »

Yes ! that's a very good vocal line for such a slow number.
Well done guys

Cheers
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »

Thanks a lot guys. This has been a real challenge both technically and artistically. It's also the very fastest I've seen the development of an idea to a finished work.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

Will and James, this is excellent!
James’s voice is a perfect fit for the Will’s pads, or visa-versa I suppose.

A finely crafted song, in every way.

One observation: if a bit of delay and reverb were applied to James' vocal, it would blend more naturally with Will's ZynAddSubFX, creating a better integrated "soundscape".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 09:37:28 AM by Oren » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:16:33 PM »

Will,

Holy s**t Sir,this compostion of yours is the most beautifully ethereal piece of music you've ever done and I mean that sincerely with all my heart.

James also did a wonderful job on this and the overall clarity of this song is absolutely stunning! Shocked Cheesy

I agree with Oren,that there should be some effetcs added to James's voice and maybe some sort of vocal enhancer as well-like a mid-range boost to make his voice more pronounced perhaps?

Will,I think you've really out-done yourself with this song and this is a classic-quality song that I'll treasure for years to come-a definate keeper! wOO

Cheers,

Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 05:05:04 PM »

Very nice composition. The ingredients of this song works well together. I was expected a second voice though, like James's famous flute (?), or perhaps a short instrumental break (just a suggestion... )

Well done !

Moon
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »

Now I'm really happy

Strange James is being so quiet - I think we should drag him out to take a bow Grin

@Oren
I deliberately left James' vocal unprocessed so that it would be in front of the synth - maybe it's too far forward. I'll take another look at it in a few days after the dust has settled.

@Thom
It is really great to have our work appreciated this much wOO
As I said, I'll have another look at this later to see if I can make any (careful) improvements.

@Moon
On it's first outing all the verses were joined together. I put the 4 chord bridge sections in to give more space (it meant James had to record the bass part again). I did think about a longer instrumental section, and another harmonising voice, but I was afraid of detracting from the song itself.

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:52 PM »

Thanks for all the positive comments.
I honestly feel like taking a 'back seat' with this one.
It's Will's song. His music. His wonderful lyrics. His arrangement and mix.
I'm just happy to be able to translate his story to the listener.
As for the treatment of the vocal...I did try, in my own mix, a little reverb and other processing, but felt that the lyric itself demanded a rather *plain* treatment. I think Will got it right.
 Wink
James

TristezaOrange

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 12:16:29 PM »

Lovely work!!  Smiley It reminds me a bit of Yo La Tengo, and coming from such a big fan of theirs, it's a huge compliment!  Smiley

Download my "Aerial And Trail EP" for free on Jamendo or buy it for peanuts at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »

I really am pleasantly surprised to see this commented on again. And really honored by your comparison.

- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 01:49:09 PM »

Will..this song is so beautiful..a masterfully lovely composition,
and I am so glad to hear you in this one, James. You're a natural
for this.

Bravo, gents.

Cool

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »

Well, I seem to be into remixes in a big way lately Roll Eyes

In this case Wyatt has done some additional cleanup to James' vocal and added a little reverb.

So what are the opinions?
Better?
As good (but different)?
Worse?

* Sunrises_New_Mix.ogg (4498.28 KB - downloaded 282 times.)

- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »

Grin
Excellent treatment, maestro.  Kiss
I have learned a lot, over recent months, about my *elderly* brother's accomplishments with *soundcrafting*.
It transpires that he has the ears of a bat and can hear the slightest sign of a fart from three hundred paces .... then has the knowledge and software to entirely obliterate that fart.
Well done, brother.
I appreciate the difference.
 Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 11:48:56 PM »

This version clearly has more dynamic range & better stereo imaging..thanks to Wyatt's tinkering...and the reverb on the vocals was an ideal move. Cool
However though,I'm not clear as to whether or not the Ogg Vorbis makes a noticeable difference,because of the enhancements.

At this point,all I know,is that I've been much happier with the overall sound quality of my recordings,ever since I have been exporting my songs directly from my multi-tracker and using Audacity to convert them.

Simply eliminating my crappy component cd burner & FreeRip from the process,I've improved things dramatically,so it may take me quite a bit of time to tinker around with Ogg Vorbis for me to notice the differences between O.V. & the new & improved MP3 conversion I have with Audacity.

-Thom

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: