Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:36:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So many songs....  (Read 4048 times)
Alienz

« on: July 19, 2008, 12:41:23 AM »

Hi all,
I was making a sort of demo-cd for someone who might use some of my tracks for some short movies and almost got drowned in my own tracks, there's just so many, a lot of the tracks I wanted to put on there were lost somewhere, i know I still got them but just cant remember the names of those tracks!  Huh
While browsing in my files for those tracks I found a lot of other stuff i didnt even know I made and some didnt sound bad at all but in the end it almost depressed me cause a lot of those tracks deserve getting finished but I just dont know where to start, there's just so many!
In short my problem is not finishing tracks maybe? It seems so hard sometimes to get the balance right between making new stuff and finishing old stuff. And WHEN is a track finished? When I still played in bands it was actually easier i think sometimes, the track is finished when you got no more money left to pay the recording engineer  Cheesy
but maybe thats also the drawback with all the DAWs now, you can keep adding stuff and recalling/changing stuff ad nauseam?
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:19:37 PM »

There is no such thing as a 'finished' song. There is always something more you can do with it - whether you should is another question Smiley

I've got a whole heap of musical bits and pieces. I even maintain a folder called 'Odd Bits'. Occasionally I have a rummage around there, and pull out something interesting. I'm sure someone has been chucking their 'spares' in. There is stuff I can't remember ever playing Grin

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:20:44 PM »

My solution:
Evaluate a composition: establish where you can realistically take it; do the work and get it there; then, label it done.

At another time, when your skills are improved, your equipment is upgraded, or your tastes have evolved, re-evaluate and determine if you want to embark on a new version. Make it a completely fresh project, and resist the urge to scrap the original version - they co-exist as separate entities, reflecting important phases of your artistic development.

This approach provides a context in which the process can be enjoyed in bite-size pieces. Mmmmm...tastes good! Cheesy

Alienz

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:48:28 PM »

Thanx for your replies and tips guys  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: