Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:19:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A bit of Irish  (Read 8118 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: July 24, 2008, 10:09:52 PM »

I don't seem to have had much time recently for anything new, but when digging around in my 'bits and pieces' folder I found this one.
I recorded it sometime last year with a view to making it into a 'tune set'. This is a style which we use in folk clubs where two or three tunes are 'run together' to make a set. There is often a key or tempo change between the tunes. I never did get round to making the follow up so this is a short tune on it's own.
This is a traditional tune by the 17th century blind Irish harpist called Turlough O'Carolan. He wrote hundreds of tunes, many of which are standards still played today in the folk world.
It is called Si Beag Si Mor (pronounced Shebeg Shemore) and is said to be about two hills on which a great battle took place (in Irish mythology) and is reputed to be the first tune that O'Carolan wrote.
Something a little different for you to enjoy!
 Wink
James

* shebeg3.mp3 (3540.31 KB - downloaded 297 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 07:02:52 PM »

James,

I still have yet to be moved by Irish music(aside from old U2 from the 80's & Enya Grin),but the authenticity of this piece of music is quite impressive. Shocked Smiley

A job very well done.

Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »

James, this is super!

I really like the mix. Everything fit perfectly.

This sounds like it came from a professional studio, IMO!

GREAT song with super chops!

The older I get the better I was!
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 08:42:54 PM »

This is very, very good wOO

Not much doubt about where your artisitic roots are!

Oh, did I say it's good? Just in case I forgot:

This is very, very good wOO

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »

Thanks for the comments, all.
@thom
I still have yet to be moved by Irish music(aside from old U2 from the 80's & Enya
if you want to be moved by Irish music try googling Planxty, or Christy Moore, or Donal Lunny....just for starters. I've always found a wealth of passion and atmosphere in Irish music but one of my least favourite bands of all time were U2.  Strange, isn't it?
 Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 05:52:59 AM »

James,

I checked out Planxty on YouTube & listened to "Little Musgrave" from a live performance,which was quite pretty....then...then....
...I came across one of Julie Fowlis's videos & I was DEEPLY moved by here singing & the music.
In fact,Julie is nothing short of a slice of heaven-so incredibly lovely!

After listening to 3 of here songs on MySpace,I was already purusing her tour dates for her U.S. venues....all the songs I've listened to thus far,have all been in Scottish Gaelic,but no matter,as even though I know none of it,I was quite smitten just the same...made me want to learn the language-I might as well,since I'm half a Scott! Grin

Thanks for opening my eyes to this new world,that may have very well passed me by completely,were it not for your navigation! wOO

If there are any tickets left,I plan on seeing Julie Fowlis in Philadelphia this September.

Cheers,

Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »

Nicely done, James 

Celtic music has been largely mis-represented to the world, and in spite of the fact I don't play it, I've been fascinated by the phenomenon for years. It helps to keep in mind that the Celts had an advanced understanding of music and sound, and they were a passionate and creative people.
Some of the Celtic performers are attempting to re-capture these nuances from earlier times, and from what little I've heard of it, the sound is spectacular.

One of my favourite Celtic performers is a Canadian - Ashley McIsaac. What he may lack in tact, he makes up for in sheer creative abandon... wOO

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »

Solid track and very expressive playing.
Well done James

Cheers
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:20:31 PM »

@thom,
Thanks for your investigations.
I had never heard of Julie Fowlis until now!
Great discovery. I'll certainly be looking at more of this.
 Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 09:59:11 PM »

She has a lovely voice.

Looks nice too - <ouch> sorry ... I'll get my coat ...

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
SoundKlops

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 10:56:25 AM »

Hi James,

very good. Exactly what my ears need sometimes.

Andreas
Frederik

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »

Soothing music, nicely done  Cheesy

frederik
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: