Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:57:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: External effects processor advice needed  (Read 13201 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: August 05, 2008, 03:41:52 PM »

I bought a Zoom effects processor(RFX 2200) & I have a Peavey 10 channel mixer(PV10) & I am having a terrible time trying to determine the right connection configuration. Huh
The configuration in the Zoom manual tells me to connect the "effects send" outputs of the mixer(L/R) to the inputs of the processor(L/R) and then connect the outputs of the processor to the return inputs of the mixer(L/R).

It seemed simple enough to hook up,but the only effects inputs that the Peavey has,is one "insert" input for each of the first 6 line inputs.

It's pretty clear to me that I cannot use the configuration as suggested in the Zoom manual,but I am completely clueless as to how to choose the right configuration-especially since I am so puzzled as to how I'm going to be able to hear the effects in stereo?!!
Meaning that the only stereo inputs on the mixer are inputs 7 through 10.

This is my first external effects processor,so I am so lost,that I cannot even take a wild guess as to what to do.
I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone might have that have experience with such set-ups.

Thanks,

Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:37:08 PM »

Thom,

I have a high regard for Peavey products - simple, roadworthy, and they work. Is there nothing in the Peavey manual about how to implement effects?

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:47:05 PM »

Oren,

Thanks for responding so quickly...the manual is very brief & basic.While it does explain the functions of each knob,button & jack,it does not go on further to explain connections to other devices & it certainly does not offer any diagrams for configurations.
It just dawned on me to check thier website-perhaps there will be more info there.

Thanks,

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »

I went on Peavey's website & discovered why my manual is so basic...it's because it's not really a manual,but rather a quick guide.

Peavey does in fact have a complete manual,but you have to PURCHASE thier manual for $7.50(paperback) & $20.00 for a notebook style publication.

What the f**k? Angry What is the world coming to,when a person actually has to pay for literature that's suppose to come with the purchase of a product?

I just might replace this mixer with a Mackie brand and I certainly won't buy another Peavey product for as long as I live! Angry

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:43:42 PM »

I think I've pretty much solved my dilema....I went on Mackie's website & took a gander at the new 1202-VLZ3 12 channel mixer and this mixer has stereo returns laid out on thier mixer plain as day-because this mixer actually HAS stereo returns on it.
With regard to the Zoom processor...thankfully this effects unit has a mic input built right in,so I'm going to route my vocals this way and connect my Alesis Ion directly into the effects unit and run all of this back into my Peavey mixer,until such time as I can come up with the green to by the Mackie mixer.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »

For what it's worth you have my sympathy Undecided

This seems to be an increasing trend. In my (electronics) field a lot of industrial control modules are programmable. You pay 200ukp for the controller, then have to spend as much again for the programming software Angry

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »

Thom,

I had a look at their 35-page on-line PDF manual. You have a Chinese manufactured Peavey, which in my books, means it's not really a Peavey at all.

As I understand it, manufacturing in China is cheap because the workers are getting screwed over, and quality control is low. For the most part, these people are working in horrid conditions for very low wages. Frequently, sub-standard components are installed in a further effort to keep the price low.
In  some cases, political dissidents are detained and sent to "re-education facilities" where they work long hours for no pay.
(A gentleman from our city was just released from such a facility after two years of detention following a visit to file an official complaint with Chinese authorities before returning home from visiting his family in China. I believe he was sewing Nike soccer balls...)

If you're going to go with a Mackie, may I suggest an American-made unit?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:27:10 PM by Oren » Logged

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 10:33:03 PM »

Oren,

I am certainly all for you suggesting an american made unit,but I'm afraid of what it may cost? Shocked
Incidentally,Kurzweil-the supposed all-american company-is now in fact,a Korean company-which I suppose is good & bad,but perhaps better than China overall. Undecided

Although thier manufacturing plant in Massachusetts is no longer there,there research & development is located there and Dave Weiser of R/D is a good man to know.
While I do agree that the whole China state of affairs is horrendous and that it does impact the quality & in some cases severely,the main issue that I am having with the Peavey mixer personally,is the design of the product itself,rather than a reliability issue.
I'll look into your suggestions just the same,but I think that Mackie's design and specs,far exceeds that of Peavey's and I've heard alot of good buzz over the new Mackie line of mixers,which are the VLZ-series.

Thanks,

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »

Will,

Thanks for your sympathy-I appreciate it. Smiley I think that from now on,I need to be considerably more cautious & pragmatic in choosing a new product for my studio,but sometimes I don't realize at the time I am purchasing something,that my needs will change a bit,as my studio is always evolving.

Oddly enough though,sometimes miracles do happen-which is that not all products coming from China are bad in design & functionality,even though the conditions under which the products are manufactured are very poor for the most part.

Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 03:05:07 AM »

I am certainly all for you suggesting an american made unit,but I'm afraid of what it may cost? Shocked

Thom,
An interesting corollary question to yours is: "If I don't buy American/Canadian/European, what may it cost?"

Americans and Canadians make a lot of money, and work in enviable conditions. The reputable companies use quality components. This is reflected in the price of their products. But they work - for many years, problem free. I still have gear I purchased 25 years ago. A bargain in the long run.

An even bigger bargain is this same quality gear, purchased used. I make $10.50 an hour and only work three nights a week at our local international hostel, so I look around for the best gear from a private seller (not a dealer) who is upgrading. And I pay their asking price - no bargaining. $100 for a world-class computer sound card. $18.00 for a pair of AKG K240 headphones made in Austria.  $25.00 for a set of Cambridge Soundworks monitors. (There is even money left over to spend $1400.00 on a new G&L guitar and a new custom designed Linux computer. Bonus  Grin)

So, it might be in your best interest to find your gear on the used market, from the original owner, and only the very best items, made by a reputable domestic manufacturer.

It gets interesting, friend  Afro

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »

Oren,

I have an AKG Perception 100 micophone-designed in Austria,made in China.I have a pair of Adam A7's-which are considered among the most reliable & accurate monitors on the market...designed in Germany,manufactured overseas(probably China).
Most of what these two companies make,are made in thier home country,but these two particular products are the exception and they are built exceptionally well...I can't speak for 10 years down the road,but I suspect that they will fair well(not all quality control overseas is the same).
I've owned Korg keyboards for 20 years and never had a single problem(the memory card fiasco in an earlier post was operator error).
Korg is manufactured in Japan and thier products are among some of the most reliable out there.
You're right,Americans do make alot of money and I live in a state that has some of the most wealthiest people per capita in the nation,but I'm not one of them.

I make $843.oo a month on my permanent disablity check & I'm retired,due to my disability...car insurance & rent in this state is astronomically high and the only reason I can afford to live in this state,is due to the fact that I was fortunate enough to find susbidized housing.
The rent here is $1100.oo a month,but I pay $213.oo & the state pays the rest.

For the merchandise you bought,it's smart to buy used & something like headphones & monitors are harmless enough to take a chance on used,but in general,I'm not that trusting and I'm afraid to buy something on Ebay & leaving myself open to getting shafted and having no warranty is a bummer.

I would consider maybe purchasing a Clavia Nord Lead 2X used,but I can't think of too much else I would want to take risks on.

Recently,Americans were given economic stimulus check rebates by the government,so between that & Zzounds.com's payment plans,I chose to go with new products.
Another thing to think about too,is the American dollar is terribly weak in buying power,because of the tremendous amount of outsourcing that goes on in this country,so you'd be hard pressed to find what you want that's made in this country and for those like me who are just scraping by & living in a affluent area,my options are limited.
I would love for Kurzweil to be American made,but as things are now,if Kurzweil was American made,I'd be paying $10,000 for a keyboard that is now $2,000 and if it was American made,I would not even be able to afford buying it used.

Your input is noble,ideal & smart friend,but it's hard enough combing through the market to find exactly what you need,without seriously limiting your options by solely relying on used products.

Nice conversing with you,

Thom Cool

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

...Nice conversing with you...

Oh yeah!  wOO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: