Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:24:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fair Isle  (Read 11716 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 09:55:41 PM »

Will,

Sorry to offend you pallet,but I'm perversely drawn to the ska element in this song!
 Evil Shocked Grin

Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »

James,

I hold you in high regard as well,so any & all of your opinions are of course,welcomed.
I know & respect your love for celtic music & you being a completely organic musician,I can completely understand your distaste for the direction I've taken this piece into.
However though,the ska theme was deliberate & pre-meditated and I enjoy the contrasts between the infusion of the different genres.
The type of ska I used is known as "Third Wave Ska",which is an infusion of Jamaican Ska,American & British 2-Tone(which is a medley of punk rock & pop),so that being said,I am not willing to change the notation of the percussion track.

From a technical standpoint,the bpm's have never changed,because the entire song remains at 170 bpm's,so if you were to dance to this song,you really don't have to break your stride and that's the underlying theme to this song.

As Issac Hayes once said,"I broke the laws of music by introducing a unconventional element,but I figured that if I could hear it in my head,then I must be able to play it".
Musicians have been deviating from traditional genres for at least 50 years and on one side of the fence,I may be irritating to some ears,but on the other side,I just might be able to grab the attention of some of this generation,that would otherwise never have a interest in celtic music.

Understand though,that I would never want to see Julie Fowlis go in this direction,because she has done such a wonderful job at ressurecting an ancient style of Scottish music & making it her own.

When I see a band live,I much prefer a full piece band with little or no electronic instruments.

Who knows,I just may at some point,come up with an entirely new version of this song-in the style you suggested....in fact,if you would like to do a collab in making a more organic version of this,I am certainly up for that friend. Cool

Also,I'd give you free reign in taking this song in whatever direction you see fit-two versions are better than one. Cheesy

Thanks for listening,

Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 11:11:04 PM »

Thom, you have done a fantastic job of perfectly blending three totally different genres of music into one extremely good piece of music. Great job on the continuity and flow of this!

I do agree with the intro.  I think you should just cut the length of it in half.  But that is just me.

A very intricate piece of music expertly played!

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 11:55:13 PM »

Mario,

I'll definately reconstruct the beginning somehow,but I won't shorten,as I think the song may become too brief.

Thanks very much for your compliments. Cool

Thom

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: