Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:32:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In Under The Wire  (Read 6675 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: September 24, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »

Well I've been battling for most of this month (amongst very many other things) trying to get something together for the KVR contest. The three greatest hills I had to climb were:

Vocal: failed and got in 'outside' help.
Bass: Mostly successful now I think.
Percussion: Hmmm.

It became a real last minute race with Adj doing the vocal, suggesting some changes and overlaying other instrumental parts. I'm not overly keen on some of the earlier bits, but very much like the Sax, and his input (as well as making it possible to put this in) has given me ideas for more work I can do on it.

Anyway, have a listen and see what you think.

P.S.
If anyone criticises the bass except Rony I'll... I'll... sulk Tongue

* 0809_Folderol_Where_Have_The_Rainbows_Gone.mp3 (3013.51 KB - downloaded 226 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »

Will,
I think this has turned out extremely well.
Having heard the provisional version, and making comparisons, it is quite a stellar performance.
First off, you must have been listening to my bass parts 'cos this is exactly as I would have played it.  Lips Sealed
Some of the extra stuff from Alex, particularly the sax, is first class. An extra dimension added.
I'm not so sure about his approach to the vocal. My own opinion is that the song itself should command more respect towards a traditional treatment.....but that is probably the *old man syndrome*.  Roll Eyes
Anyway.... you certainly have my vote over there.  Grin

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:52:11 PM »

Will,

The only criticism I have towards this song,would be that the arrangement should be tighter...more allegro.
I feel I must stress this point,because this is a very pretty song & it deserves extra attention in this area.
The atmosphere of this song has a very eerie,but ethereal quality,as it's very immersive & haunting...like that of a Pink Floyd song. Cool

I really enjoyed the mood of this song,as you have quite a knack for conjuring up beautiful melodies. Cheesy

Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:04:25 AM »

First off, you must have been listening to my bass parts 'cos this is exactly as I would have played it.  Lips Sealed
Some of the extra stuff from Alex, particularly the sax, is first class. An extra dimension added.
I'm not so sure about his approach to the vocal. My own opinion is that the song itself should command more respect towards a traditional treatment.....

Like Thom said: a Pink Floyd vibe (if they had the good taste and restraint of a certain Folderol)

As to the vocal - the song has elements of traditional music and elements of modern electronica, and your vocalist chose the second theme around which to fashion his performance, and brilliantly so! I think it could have gone either way with equally pleasing results.

One of your most innovative efforts to date.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 06:08:13 AM »

ok,ok I won't say anything about the bass  Roll Eyes
or actually, yes I will, 'it's spot on' 

It's a great song, good arrangement and terrific performance.
The only thing I would have changed is the organ type sound, it sounds a tad to happy for the song, a bit of a darker sound would have fitted better, I think ?

Good luck with the contest, you deserve a place in that top 3  Afro

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »

Thanks a lot for your encouragement and comments guys. This has been a real learning curve. I will definitely do more work on it.

I'm actually considering taking it two ways in parallel. As an instrumental with better matching of instruments, and tighter detail, but the alternative version more as a song, with actually less instrumental backing, and better spacing for the singer.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »

Folderol, this one had me captivated from the start!

Great production.  I think the vox is super, as is the total arrangement.

This has “air time” written all over it.

Two thumbs up  wOO wOO

The older I get the better I was!
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner..the new post quick link doesn't show me *all* the new posts.

So many good comments here for this marvelous piece. Very sad and to the point.

This is a grand production to me..so much there and so well handled.

Glad you got it done!

Cool

Wyatt

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 06:42:43 PM »

This has “air time” written all over it.
Wow! Thanks a lot Mario.
This is a grand production to me..so much there and so well handled.

Glad you got it done!

Wyatt
I'm so glad you like this. Incidentally I'm still playing catch-up  Roll Eyes

- Will
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »

Great one indeed !
it sound truly inspired, fine vocals, and production-wise I must say it stays on solid ground and it avoids falling into the muddy traps that I think are in the path after choosing this kind of arrangement.
A keeper

Cheers
Frederik

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:46:52 AM »

I'm very late with my reply; all has been said before.

I'll just say that I like this very much; I think the singer has a great voice (timbre) for these kind of sad songs.

fred
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: