Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:47:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A trustworthy & free mp3 converter software?  (Read 4840 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 24, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »

On my previous pc,my cd-rom was able to read audio cd's that were not finalized and that's how I have been posting my music,but I just threw in a new cd into my component cd burner,so I can't use the FreeRip software until I fill up the cd & finalize it.
As an alternate solution to this,I read through my Zoom 8HD manual to learn how to export audio data files directly from my multi-tracker,into my pc-which was simple enough.

However though,since FreeRip only converts from cd's,I had to specifically look for software that would convert wav files to MP3(I lost my free version of Audacity when the other pc was infected).
Here is the problem I ran into;

I went to the Audacity2008.com website to download the software again,but Audacity-all of a sudden,does not offer a free version anymore. Angry

I then went to Cnet.com & conducted a search on Cnet's search engine & the free software I was about to download,caused a warning icon to pop up,which said that the publisher was unknown(because there was no digital signature)?

I thought Cnet was a trusted website,but aparrently not and I am clueless as to who to trust and I am terrified to dig any deeper to find free software. Huh

There are alot of products on the internet that start out to be free in the beginning,but then at some point,they all start charging a fee,despite all the funding from advertisements.....I really don't know where to go from here.

Even though I executed the necessary safeguards to back up my pc,I still do not want to put myself in a situation where I have to crash my pc & reboot it,everytime I want to download new software...at least that's the fear I'm living with....I'm so frichen paranoid now,I can't see straight. Undecided

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks so much,

Thom

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 06:31:05 AM »

Thom,

Audacity is an openvsource project and is still free and will (propably) allways be free.
You can donwload it here : http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 03:00:31 PM »

Thom,
I agree with Kara that audacity is still free, from the right source.
However, you do not say what software recording/sequencer set-up you intend to use with your softsynths.
On that front I would recommend Reaper (  http://reaper.fm/download.php  )
It is available as uncrippled, non-time restricted trial for free with a licence of only $50 when you do decide to buy it.  This means that, effectively, you can use it for as long as you like until you save up enough.
It is, by my tests, one of the best (lower price) recording softwares you can get hold of. It can even match (and beat) some of the big names. It will record all of your hardware synths and handle the softsynths as VSTI's. It is also extremely user friendly to learn.
In answer to your original question....with the codec pack installed it also renders to/imports from/converts almost all audio formats.
Definitely worth a look.
 Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:31:24 PM »

Kara,

Thanks so much for the link...I'm very grateful,Sir! Cheesy I'm not sure what happened the first time I found the free Audacity...all I know,is that the first time I googled it,I had stumbled upon the free version,& when I googled it again recently,all I found was the pay version.

James,

Currently,my debaucle(as it were),was to convert WAV files from my Zoom recorder,so my query was not softsynth related....but the info you provided should be very helpful to me when the time comes for me to purchase a softsynth package-so thank you for the tips! Smiley
To answer your question; once I buy the Korg M50,I will then buy the Korg Karma software for the M50 to start off with,but from then on,I'm not sure what other avenues I will embark on.
If your not familiar with the Karma software,it's some sort of advanced algorithm package,specifically for each Korg product,solely for the purpose of sound editing.

Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »

As an alternate solution to this,I read through my Zoom 8HD manual to learn how to export audio data files directly from my multi-tracker,into my pc-which was simple enough.
However though,since FreeRip only converts from cd's,I had to specifically look for software that would convert wav files to MP3(I lost my free version of Audacity when the other pc was infected).
Here is the problem I ran into;

When I want to encode to any format with the LAME codec in Windoze, this is the tool I deploy:

http://winlame.sourceforge.net/

Please keep in mind, the open-source tools are provided for us free to use and free to improve upon, but the developers rely on our donations for further testing and developments.
Every little bit helps... Cool

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »

Oren,

I'm having a terrible time importing the LAME code into the Audacity program.I made an attempt to follow the Wikipedia instructions,but I seem to be overlooking a critical,but probably a simple execution,but for the life of me,I cannot determine what I am doing wrong....I'm determined to learn how to do this,because I need to figure this out some time.

Please bear with me & forgive my ignorance,as I'm sure that once I make it over this obstacle,it sholud be smooth sailing-I hope! Undecided

Thanks,

Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: