Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:27:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cubase Le  (Read 6433 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: September 28, 2008, 06:21:01 AM »

I had received a Cubase Le disc with my Zoom recorder,so I thought I'd load it up to get acquainted with it.
One of the first things I noticed,was the presets function,whereby I can import software sounds....I was thinking about incorporating some of those free open source sounds.
I suppose I will have to buy a midi controller,so if I can find a dirt cheap model(new),that does the job fairly well,I might just do that.

Any advice and/or suggestions of any sort?

Thanks,

-Thom         P.S.-I took a quick look at the M-Audio Axiom 25..the layout seems nice,display screen & semi-weighted keys-$179...seems like a good deal...does anyone here know off-hand,if this controller is compatible with Cubase?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 06:35:48 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »

Thom,
why do you need another midi controller when you have all those keyboards?
Can't you just plug a midi cable from keyboard to PC soundcard?
That's what I do. I use the Roland, stick a jack in the headphone socket to disable any audio output, and it controls the softsynth side of things.
Is this too easy?
 Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »

James,

I thought perhaps that there might be some compatiblity issues-since I have zero experience with this sort of set up.
Aside from that though,my hardware set up is seperate from my pc,& the nearest keyboard to my pc is my Korg,but it's still a few feet away & facing a different wall...so I can't be in front of my monitor.
Also,it would be nice to be able to do recording seperately,without having to turn on my Triton.
Even though I am unable to buy a midi controller at this time,it won't be too long before I can afford one,because the M-Audio is very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Smiley

-Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:57:26 PM »

Thom, once again I must warn you. If you're used to play on a Triton, an M-Audio controller might really dissapoint you. Don't compare the keys of a good priced controller with the keys of a Triton. There are not that many midi controllers around which have really good keys, unless you go for the more expensive once like Novation.

When buying a midi control, you'll going to get what you pay for. Be sure to try out before you buy. Also take notice of the build quality (espacially the knobs and so...)

Looking to change your setup and use the quality material you're used to, as James suggested, might be the best solution.

P.S.: I'm thinking of getting me a big display (a HD television with 1920 resolution) and hang it begind my keyboards. You can almost buy one for the price of a midi controler keyboard and you can watch the news while playing the keys Wink
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 05:21:13 AM »

Moon,

My Alesis Ion is not even semi-weighted..in fact,the action is terrible,but I still have it to this day,because aside from the flimsy key-bed,the Alesis has alot to offer in other features & it was quite a bargain price-wise,so that's more important.

Yes,the Novation key-bed's are nice action-wise,but I paid $400 for that synth & the key-bed turned out to be really flimsy in terms of durablity,so I returned it.

Yes,the M-Audio controller I mentioned was very inexpensive,but then again,compared to the Novation,the M-Audio is just an empty shell(no built in sounds) & plus,the M-Audio I referred to is only 25 keys,so it makes sense that it would be cheap,but still perhaps good build quality.

If the M-Audio was available to demo at my local music store down the street,I would certainly have a look at it first,but only the SamAsh & GuitarCenter carries them,& they're both a hour's ride from my home...just not worth the trip for a small,cheap item.
Besides,I am really not too keen on making a serious purchase on a controller,as I just want to get my feet wet in the world of pc recording & I may discover down the road,that I prefer hardware recording altogether.

I am not re-arranging anything else in my studio,or getting an extra pc monitor...all I want is some input on a 25 key controller,and whatever I decide to buy,there is zero risk with buying from Zzounds online,because thier 30 return policy is excellent. Smiley

I really do appreciate your well intentioned advice & suggestions,but I am quite set on my decision to buy a small controller,so I'm going to stick with it.

Thanks,

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »

I don't know the Triton key action, but I think you'll like the Axiom 25! I recently got one for use with my laptop and was so happy with it that I got the Axiom 61 as a master keyboard for my studio. The keyboards both look great, feel sturdy and I like the feel of the keyboard and the aftertouch on it.

Also known as Marc JXP
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:26:01 PM »

Since you're happy with the Axiom,then I'm convinced I'll like it-I'm sold. Cool

Thanks Marc!

-Thom Cheesy

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 02:21:31 PM »

You're welcome! Have fun with it!

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: