Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Seymore Duncar JB  (Read 30467 times)
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 01:48:05 AM »

Beautiful guitar, Oren!! 

Yeah, I've been practicing (and practicing, and practicing). Your thoughts on the fret and string size are interesting. I had moved up to 10's originally on that Mexican Strat, but was having a difficult time bending. So, I went back to 9's and reset the action and truss. The frets are of the smaller vintage style (as you noted above), so it seems to work pretty good. We all can't be SRV I guess Cheesy

Actually, I've also been working on getting my keys in order. I'm gonnal have to have something to do when I retire at the end of the year, so I have a stage setup in mind. Bought another controller to go with my S90ES. But its a small, 61 key M-Audio. Same as one board on a Hammond. And my new laptop just arrived. I also picked up a stage mixer stand (5 wheel base) which just happens to be the prefect ticket for the laptop!!  Will be putting NI's B4 and a handful of my best softsynths on the PC to run both keyboards through. I considered an XK1 because they sound pretty damn good IMO (they really got some of the subtleties right), but I had to opt for the laptop instead as just I couldn't pass up the accoustic piano I'm getting with the bright grand patch in the S90 (direct) and a Bosendorfer softsynth in stereo   Grin  If I can sell the other 4 boards I have and save up enough pennies, I might still buy that XK1 someday.

Way too much talk about me Cheesy  I'm glad your guitar is playing great!! She surely looks gorgeous!!  It'll still be awhile until you hear anything on an axe from me Embarrassed

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »

Gents,

As soon as there's time, I'll lay down a little blues instrumental with the new Godin bass and upgraded G&L.

I like that 2 keyboard/laptop/softsynth thing you got going on, Fred! Marc JX8P is also using an M-Audio board.
Until going with the "electric bass/electric guitar/digital processor" combo for my backing tracks, I had decided to proceed with a controller keyboard and softsynths. So much potential!

The .009-.042 guage is perfect for the Mexican Strat.
Stevie Ray was a maniac to use those massive strings. Have a listen to Ingwie Malmsteen to hear big tone from light strings (and scalloped fretboard!).
I think he uses .008-.042 Shocked and DiMarzio humbuckers.

Lotsa fun.... wOO

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 09:43:05 PM »

Here's a bit from my G&L S-500. It employs G&L Magnetic Field Design single coil pickups with ceramic magnets and adjustable pole pieces.

Oh, yes... the guitar is effected with some chorus and reverb from my Digitech RP12, just my usual all-purpose settings  Cool

* G&L S-500.mp3 (4077.58 KB - downloaded 360 times.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:04:02 AM by Oren » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »

...and again in Ogg Vorbis... Roll Eyes Cheesy

* G&L S-500.ogg (2908.31 KB - downloaded 339 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 10:54:16 PM »

Mmmmmm. Sounds nice Afro

BTW Interesting way of getting two bytes of the cherry  Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 06:07:45 AM »

...BTW Interesting way of getting two bytes of the cherry...

Sorry, Will, this doesn't translate very well (or am I just a little thick this late in the day... Cheesy?)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:12 AM »

...BTW Interesting way of getting two bytes of the cherry...

Sorry, Will, this doesn't translate very well (or am I just a little thick this late in the day... Cheesy?)
One bite was the mp3
the other bite was the ogg Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »

One bite was the mp3
the other bite was the ogg Cheesy

And the cherry was... Oh, I get it Grin  Thanks!

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 09:27:02 PM »

Showoff Roll Eyes

Sounds killer. Oren!

The pickups sound nice. Any noise trouble?  Both my Strats now have "noiseless" pickups. I like them, but they're maybe not as hot as say "texas" type.

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2008, 10:31:41 AM »

The pickups sound nice. Any noise trouble?  Both my Strats now have "noiseless" pickups. I like them, but they're maybe not as hot as say "texas" type.

Those Fender "vintage noiseless" pickups are a good all-round choice, as are the Seymour Duncans. "Texas Special" pickups should be avoided unless you want that specific sound - I don't like it. Ideally, "hot " is about the player, not the pickups Roll Eyes. For a seasoned player, the stock Fender single-coils are plenty versatile enough, and the "in between" pick-up selector switch positions (#s 2 and 4) are hum-cancelling.

As you could probably tell, I'm still getting accustomed to the heavier strings and those Magnetic Field Design pickups. Leo Fender designed this pickup to have a higher output and an intense tonal focus that I find disconcerting. A very different touch is necessary, and attention to the tone controls (which I normally never adjust) can produce remarkable results - right now, for me, remarkably bad Cheesy. There is a bit of noise to them when using a distorted/overdriven sound, but less than a normal single-coil pickup.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:43:13 AM by Oren » Logged

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2008, 08:42:08 PM »

Ideally, "hot " is about the player, not the pickups Roll Eyes.

Oh damn, I thought those pickups would make me a hot player...always looking for that techinical advantage, ya know Cheesy

Actually though, I'm sort of impressed with the bridge pickup (noiseless) on my Deluxe Strat. Seems to have a pretty good pick attack with the right amp settings....maybe as good or better than the Humbucker. But the HB seems to excell better with power cord type noise. I assume however, that all good guitarists know these things, and as a novice, I'm just starting to understand.

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »

" I assume however, that all good guitarists know these things, and as a novice, I'm just starting to understand."

..welcome to my world..
  Cry

I often tinker with the idea of improving my strat, but soon realize I should improve the driver before redesigning the car
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:19:49 PM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 09:31:41 AM »

[quote author=rharv link=topic=2439.msg21798#msg21798 date=1227993377
...I often tinker with the idea of improving my strat, but soon realize I should improve the driver before redesigning the car...
[/quote]
 Grin

Yeah, Fred, the single-coil size humbuckers have a sweet sound. Did I miss something - you have a Deluxe Strat? Any photos; perhaps a review...?

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »

Yeah, Fred, the single-coil size humbuckers have a sweet sound. Did I miss something - you have a Deluxe Strat? Any photos; perhaps a review...?
One could make a very strong argument that I easily have more money than talent  Cheesy
I have that Mexican Strat, a LP Studio, Strat Deluxe, a Yamaha Acoustic, and a Shecter C1+. I'm going to sell the Shecter however, as I'm retiring at the end of the year and don't need it to practice during lunch time any longer.

Anyway, the Strat; its a two-tone burst and has the old V neck. I'll take some pictures and post them later. The main differences in the Deluxe is the locking tuners, the noiseless (cobalt sonarium) pickups, and an extra switch on the volume knob (pushes in), which gives it a little more of a Humbucker sound. Some say the noiseless pickups are a little too quite, but I've not noticed that. To me, the bridge pickup especially sounds clean and hot with the right amp settings. I've tinked around with the setup a little bit, but it came very playable from the factory. Actually I think it plays a little better than my LP which I had set up by Lucifer (luthier Cheesy). I've had to mess with that LP quite a bit to get it where it is now, which is pretty good for me.

I really, really, like both the LP and the Strat, and I constantly go back and forth between the two. They are such different guitars in the way they play and feel. The Mexican Strat also has a nice neck...extreemly smooth but not as wide as the deluxe...closer to the LP actually. The Shecter actually sounds excellent, but the next is just not wide enough for me....my short stubby fingers still get in my way Cheesy I think that Shecter might be good as a shredder, but the only thing I know how to shred is paper Embarrassed

Probably more than what you asked for, but what the heck Roll Eyes

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 05:46:46 PM »

...I have that Mexican Strat, a LP Studio, Strat Deluxe, a Yamaha Acoustic, and a Shecter C1+.
Anyway, the Strat; its a two-tone burst and has the old V neck. I'll take some pictures and post them later. The main differences in the Deluxe is the locking tuners, the noiseless (cobalt sonarium) pickups, and an extra switch on the volume knob (pushes in), which gives it a little more of a Humbucker sound... I really, really, like both the LP and the Strat, and I constantly go back and forth between the two...Probably more than what you asked for, but what the heck...

I'm turning green here, Fred. Envious of your outstanding crop of guitars. Schweet!

In Gibson-land I favour the SG, for it's comfort.
If I want the Gibson vibe but with a wider, more playable neck, I go Godin LG or LGX. 16 inch fretboard radius, generous width, and a body with contouring for ribcage and right arm, like a Strat.
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgp90flamep.htm

Looking forward to the photos of your entourage... Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: