Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:14:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 music round up  (Read 15282 times)
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: January 02, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »

OK, lets have a round up of your favourite music cd's from 2008

Here's my list of 8 cd's

1       The seldom seen kid                       - Elbow
2       Fleet foxes                                    - Fleet Foxes
3       Rockferry                                       - Duffy
4       Seventh tree                                  - Goldfrapp
5       The age of the understatement        - Last shadow puppets
6       Viva la vida                                   - Coldplay
7       Exit strategy of the soul                  - Ron Sexsmith
8       A hundred million suns                    - Snow Patrol

Looking forward to some more lists  Grin
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 06:44:52 PM »

Well, you probably won't believe it, but i managed to buy ZERO CD's this year  Shocked
There is so many good free (and legal) music on the internet  Cool

I did get the (double) DVD of the Pulse concert of Pink Floyd as a gift which I enjoy a lot

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »

Cool
Since I been involved with making my own music, (this time around over the past two years) I don't buy or listen to any music other than Kara-moon and KVR.    Lips Sealed
This may seem like a sad situation, but believe me, I was so very tired of mainstream music that these places have totally refreshed my *music buds* and kick-started me back into making my own music after a lay-off of some 30 years!   Roll Eyes
From your list, Martin, I must confess that I never liked the stuff by Coldplay, Snow Patrol or Elbow. The others I don't really know of apart from a couple of Goldfrapp single a few (?) years past.  The exception is Ron Sexsmith. I had his first couple of early albums and he was, back then, right up my street. Beautiful voice, fabulously simplistic arrangements and innovative instrumentation. Is he still as good as that?
 Wink
James

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »

All of my 2008 CD purchases were oldies.  I managed to get box sets of Grant Green, Ray Charles, Jimmy Smith and Jimmy Buffet.  I also received as gifts the Legends of Rock and Roll and The Very Best of Rock and Roll box sets. 

I did buy a few individual CDs but again not those of contemporary pop artists.

I must confess that the best instrumental music I have heard in a long time came from these forums.  So I thank Kara-Moon for those ear-candy treats!  Also I thank them for exposing me to different music genres.  This is the place to be 09!

The older I get the better I was!
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:48:35 AM »

Yeah, I knew this would be a controversial topic. I get the feeling some of you think contemporary music isn't any good and should be avoided at all costs. I'd just like you to take into account that most of the cd's apart from maybe Coldplay and Duffy that I've listed are very far from mainstream and hardly known by the general public. To only go by Kara-Moon and KVR seems abit limiting to me as well.
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:18:39 AM »

I’m assuming that the lists you wanted were the CDs that I actually purchased during 2008.  That’s what I posted.

What I liked but didn’t purchase in 2008 were John Mayer (Say), Metro Station (Oxygen), Madonna (4 minutes & Give it 2 me), Tracy Chapman and many more.  So as you can see I’m not really anti–contemporary, I just have limited funds right now, ie, retirement has it’s pitfalls as well as it’s advantages  Smiley

I do agree with you that narrowing your listening choices to any one or two sites and/or music genres is not the way to go.

The older I get the better I was!
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:37:23 AM »

Hi, Mario. Well I can understand that if you have limited funds that buying cd's isn't one of your priorities.
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »

Martin, I didn't mean to imply that I avoid contemporary music. I just find that, over recent years, much of what is mainstream is really not to my liking. I have actually developed a bit of a hatred for modern radio shows (at least here in the UK) as they are mainly populated by arrogant, loud-mouthed and empty-headed presenters and play more adverts than music!
Having spent many years now on an extremely low income I can't justify buying CD's. A number of years ago my local library set up a record/CD collection where you could borrow a couple of titles for two weeks. This was absolutely wonderful at first and I used this facility to discover all sorts of artists who would have remained unknown to me otherwise. However, like most good things, they eventually started to charge fees for this service so I have had to give that up.
I am coming up to 60 this year and have been actively enjoying all types of music from a very early age, as far back as I can remember. I got my first guitar at age 13 and went through most styles in the learning process from pop, blues, folk, rock and a little jazz. I have always kept an open mind about music in general.
The only time I actually *buy* any music now is when I pick up (second-hand) old LP's for my daughters vinyl collection  Roll Eyes
Thanks for starting this interesting thread. I'm curious to see how it develops.
 Wink
James

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »

Martin, I didn't mean to imply that I avoid contemporary music. I just find that, over recent years, much of what is mainstream is really not to my liking. I have actually developed a bit of a hatred for modern radio shows (at least here in the UK) as they are mainly populated by arrogant, loud-mouthed and empty-headed presenters and play more adverts than music!
Having spent many years now on an extremely low income I can't justify buying CD's. A number of years ago my local library set up a record/CD collection where you could borrow a couple of titles for two weeks. This was absolutely wonderful at first and I used this facility to discover all sorts of artists who would have remained unknown to me otherwise. However, like most good things, they eventually started to charge fees for this service so I have had to give that up.
I am coming up to 60 this year and have been actively enjoying all types of music from a very early age, as far back as I can remember. I got my first guitar at age 13 and went through most styles in the learning process from pop, blues, folk, rock and a little jazz. I have always kept an open mind about music in general.
The only time I actually *buy* any music now is when I pick up (second-hand) old LP's for my daughters vinyl collection  Roll Eyes
Thanks for starting this interesting thread. I'm curious to see how it develops.
 Wink
James

Thanks for the reply, James. I understand your situation. I only wanted to point out that a band like for instance Elbow isn't what I would call mainstream apart from the fact if you like them or not.

I have to agree with you about the radio shows. I hardly ever listen to the radio. Most of the new music I pick up by watching the Jools Holland Show on the BBC. And also the coverage by the BBC of a festival like Glastonbury. In Holland we also have coverage of festivals like Pinkpop and Lowlands. Apart from that bands like Elbow and Fleet Foxes also have myspace websites where you can listen to a number of their songs.
Here's the one of The Fleet Foxes have a listen to them. I think you will like them.

http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes

Finally there's a Dutch site which covers all the new releases and lets you have short clips of all the songs on an album. I don't know if there is a British or American equivalent. This is the site http://www.platomania.nl

Martin
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 02:32:25 PM »

I don't begin to have the time to listen to commercial music. It is almost inconceivable to me.

I am either listening to a mix that I am trying to figure out how to sweeten up, or writing a song, or trying to catch up on listening to my friends songs right here. These last three years I have spent tons more time trying to learn how to get my mixes right than I have even spent playing guitar, and I play guitar every day.

The last commercial CDs I bought were Neck and Neck..and a collectors edition of Les Paul and Chet Atkins, (that I sent to Oren).

..lol..How do you manage it?   Grin

Weirdest thought I have had so far this year:

I just realized this morning that I have been playing the guitar since 40 years ago..and I'm just beginning to get the hang of it.

Cool

Wyatt

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »

I just realized this morning that I have been playing the guitar since 40 years ago..and I'm just beginning to get the hang of it.

Crap....if it takes that long, I'm never gonna make it Cheesy

About CD's.  I've only bought friend's CD's in the last couple of years.  I do try to stay current, however.  Especially since I added a new TV channel to the lineup called Palladia. Do any of you get that??  Nothing but videos and concert footage....highly recommended.

Back on topic. I've been buying singles mostly....music I want to learn, and some I just don't have in my collection. For example, last night I bought Brown Eyed Girl (Van Morrison), You Keep Me Hanging On (Vanilla Fudge), Green Eyed Lady (Sugarloaf).  And some how, over the years, I had never heard Those Shoes by the Eagles. It slipped by me some how.

Let me add a little to the controversy.  I actually prefer contemporary C&W to most other contemporary genres. Some of the music is pretty darn good....especially guitar playing singers like Brad Paisley and Keith Urban. Rascal Flats has some well done tunes. And I actually quite like Taylor Swift. 

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »

Thanks for the input Fred and Wyatt.

Didn't know you were a country hick, Fred Grin
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »

The only cd I had bought this past year,was "The Moog Cookbook"...and that's only because it's a collector's item.
I can't afford all the cd's I would want,so here & there,I've been purchasing internet music downloads-that's it.
I'm vastly far away from mainstream music for the most part & I despise the radio,but I do like Coldplay though. Cool

The K-M forum is a wonderful alternative to the radio & I've never looked back since! Cheesy
I pretty much stick to the music of the past,as far as mainstream goes and apart from this,I sometimes check out MySpace artists, & music that is local to my area & surrounding areas.

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »

In general, I find I end up sounding like the people I'm listening to, so being selective is important.

2008 was mostly a Chris Rea year - http://chrisrea.mobi/?bio

A "new to me" pop-music band is Oasis - http://www.oasisinet.com/

However, the Kara-Moon forum and Artist pages are my principal sources of enjoyment and inspiration at this time.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:52:44 AM by Oren » Logged

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »

Didn't know you were a country hick, Fred Grin

Hah!  "I'm a little bit country"...."I'm a little bit rock n roll" (Donnie & Marie)  Cheesy

I've never been a big fan of Country. But, outside of Rap, I like most anything done well. I just can't tell when Rap is done well and when its not Roll Eyes

My interest in Country is relatively weak and recent. However, there are a few things contemporary country has going for it.... a story (always), great mixes, and what seems like an endless supply of outstanding musicians. Most of these guys can really play!!!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: