Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:14:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2008 music round up  (Read 15283 times)
NeoN

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »

Well, in 2008 I bought some nice Albums. I'm more into Rock/Hard Rock/Punk etc Stuff.. Cool

Here's my list..

The Offspring - Rise and fall, rage and grace
The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre
The Offspring - Splinter
http://www.offspring.com
http://www.theoffspringdotcom.com/

Oasis - Don't believe the truth
www.oasisinet.com

Scorpions - Virgin Killer
www.the-scorpions.com

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Linkin Park - Meteora
www.linkinpark.com
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 07:09:53 PM by NeoN » Logged
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 06:20:47 PM »

...I've never been a big fan of Country. But, outside of Rap, I like most anything done well. I just can't tell when Rap is done well and when its not...
 contemporary country has....a story (always), great mixes, and what seems like an endless supply of outstanding musicians. Most of these guys can really play...

Fred,
In my experience, country music has the sharpest players, and most competent engineers/producers, of any style of contemporary North American music. Partly because a very large portion of their audience are amateur musicians, and partly because the competition is so intense. Although not a fan of country music specifically, I love their productions, and their musicians.
And Kris Kristofferson... Grin   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleF5tJuQ64

"Spoken word" vocals have long been an interest of mine, and like it or not, rap is a form of spoken word performance. "Walk This Way" is an example of spoken word - one version by Aerosmith before rap came along, and now a version by Run DMC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKaV911uJA -  rap style.
In my opinion, two excellent versions of a spoken word composition. So yes, I think there is some Embarrassed good rap music.

NeoN,
Radical selection, dude Grin. Thanks for the links!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:22:56 PM by Oren » Logged

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »

Thanks for the links Oren and Neon. That's what this thread was intended for anyway. To get to know everyone's taste in music.

@Oren I think I saw The Happy Mondays playing at Glastonbury as well. Pretty obnoxious band.

@Fred. Yes those country guitarplayers are usually pretty good. Or should I say guitarpickers. I used to like that guy that played with Elvis. Can't remember his name right now  Burton or something.
NeoN

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 09:03:32 AM »

NeoN,
Radical selection, dude Grin. Thanks for the links!

Thanks Oren Smiley
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 12:08:02 AM »

"Spoken word" vocals have long been an interest of mine, and like it or not, rap is a form of spoken word performance. "Walk This Way" is an example of spoken word - one version by Aerosmith before rap came along, and now a version by Run DMC -

Excellent points Oren!  I am familiar with "Walk This Way". The video was very cool. Although I do think the "remake" may have been actually more popular than the original!!

The "rap" I can't get behind is the "packaged" rap; the palm down side to side hand motions, the crotch grabbing, and the pants-below-the-rump fashion statement Roll Eyes  I do appreciate (as most of us here can appreciate I think!) the rebelious nature of rap, although, at times, it crosses over my personal taste line. What worries me is the  packaged rap money machines and the relative teenage popularity of some one like Lil' Wayne...the current Rap Artist (and newest millionaire) of the Year. Not really my vote for music appreciation role modeling. But hey, its all a personal taste thing anyway, right?  Wink

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 12:11:39 AM »

But hey, its all a personal taste thing anyway, right?  Wink

Yep..and what sucks, sucks!

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »

... the palm down side to side hand motions, the crotch grabbing, and the pants-below-the-rump fashion statement...

Gee Fred, have you seen me on my way to the bathroom...?

To my way of thinking, any art form that promotes violence, intolerance, and thoughtlessness is best avoided. Rap has more than its share of these ingredients, as well as a strong focus on drugs, gender exploitation, and big money. Just stupid.

So, I like to go with "spoken word" to keep that stink off some very legitimate artists. Afro
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 04:31:12 AM by Oren » Logged

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 09:35:48 AM »

But hey, its all a personal taste thing anyway, right?  Wink

Yep..and what sucks, sucks!

Cool

Wyatt

Way to go, dude  Grin Grin
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »

So, I like to go with "spoken word" to keep that stink off some very legitimate artists. Afro

Got it. Couldn't agree more. And, I'd like to give a shout out to my man Wyatt, who indeed has a way with the "written word".  Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »

Hmmm. Interesting topic.

Like a lot of guys, I've only bought one CD in 2008. That was a Dr Hook Compilation on Amazon. Although I knew and liked most of the tracks I only really got it for 'Storms Never Last' a really sweet song I'd been after for ages.

I used to collect quite a few 45s, from S/H shops etc. and discovered quite a lot of interesting stuff that way (along with a lot of rubbish too), but now I trawl the legal websites, as well as here and KVR.

I've just done a quick count of my 'others' folder. There are 172 good original songs and instrumentals in there.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: