Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 09:08:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kurzweil PC361  (Read 14944 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: January 10, 2009, 02:57:29 AM »

Decided to give the Kurzweil website a visit & I discovered that they're already promoting their 61-key version of the PC3 series! Cool

Contrary to what I was told from one of the staff in the R/D department,the PC361 will in fact,have semi-weighted keys-which is sooo good to know! wOO
The specifications of the PC3 61,are identical to the PC3-61's bigger brothers-which will make the PC3-61 one the of the most value-priced workstations out there(next to the Korg M50)!
The release of the PC361 is slated for Spring of this year,with a manufacturerer's suggested price of $2395
It's a bit difficult to estimate what the street price will be,in light of the fact that the PC3 76-key is now $1999
My rough estimate for the street price of the PC361 would be in the neighborhood of $1699
The release of the previous two models of the PC3 had gone off to a rough start,but R/D has assured me that all of the tech issues have since been erradicated-so with that said,I am confident that the upcoming PC361 will be an especially exciting prospect...one of which that may very well sway me away from taking the intrepid leap into the soft-synth world. Evil

-Thom

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »

...the upcoming PC361 will be an especially exciting prospect...one of which that may very well sway me away from taking the intrepid leap into the soft-synth world...

You're going to need a bigger music room, Tiger... Cheesy Roll Eyes

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »

Yep,don't I know it! Shocked Grin Actually,all it would really require,is for me to buy a two-tier keyboard stand...but after this purchase-that's it...no more outboard workstations...the next step would be a pc workstation. Cheesy

-Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »

After selling my M3 for the Kronos..; I've found myself in this empty space. The Kronos is yet to become available so perhaps time for something else...

And so I discovered that Kurzweil is selling their PC361 with more than 40% discount. OK, the K version is comming, but get serious: 995 euro for a PC361 !

I didn't resist the offer and bought one last week. The PC 361 arrived today.

First impression: looks like it is build like a rock. Korg could learn something here  Wink

About it's sound: very diverse ! And also, very distinct ! Especialy the orchestra bank. Man, here's a domain where the Kurzweil realy blows away every other synth.

OK, I realize Kurzweil can not be considered as 'the' most modern workstation, but it really deserves it's place amongst the synths of today because it really has a great distinct sounds which is according to me very complementary witrh a Korg, Virus,... or any other modern synth.

So yes, i'm very pleased to have this one!

Next step: create some music.
It's been a year since i've written a song. Kara complained to me that I always worked too hard and that I needed to make more time for doing the things I like.
I'll try... I'll try... !  Lips Sealed

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:16 PM »

Moon,

In as much as I can appreciate your lust for the Kronos(I've desperately wanted one myself),I am nonetheless,surprised that you sold your M3!

Being a Korg owner for over 20 years and also being a recent Kurzweil PC3LE,I must tell you that sequencing on the PC3 is a nightmare,compared to the M3.
Also,the effects routing is frustrating to configure & it is drastically different than the Korg.

As a live instrument,the PC3 is fantastic-as it has very lush & unique sounds and of course,the sonic quality of the effects are nothing short of amazing....but as a recording tool,it leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion & you just may be gravely disappointed that you didn't wait for the Kronos.

I know a lot of keyboard enthusiasts out there think that the Kronos is merely an M3 with some more bells & whistles-but from what I have observed,it's a whole new concept.
Sure,the Kurzweil's VAST sound engine is as diverse as you can get,but it seems as though the Kronos has it's very own methods of diversity as well,sound-wise....but Korg has something more,the most user friendly sequencer out there(just short of a PC's sequencer).

Just some things for you to think about(while you still have the chance to return your PC3,if you decide to go that way).PC3's don't have any resale value(I had my PC3LE in the classifieds for a month with no interested parties & a music store was only offering me $300 for mine).

If I had received a decent offer for my PC3LE,I would have sold it in a split second to buy the Kronos!Honestly,I would have much preferred a Kurzweil software program,rather than a hardware workstation. Sad

If I had any clue that Korg was releasing the Kronos,I would have never even considered buying a Kurzweil,period.

-Thom
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:05:59 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:14:04 PM »

Note, I still plan to get that Kronos. Sure, you can't compare the 2 synths, since the one costs 3 times more than the other... so yes, there is hugue difference between the 2. Still, I believe that the 2 are complementary.

I'll let you know how I feel in about 6 months...  Wink
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:58:31 PM »

Having bought Moon's old M3 I have to say that the M3 is simply a gorgeous synth with an amazing sound engine and great flexibility. I have no doubt though that once you've got that Kronos you'll no longer think of going back to the M3, Moon so just wait a little while longer! Wink

Also known as Marc JXP
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:13:03 AM »

I have no doubt though that once you've got that Kronos you'll no longer think of going back to the M3, Moon so just wait a little while longer! Wink

This was my thinking when I sold my Korg Triton Extreme,for my M3....until I discovered that the Triton had sounds that were exclusive only to that unit,which was fairly heartbreaking.
Korg is not Kurzweil,as Korg does not have libraries of sounds that are carried on over to the next new model.To put a finer point on it-to this day,I still miss some of the sound programs from my old 01/W Pro X.

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »

I did sample some of my favourite sounds and put them into the sample ram of the M3. It's a bit of a hassle having to manually load these samples (admittedly by only loading just one batch file) when I start the unit but it's cool to still have them (although since it's hard to replicate synth settings they do sound a tad different).

Also known as Marc JXP
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »

Note, I still plan to get that Kronos. Sure, you can't compare the 2 synths, since the one costs 3 times more than the other... so yes, there is hugue difference between the 2. Still, I believe that the 2 are complementary.

I'll let you know how I feel in about 6 months...  Wink

Just placed an order for the Kronos 88. Pretty excited...looks like a great synth. My only concern is the piano, and I'm hoping it lives up to it's billing. I've been able to create some very nice piano patches on my S90es, so hoping for something at least that good. We'll see. 

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:03:55 PM »

My only concern is the piano, and I'm hoping it lives up to it's billing. I've been able to create some very nice piano patches on my S90es, so hoping for something at least that good. We'll see. 

Why would you be concerned about the Kronos's piano sounds??The Kronos pianos have more sample data than any other workstation keyboard on the market.
I think you'll have to buy an actual grand piano,to get better sound quality than this. Grin

-Thom

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:50:24 PM »

You never know for sure until you hear/play it. I have several plugins that take up a lot of room, like Ivory for example.  Some are better than others, especially when you factor in personal taste. That said, I hope your right! Also, I'm pretty much a worrier Cheesy

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:45:07 PM »

Well...your right,it is a matter of personal preference for some-but as far as sample quality goes and the method in which it was recorded,I don't think you have anything to worry about in that area.
That being said,it requires that you like the piano models from which the samples were made from and if by chance you don't like the onboard samples,then I'm sure you could buy 3rd party samples to suit your taste...in the future. Smiley

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:03:17 AM »

As far as I understand they did sample at least two models, and using the synth parameters they constructed several subtypes from these, so you should be able to find something that suits you. Anyway, the 88 key Kronos should be quite a beast. Congrats on getting it and let us know how you like it!

Also known as Marc JXP
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »

I'll report once I have a little time with it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: