Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heading towards a PC crash?  (Read 9267 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »

About a week ago,I recieved a warning message from my Reason software that I had reached my CPU usage limit.
I had the CPU setting at 80%....since then,I have increased the CPU usage setting to 95%.I've only had the software for about 2 months & it appears that I may already be in danger of crashing my computer....how is this possible?
In light of my situation,I might as well forget about the idea of buying Pro Tools,because clearly,my PC won't be able to handle it. Huh Undecided
I don't think I will be using my Reason software for a while...at least not until I figure out the most suitable course of action to take.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Thom

Alienz

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 05:27:16 PM »

Could be several things, what kind of CPU do you have?
My old pc also maxxed out the cpu often, it never crashed, I just got stutters in the sound etc.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:12:22 PM by Alienz » Logged
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:51:38 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Smiley

I have a dual core processor & 3GB's of RAM.

-Thom

Alienz

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »

Hmm I guess its not the specs of your pc then, so might be something else. More questions then! Smiley

-this didnt happen before last week? what have you changed since then maybe? Are you using more tracks/channels and fx then before? Reverbs and delays can eat a lot of cpu.
-Are you running any other programs at the same time?
-It could of course (fingers crossed) be a hardware problem, do any other programs use more cpu than normal?
if do ctrl alt delete-->task manager--->tab 'processes' you can see hou much each application is using.
Has your pc become slower in any way over the last weeks?

I bet some real experts here on the forum can think of lots more questions and maybe even answers?  Smiley
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »

Number 1 suspect - antivirus software Sad

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »

with dual core, each core usually have slower processors then then their predessor single core CPU's. Have to be able to use both cores. Some hosts do not have multi-processor support. So, first thing to check is if Reason has multi-processor support. If so, make sure its set to on. My guess its somewhere in the global menu.

You can do other stuff as well to reduce CPU load...turning off the Internet, turn off running back ground services you don't need, if your network is disabled, you can turn off your anti-virus software. Some folks set CPU scheduling from program to backround services with some success. Others maintain that adjustment is of no help. It helped significantly on my laptop but seemed to make no difference on my tower.

You can google PC tweaks for audio performance and find many other suggestions. I've found that the more seemingly obscure tweaks don't seem to help much.

One ultimate option would be to upgrade your processor.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »

Thanks for all of the input guys...I'll make use of all of your trouble-shooting tips,apply them & see what develops. Cool

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:05:45 AM »

Thom,

Various bits of software will push either of my two dual-core computers into the 95% range, with no effect on software performance.
 I actually like to see the programs pushing my CPU to maximum use - otherwise, what's the sense of having all that processing speed and not using it Huh?

If an article of software is designed thoughtfully (and it sounds like Reason is), it will make the most efficient use of your computer's processing power, rather than farting along at a mere fraction of your CPU's potential speed. Am I making any sense, mi amigo?

...my processors run at 2.67gigahertz (Pentium) with 2gigs of RAM, and 3gigahertz (Athlon) with 4 gigs of RAM...

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »

AFAIK reason doesn't support multi-cores, it has been promissed for the next version.

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Alienz

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 02:32:31 PM »

AFAIK reason doesn't support multi-cores, it has been promissed for the next version.

k

That would explain a lot, I didnt expect Reason not supporting multicores (yet)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 11:00:01 PM »

Ummm....AFAIK?Could you translate that to english please? Huh Grin

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 11:10:33 PM »

As
Far
As
I
Know

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 11:16:25 PM »

Ahhh...so that's it! ;DThanks Will.

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: