Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:05:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocean Coast - part 1  (Read 7960 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: March 21, 2007, 06:44:20 PM »

I'm collaborating with a friend of mine on a project with Oceans as a general theme. We work together as 87pm.music. Enjoy, let me know what you think! Smiley

Ocean Coast - part one

Also known as Marc JXP
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »

Interesting, a lot in the style of JM Jarre in his better times.
A lot is happening in this song and all very well balanced.
Now to be honnest I lost interest around 4:30. Since I'm the prototype of the average listener  Roll Eyes Grin I would advice to make it shorter or to make a part 1 and part 2 out of it  Huh

Still, sound like a very interesting project you guys have.

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 08:44:41 PM »

This is a nice one, Marc
I like the sounds you choose, and the arrangements are ok, in this genre I appreciate the evolving soundscapes. I mean: you build up a texture and using variations and breaks you keep it going on and on.
Well done

Cheers
elv

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:48:53 PM »

I say this as a massive JMJ fan.
That this sound like a really good song in JMJ style.
emdot_ambient

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 01:06:07 AM »

I like everything in it and I like the way it's layered, like the changes in compositional density, shifting sound world . . . the only I don't like is that the whole song feels like it's leading up to something that never happens. What's missing is one of two things:

1) Some really nice catchy melodies--something for the listener to focus on while the shifting background tracks propel you along. I can't complain about anything in the mix, sounds or parts, but there's no single thing to keep me focused, so my mind shifts around all the background parts, which are all nice, but ultimately not nourishing.

2) A much more prominent and engaging rhythm track. Without solid, catchy melodies, the drums for the most part are very far in the background. Again, I kept waiting for everything to "kick in" but it doesn't happen. Melody can be dispensed with if there is a really, really good, strong rhythm track. But to keep things going for 5+ minutes, the rhythm track would have to be very infectious and varied.

Of course you could opt for a little of both. My preference would be to do both, but not necessarily at the same time. One section might really kick in with a great drum track, and then have melody take over. But honestly, two or three melodic voices doing a call and response would be the easiest thing to do, because you've got everything else the song needs already.

It's really very good what you've got here. Thanks for sharing!
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »

Thanks to all of you for your detailed feedback, also on behalf of my friend Percy who co-wrote the song. I'll talk about your comments more soon, haven't got much time now but it's nice to hear that you all like it! Smiley

Also known as Marc JXP
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 08:54:57 PM »

A bit about the background of the project: the project is ultimately going to consist of 7-8 songs which do vary from atmospheric to the more up-tempo, Jarre-ish style (thanks for the Jarre references, I'm a big fan of him so it's much appreciated). Generally we do start the tracks without an idea of how it'll turn out, except that we do tend to use some themes and sounds throughout all the songs. Still, in spite of having no set plan we do tend to sculpt the 'finished' song until it fits a certain place and this one's the opener. I do agree about the fact that it doesn't contain strong melodies or prominent rhythms and I have been wondering about whether the track needs it. I'll definetely talk with Percy about this before all tracks get considered 'done' Smiley. I think I'll upload the second part soon, too, it's a bit more up-tempo. Once more: thanks for all the feedback!

Also known as Marc JXP
one

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 04:04:24 PM »

Hi Marc

This track is COOL. Needs nothing more IMO!

I really dig it!

1 Smiley

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 04:09:20 PM »

Thanks you! If you like it, be sure to also give part two a listen (the other Ocean Coast thread on this forum).

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: