Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:12:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Done in one hour... (new version)  (Read 23382 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« on: March 24, 2007, 10:20:34 PM »

This is a track I just made when SHUSH from KvR did a small contest challenging people to do a track in one hour... Turns out only he and I submitted a track. Angry

Still, I'm posting it here for you all to have a listen, hope you like it! Please forgive any errors in the mix, after all one hour is shorter than I initially thought and this turned out to be quite a stressful hour! Grin

Time Flies

The theme for the contest (posted a few minutes before the hour started to avoid cheating) was to create a track of any style in 195 BPM.

-------------

*** NEW VERSION***
I've uploaded a new version of this track as an attachment to this post. This one features Offthewall on flute, let us know what you think of it!

* One Hour Song - Marc JX8P feat Offthewall.mp3 (2024.25 KB - downloaded 319 times.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 07:37:40 PM by Marc JX8P » Logged

Also known as Marc JXP
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 10:51:26 PM »

Great stuff, Mark.

Being a whistle player at heart, I really like the 'blown bottle' sound of the major theme.  I felt like playing along to this one! The whole thing developed in quite an exciting way. Really well done in a short space of time.
I was interested in this wee contest myself, but the strict time deadline didn't fit in with things this month....maybe I'll dip in to this in the future!
 Wink

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 11:13:14 PM »

Thanks! Glad you like it. Actually, the solo was a last minute (nearly literally...) thing as I had the rest of the mix finished and felt like it really needed something extra to avoid the 'backing track' sound... Cheesy It was in and out for a moment as I didn't like the first version I did and I changed instruments to what you hear now. To be honest, there are still some moments that I don't like as much but it was good enough in my view and I really had to render to be done in time! Grin

Considering what you said, would you perhaps be interested in doing a whistle or flute solo over this track or an extended version of it?

Also known as Marc JXP
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »

Quote from: Marc JX8P
Considering what you said, would you perhaps be interested in doing a whistle or flute solo over this track or an extended version of it?

That sounds very tempting.  I'll have another listen, tomorrow, and work out what key it's in.  As you probably know, the penny-whistle is quite restricted as to what keys can be played.  If it is D, G, C, F, Bb....I should be able to sort something......but that's another day. I'll get back to you.
Thanks,
James.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »

Another good one
The well known Em - Bm transition Smiley

You really nailed those synthpatches, I could have sworn it was JMJ
Great work !

I never could do that in 1 hour  Shocked

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elv

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »

Great track,and really great considering it was done in one hour.
Love the phase on the strings.Are you the missing son og JMJ  Grin
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 02:45:32 PM »

Thanks! Glad you liked it so much! Smiley Cool to hear you think I sound so much like dad - err... Jean Michel Jarre! Wink

I listened to a lot of JMJ when growing up and his were about the first tracks I started to emulate. I think this resulted in his early sound becoming my default music style... I have a particular weak spot for those arpeggios and those string synth pads. Actually, I'm eagerly awaiting the VSM from GMedia which promises to emulate lots of  old string machinesm including Jarre's eminent string sound through a phaser! Cool

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 03:35:55 PM »

Forgive me for saying this, but JMJ is letting me down lately. A long time ago (o my god, yes, 20 years ago Undecided) I started buying all the LP's from JMJ, this together with other albums from Vangelis. I found it a pitty that this kind of music isn't made nomore. JMJ is stil making music, but I've quit being a fan.

But, hearing this kind of music is great: it does reminds me on the JMJ songs.  Smiley You hear the JMJ influence but also your own style, which ofcourse is great. I'll look forward to a longer version and more songs like this. And I am sure that a combination with James will give an interesting combination!

Moon
NeoN

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 04:16:28 PM »

Love the Melody and I can say that it is a very nice Song,
considering that it was made in just 1 Hour!
Liked those synths too... Wink
By the way I can't wait to hear it with some nice Flute or Whistles by offthewall!
Good Job// Smiley
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 04:24:19 PM by NeoN » Logged
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 05:23:04 PM »

Forgive me for saying this, but JMJ is letting me down lately. A long time ago (o my god, yes, 20 years ago Undecided) I started buying all the LP's from JMJ, this together with other albums from Vangelis. I found it a pitty that this kind of music isn't made nomore. JMJ is stil making music, but I've quit being a fan.
Moon

He definetely has changed his music style. I have to agree that I miss his original style, but new albums like Chronologie and Equinoxe 7-13 still sound great and have a lot of energy in my opinion. He has a new album out though, called Teo and Tea which is really different (more techno/trance) and might be the first JMJ album ever that doesn't interest me. I still consider myself a fan though.

Also known as Marc JXP
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 05:40:54 PM »

Yes I saw the trailer of  Teo and Tea on youtube....
A complete disaster in my opinion, I know kids on kvr that make better music then that
I'm realy disappointed

But now we have our proper JMJ Jr here  Grin

Time to make a CD boy  Shocked Cool

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 05:45:28 PM »

@Marc JX8P

Quote from: offthewall
I should be able to sort something......but that's another day. I'll get back to you.

I had another listen and should be able to do something......eventually.....I'm a bit busy for a few days.
Do you want me to play along with your tune and submit, or send you an individual file for you to remix?
 Roll Eyes

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 05:50:27 PM »

But now we have our proper JMJ Jr here  Grin

Time to make a CD boy  Shocked Cool

Yeah ! I fully agree !!!  Wink

Moon
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »

Hi Marc
This track sounds as a finished one
It's ok. Of course there aren't many lead lines and variations.
But everything in here is ok. It was a very productive hour  Grin

Cheers
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 09:04:49 PM »

@Marc JX8P

Quote from: offthewall
I should be able to sort something......but that's another day. I'll get back to you.

I had another listen and should be able to do something......eventually.....I'm a bit busy for a few days.
Do you want me to play along with your tune and submit, or send you an individual file for you to remix?
 Roll Eyes

Brilliant! I'd like to do the mixing so if you could send me a file of just your play then that'd be perfect. WAV, MP3 or AIFF would be great. And don't worry about time, I won't have much time the coming two weeks either so just take your time and let me know when you're done. If you have something, you can mail it to marc.jx8p@gmail.com. Looking forward to it!

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: