Kara-Moon Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:33:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Somebody to love  (Read 12676 times)
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« on: April 03, 2007, 08:33:37 PM »

Real poppy sixties tune.

Anyway, I tried to get some ideas into the song that would reflect that era. One of the songs I was thinking of while doing this one was "Flowers in the rain" by The Move. Though I actually haven't heard that song in ages. Have to dig it up somewhere.

The lyrics are about you know who  Grin

http://www.martin-e-music.nl/mp3/somebodytolove.mp3

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »

Hi,
I don't get much time to listen in a constructive way, but I just had a little session with some of these fine tracks over here.
This song is really 'of the time'.  I was there and remember it well. Beautifully constructed and recorded, truly brings out the sound of the sixties.  My only small criticism would be the 'brass section' which, to my ear, sounds a tad too modern.
 Wink
Thanks for sharing.
James

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:06:33 PM »

Real poppy sixties tune.

Sure is, Martin!

Wonderful recreation of the sixties sound...especially the ba ba bahs in the chorus...too Cool.

The vocals are excellent as usuall. I wonder if you tire of hearing that? Maybe its starting to sound rather banal.  Ok then...your vocals are "spot on"  Grin

A fantastic listen!

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:50:36 AM »

Thanks James and Fred. Glad you like it.

@ Off the wall  Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with the brass sound either. But for the time being I'll leave it. I'll have a look at it later on with a fresh pair of ears.

@ Fred. Well you may not think so but now and then I get people tell me my vocals are boring.  Roll Eyes  I don't know what to make of that.Actually it was one of my neighbours. And my wife still thinks I can't sing  Undecided  So you see Fred I still need some support  Grin  Grin
Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:45:49 PM »

And my wife still thinks I can't sing  Undecided 

Thats funny! Just have to ignore that the best you can Wink  My wife compares my piano playing to the ice cream truck Roll Eyes  Do they have those in the Netherlands?...strange van-like vehicles, driven by shady-looking characters, that frequent the neighborhood and play short obnoxious fairly tale-like melodies over and over, louder than their cheap speakers can handle, so all the parents can buy overpriced icecream for over excited children scurrying about and yelling "the ice cream truck" "the ice cream truck is coming". 

blipp
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:52 PM »

great band, the move. They were from my area of england, birmingham.  This does have a 60's vibe to it for sure. There are occasions where it reminds me of the Beatles for some reason, the groove i think. Great psychadelic guitar solos in there, loved that. Grin   You are a great song writer and you really know how to arrange a song and this is no exception. Great stuff.  Grin
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »

Thanks a lot, Blipp for the kind words. "Getting Better" by The Beatles is probably one of the songs that may come to mind as well.
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:58:56 PM »

Thats funny! Just have to ignore that the best you can Wink  My wife compares my piano playing to the ice cream truck Roll Eyes  Do they have those in the Netherlands?...strange van-like vehicles, driven by shady-looking characters, that frequent the neighborhood and play short obnoxious fairly tale-like melodies over and over, louder than their cheap speakers can handle, so all the parents can buy overpriced icecream for over excited children scurrying about and yelling "the ice cream truck" "the ice cream truck is coming". 

Nope, no ice cream here, Fred. We have to make do with the fish truck on saturday afternoon. But that may be no surprise to you  Grin Grin
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »

Hi Martin
Great song-structure and arrangements, I agree the 60's vibe is strong and I like it !  Cheesy
I like the vocals, a real footprint on this track,  C Cool Cool L guitar solo

Cheers
birdbrain

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »

before even reading the other posts, i need to tell you.  Wow!  blown away, by your production, and just the beauty of it.  Ok, now ill go see what the others say.  not that they matter.  kidding.  Love you all.

"Music can change the world. "
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

http://www.myspace.com/nicholasueparrott
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 07:14:17 AM »

Wow, guys. Thanks for the comments Laguna and Birdbrain.  Much appreciated.
one

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 07:41:05 PM »

Hi Martin

Nice production as usual. I like how you keep all your layers under control. Well done!

1 Smiley

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 01:16:08 PM »

Thanks, One.
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 01:43:37 PM »

A real 60's hit
No comment on the production, you know that it is good  Grin

PS : It reminds me more of the Monkeys then of the Beatles  Wink

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Van Greco

note to self: return to sender

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 02:16:15 PM »

First off, you write great little pop songs, but you know that already.

I agree with Kara that this song sounds a bit more Monkees than Beatles. I'm not familiar with The Move though so i am unable to make that comparison. The buh ba ba's in the chorus are especially Monkees-like to me. Overall, the production is great as is most of what i've heard from you. I do wish i could hear the little lead guitar part more, but I can see how that may have been a stylistic choice for it to be where it is in the mix. Also, the horns seem just slightly too present to me. Maybe they could sit back just a touch, but I'm pretty iffy about horns most of the time anyway so you may want to take that into account.

I enjoyed listening Martin. It's very well put together. Nice classic pop sound. Thanks for sharing it  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: