Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:13:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer Namm 2009  (Read 4400 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: July 17, 2009, 11:36:46 PM »

There was not too much presented at Namm that peaked my interest,as Roland only showcased what they had already released,but I did find some of the new Akai products interesting.

Akai has added a 61 key version of their MPK series midi controllers and I was surprised to learn that Akai has entered the studio monitor arena with new RPM8 studio monitors.

The RPM8's(according to Akai),were specifically designed for their MPC workstations and they also claim that they've focused their sound designs for the Hip Hop musician....so needless to say,the low end has been emphasized and in by my intuition in terms of marketing,most likely Akai has overemphasized the bass,to appeal to the bass-happy ghetto music crowd. Roll Eyes
I like an ample amount of bass just as much as the next gear head,but true studio monitors are synonymous with a flat,balanced response,rather than entertaining the typical DJ or home studio psycho bass freak.
On the other hand though,these monitors may very well be ideally suited for large rooms that require more bass to round out the proper mix.
In any event,the RPM8's have my attention and I am curious to audition them for myself and as you might expect from Akai,they're jet black with blood red trim...so they're evil looking enough to strike fear in the hearts of the common man-and wouldn't you know it...they're being released in October,just in time for Halloween. Evil
According to SoundOnSound magazine,the RPM8's are going for $499 a piece and if this price tag holds true,then I am skeptical of their particular level of quality,as there are many good choices out there in the $1,000 range.
I am actually a fan of Akai products,but they tend to be a bit overpriced.

http://www.sweetwater.com/publications/reports/?action=day&day=1&sid=42
-Thom
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 02:52:58 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:38:59 AM »

Thom,

That Akai stuff looks like the real deal...

Akai was originally introduced to me as a manufacturer of mid-quality home stereo components, and I can't quite erase that impression when I hear about their pro-audio equipment.
 Just a personal bias... I'll get over it... Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: