Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Record revisited  (Read 4839 times)
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: July 22, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »

As has been mentioned here before, Record is Propellerhead's new digital audio recording program. Since Reason does not record audio, Reason users have had to resort to various other audio recording software. Now with Record, you can record audio and mix in a seamless environment with Reason capabilities. Pretty great.

I was notified this morning that the my Non Disclosure Agreement period is over, [Record went into  open beta yesterday, with a release date of September 9]... so now I am free to discuss this.

As many of you know, I detest learning software..hehe..even wrote a song about it..but I have found Record to be worth the effort. It has done a perfect job for me, of exactly what I asked it to do. Since my work flow is a bit different than most peoples', I had better explain a little.

I have loved using Reason for its extreme midi capabilities, and I have often started a song with some drums and two or three combinator tracks, played on my keyboard. Then I would cheerfully solo each track and export as audio, load the audio tracks into a new multitrack session in Audition, record some guitar tracks..maybe some harp and congas, and proceed with mixing and mastering in that familiar environment.

The only real complaint I had was that once I began working with the audio mix, it was inconvenient to go back and try to add a Reason track, as ReWire technology is so latency-heavy that it was just not a practical alternative in Audition.

To Test Record's usefullness for my purposes, I first wrote a song using my usual procedures, and then imported 3 tracks into Record to add midi. It worked perfectly. Next I wrote an entire song from scratch in Record and was able to implement Reason in the mix with absolute perfection.

In the process, I discovered, that for me, Record is not going to take the place of Audition.

Audition's editing features are enormous and there is really no comparison. To be fair, I am not yet very expert with all of Record's features, and I do have several thousand hours of editing with Audition, in addition to producing my songs with it for the last four years.

I did notice however, that Record does not have any noise reduction, time stretch, pitch correction, VST support, or reverse capabilities. The feature request list on the beta site was 80 pages long, though, and I have no doubt that Record will become more robust in the very near future.

As for Vst support, that will be a deal-killer for a lot of people. For me, using Adobe Audition 3, most VSTs don't work very well anyway, so it is no real loss to me. It would be for a lot of people though.

Also, if you have Reason, you have 25 devices that emulate audio hardware and can be wired up in an infinite number of ways, ( I can't begin to describe the possibilities here), so you don't miss VSTs much. There have been a lot of requests for VST support, so I expect to see it on the horizon very soon..perhaps as soon as in the next iteration.

Record does have extremely easy looping capability, and a seriously powerful midi sequencer and editor. Very easy to see whats going on with this interface, and you have various display choices a keystroke away. The main mixer and insert strips are easily accessed and it is very easy to navigate. Even for me.

If you own and use Reason, Record is a slam-dunk..definitely a no-brainer..go get it..you have to have it..even if like me, you only use it as a utility. Having the power of Reason at your fingertips in your audio working environment is simply awesome.

As a stand alone DAW, it has some growing to do, but this one is still in its infancy and definitely worth watching.

Cool

Wyatt

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

Thankyou, Oklahoma! Grin

This "Propeller Head" crew has a cool attitude, and they make functional software.
The emphasis is on useful tools, not trinkets. Schweet...  Afro

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »

Yeah.....Reason Record is so very cool for Reason 4 users & I had done some hard thinking,as to whether or not I wanted to try out the Beta version for myself.
Eventually though,I had to come to terms with how passionately I hate computers in general and that I wanted to set limits on how much I utilize a PC...because being in a constant state of worry about processing power & memory and eventually having to spend a fortune on custom PC upgrades,just takes most of the flavor out of software recording.
There are only two reasons for why I have decided not to sell my Reason & midi controller....firstly,Reason 4 will outlast all of my other workstations,so even if all of my hardware dies eventually,I will still be able to generate music.
Secondly,the quality of some of the guitar samples cannot be had anywhere else.

Ultimately,I wish that Propellerhead would put their Reason 4 into a hardware synth keyboard-so that I don't even need to be bothered with using a PC for recording,but as it is now,Reason has served me pretty well,just as a way of supplementing my hardware recordings.

-Thom

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »

Thank you very much Wyatt for this reviews.
Unbiased user reviews are the best there are  Cool

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »

Thank you very much Wyatt for this reviews.
Unbiased user reviews are the best there are  Cool

k

You bet!

I've a mind to review Adobe Audition one of these days..

..folks might find it interesting.

Happy camping,

Cool

Wyatt

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: