Kara-Moon Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: All Of My Sunrises - Revisited  (Read 14724 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: September 06, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »

Ever since James and I Collaborated to produce this song, I've been trying to sing it myself. Now that's about 2 years of trying I think Sad

I guess I've now reached the point where it really won't get any better. My voice seems to steadfastly refuse to improve no matter how much I try to practice (indeed I'm not at all sure it isn't getting worse).

Anyway here is my best effort.

* All_Of_My_Sunrises.ogg (3856.18 KB - downloaded 278 times.)

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:55:46 PM »

...Yes!

Although the song - and performance - stand on their own, a thorough processing of the vocal would be an worthwhile exercise.

Any chance of posting the naked vocal as a high resolution Ogg Vorbis file, Will?
 I'd like to have a go at it, and there are several folks hereabouts who do wonders with plug-in effects. We could compare recipes... Cool

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »

...Yes!

Although the song - and performance - stand on their own, a thorough processing of the vocal would be an worthwhile exercise.

Any chance of posting the naked vocal as a high resolution Ogg Vorbis file, Will?
 I'd like to have a go at it, and there are several folks hereabouts who do wonders with plug-in effects. We could compare recipes... Cool

+1 

I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 12:05:14 AM »

Will,

I'm very pleased to hear you finally sing in this tune and your voice is very befitting to your song-bravo Sir!

All you need now is to raise the volume a bit and a dash of reverb and this will be a 5 star production. Cool
Now I'm just waiting for Oren to do his thing......

-Thom

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »

Thanks enormously everyone for your encouragement.

I would be very interested to hear what magic Oren can apply, so what I have done is to put a zipped copy of the audacity project on my website. This has all the parts separated out, and the vocal clean with only noise cancellation having been applied.

It is at:
http://www.musically.me.uk/Sunrises.zip
and is about 150MB. I will not be able to leave it there for too long though!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:35:16 PM »

Will,
You've made a super job of this ..... at last  Roll Eyes

I don't know what sort of plug-ins you can use with your rig, but you could take a look at this one :
http://www.terrywest.110mb.com/voceqpro.html

It is great at bringing out the best parts of vocals.

Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »

Thanks very much James. I'm especially appreciative of your aproval on this one

I had a look at that plug-in link, but it's probably doubtful I'd be able to use it. I know VSTs can often be piped through Wine, but it's a lot of work, and many don't work proplery (or at all).

The website was incredibly slow, so I'll have another look later to see if i can get any hints.

- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:54 PM »

I would be very interested to hear what magic Oren can apply, so what I have done is to put a zipped copy of the audacity project on my website. This has all the parts separated out, and the vocal clean with only noise cancellation having been applied.

Got it Will! Thanks.

I was hoping other members would pick it up and give the vocal a go also...

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »

Got it Will! Thanks.

I was hoping other members would pick it up and give the vocal a go also...

I had wanted to, but the download was too hefty.   Sad

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »

...I had wanted to, but the download was too hefty...

Attached is Will's un-effected vocal encoded as Ogg Vorbis level 6, which results in a file size of just over 3 megabytes.

(Ogg Vorbis level 6 results in a file that is, for the majority of experienced listeners, indistinguishable from the original wave file.)

* NewSunrisesVox.ogg (3088.67 KB - downloaded 296 times.)

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:52:44 PM »

Attached is Will's un-effected vocal encoded as Ogg Vorbis level 6, which results in a file size of just over 3 megabytes.

(Ogg Vorbis level 6 results in a file that is, for the majority of experienced listeners, indistinguishable from the original wave file.)

Many thanks!   wOO

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »

I just had a listen to this vocal track and to be honnest I wouldn't have a clue how to make it better...

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 05:13:18 PM »

...I just had a listen to this vocal track and to be honest I wouldn't have a clue how to make it better...

Gsnap helped bring some of the off-key notes back in tune, our LADSPA 10 band equalizer shaved off excess bass frequencies and brought up some sparkle around 3500Hz, the LADSPA "versatile plate reverb" gave spatial definition, and the LADSPA "fast look-ahead limiter" leveled out Will's performance.

Also attached is a version without the reverb, in case Will wants to add his own to suit the rest of his production.

* SunriseVoxEqedReverb.ogg (3326.29 KB - downloaded 264 times.)
* SunriseVoxEqed.ogg (2823.98 KB - downloaded 270 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 07:13:27 PM »

Wow! I leave the forum for one day and it gets hectic!

@Wyatt
Sorry about the file size. I thought I was being helpful - get into a lot of trouble for that  Roll Eyes

@Kara
I'm not sure if that's good or bad... I'll take it as good Wink

@Oren
That was dashed fast work sir! I'll transfer these across to the DAW and see how they sound. If I use Audacity's mute, I'll be able to do A - B - err C comparisons Grin

- Will
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »

Gsnap helped bring some of the off-key notes back in tune, our LADSPA 10 band equalizer shaved off excess bass frequencies and brought up some sparkle around 3500Hz, the LADSPA "versatile plate reverb" gave spatial definition, and the LADSPA "fast look-ahead limiter" leveled out Will's performance.

I downloaded the file you posted just before rushing off on a rather stressful trip today..just got back, so I haven't had a chance to do anything with this.  Sad

Thanks for explaining how you worked this..very informative and thought provoking.

Very nice job you did on it, too!!

@Wyatt
Sorry about the file size. I thought I was being helpful - get into a lot of trouble for that  Roll Eyes

Actually Will, I think having the entire mix available was a rather important idea..as I was driving today, it occurred to me that it would have been so much better to have the mix to 'fit' the vocal into.

My internet service has been having a really slow week, which made matters worse..in the future I will dedicate another machine to the task..I have an extra one around here somewhere, that isn't being used.

I guess I am a day late and a dollar short on this project, but I am glad you are in such good hands.

All's well that ends well,

Cool

Wyatt

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 10:11:13 PM by Wyatt » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: