Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:35:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reaper  (Read 6371 times)
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« on: November 02, 2008, 12:25:33 AM »

Anyone out there tried it yet?  It seems like everyone that tries it is impressed.
I'm seeing many converts in many places.
It handles all types of audio formats- it even reads .ape files from 'monkey's audio'!
The new version is downloadable here-
http://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php?l=1
If you like it and continue to use it; please pay the man the little bit he is asking.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:30:01 AM by rharv » Logged

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »

Grin
I been using Reaper for the past couple of years.
I've used Cubase and tried most of the freeware recording apps, but Reaper is definitely the TOPS.
It will do almost anything you ask it to do. The user interface is really easy to learn. It is bundled with more VST's and effects than you could ever need .... and is updated, at no extra charge on an extremely regular basis.
It's also very, very cheap.  Grin

Wink
James

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »

On Kvr the world seems to be divided in 2 parts, reaper lovers and reaper haters  Grin
It is a fact that it is a very fast progressing development, up to the fact that some users already start to blame Justin (the developper) that he puts to many features in it  Huh

Do you use it Rharv ?
How does it compare to Powertracks ?

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

From a brief look at the website, it looks complete! Shocked

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »

I got to admit that I'm a really slow learner. I have problems with technology as so much of it presumes that you know about certain key facts or terminologies before you start. This always holds me back when trying to learn new tasks.
Reaper is so user friendly that I just found my way round it almost instinctively. After learning Cubase it was a piece of cake, really. I did have trouble learning about automation envelopes, but got help from the very active user forum and got it sorted straight off.
One of the major good things about Reaper is that it treats audio and midi in the same way, unlike Cubase and many others.
Does everything that I'll ever want.  Grin
 Wink
James

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »

It is a different interface.  No I haven't made the leap yet.  What tempts me is the low overhead resource use everyone is talking about.  I personally don't like how cubase interfaces and it often gets compared to that GUI, which is why I haven't made the leap yet..

I was just wondering how many here were checking it out.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
MRT

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:30:16 PM »

Thought I would mention that picked up a Reaper license this last weekend and couldn't be happier.
I had started thinking about updating my copy of Sonar(6) as they are offering a free upgrade to 9 if you purchase 8 now. So I downloaded the demo and while it has some nice new features all the stuff that really bugged me was still the same. Almost all my issues are basic work flow stuff. Things that I find counter intuitive.
Have been doing pretty much everything in EnergyXT ver. 1.4 for some time because it's just so much easier to get thing done but it's development stopped some time ago and ver.2 is a non starter for me as it broke compatibility with the earlier version. It seems that a lot of the features that I like in version 1 will not make it to 2.
So no I think I should take another look at Podium and Reaper as I've been following their development for some time.
After a quick go at the demos Reaper just clicked. As James said it intuitive like Energy and powerful as Sonar. After about four days of putzing around I am blown away at how powerful it's audio editing is and it's almost all accessible with the mouse no three key puzzles that Sonar would make you reach for the manual to perform. Midi editing is also drastically improved over my earlier Reaper try outs.
If there is one thing that makes me dig Reaper it would be that there is no difference between midi and audio tracks. Insert a track, if you choose an audio input it records audio,if you insert a Vsti in it's effects bin it records midi. No synth rack or separate tracks for midi and audio for the same instrument simple and sweet.
It's funny when you think how far we have come from the biggest difference in your tape deck being the tape size you used to a DAW that either fits how you work or it doesn't. It's become a very personal thing.
At this point all I can say is that if you are feeling the least bit dissatisfied with your current DAW you might want to give the latest version of Reaper a try.   

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: