Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:33:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A most perplexing situation...  (Read 8374 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 09, 2009, 01:28:23 AM »

I have some questions for those who feel inclined to offer some possible suggestions.......

Mario sent me some audio files via Monkey's Audio and after decompressing the files & running them through Audacity,everything seemed to be fine with them.
However though,once I imported the files into my Tascam recorder,the files did not exist,when I entered the WAV import screen on my Tascam.
My first thought was to re-format the partition in my Tascam's hard drive,in order to clear out the WAV import history,which always works like a charm,normally.....but to no avail this time.
To ensure that my Tascam was functioning properly,I tested it by importing one of my own WAV files and when I went into the WAV import screen on my Tascam, my file was there,so my Tascam is not the problem.
I then made certain that the settings in Audacity were set correctly(24 bit at 44.1) and they are,so Audacity is not the problem either.
I once again,made another attempt to import Mario's files and as I was doing this,I noticed that the import progress bar did not display(when it fills up to a full green,it's a successful import).
Instead though,there was just a quick blink when I was importing and I thought that the import happened too quickly,so for some reason,my Tascam will not accept the data.
I'm really stuck here.....could anyone have any theories as to what might be happening here??
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Thom
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 01:30:23 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:48:40 AM »

I don’t know if this makes a difference or not but the files I sent were 16 bit 44.1.  I didn’t know if you could use 24 or 32 bit files so I played it save and sent 16 bit. If you want I can send them in 24 or 32 bit.

The older I get the better I was!
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:06 AM »

Thom,

Occasionally, a file exported from a workstation that uses "32-bit floating point" internal processing will be empty...blank...no data. I have no clue as to why. (most DAWs use 32-bit floating point - a very good system)
An easy measure to take when exporting a file is to immediately import the file back into your DAW to examine the waveform and ensure there is sound on there. I do this routinely.

Is this helpful...? Cheesy

Oren,.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 02:00:55 PM »

@Mario.......you've got mail.

@Oren,

Being that I have my preferences set to 24 bit in Audacity,I am not following what you're telling me. Huh

Thanks for trying,

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »

Thom,

Occasionally, a file exported from a workstation that uses "32-bit floating point" internal processing will be empty...blank...no data. I have no clue as to why. (most DAWs use 32-bit floating point - a very good system)
An easy measure to take when exporting a file is to immediately import the file back into your DAW to examine the waveform and ensure there is sound on there. I do this routinely.

Is this helpful...? Cheesy

Oren,.

Oren, very good points. 

I record at 32 bit floating point myself. I also decompressed the ape files, imported them into Sonar and they worked. Thom indicates that the 16 bit files work in Audacity but not in his Tascam.  This I have never heard of before.  Later today I’m going to send him the same files in 24 bit to see if that works.

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:30:14 PM »

Thom,
What sample rate does your Tascam require? 44100? 48000?
What bit rate does it require? 16, 24?
Your Audacity works at 44100Hz and 24bits - does it also export files at 24 bits?

...an interesting feature of Audacity is its ability to re-sample audio files. Unless there is a specific reason why the audio must be processed at a particular bit-rate during Audacity's activities, 32 bit floating point internal processing will render the best results. Food for thought....

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 06:52:22 PM »

Oren,

As I mentioned in my first post,my Audacity preferences are set to 24bit at 44.1...the reason for this,is that my Tascam will not accept anything higher than this.

For optimum results,I prefer 24 bit,but 16 bit has always worked.

An update; Mario sent me 24 bit files this time and they worked beautifully....but not due to the bit rate,as I have used 16 bit before.
The only logical deduction I could come up with as the cause of the problem beforehand,was that Mario may have sent me a sample rate higher than 44.1kHz

I have tried using files with a rate of 48kHz when I first bought my Tascam and then I had realized that the Tascam could not read this information.

-Thom
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:58:30 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Alienz

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »

Hi guys,
not sure if this is related but my brother had the same problem with his Tascam, in the end the answer was simple, his tascam can only read MONO files
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »

Note to self; let others know precisely what sample rates I need beforehand! Roll Eyes Embarrassed Grin

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:10:34 PM »

Alienz,

Thanks for the input,but fortunately for me,my particular Tascam is more versatile than that. Smiley

-Thom

Alienz

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »

Alienz,

Thanks for the input,but fortunately for me,my particular Tascam is more versatile than that. Smiley

-Thom

Cheers, glad to hear you already solved the problem, I remember well how frustrating it was before me and my brother figured it out Smiley
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »

The initial files I sent were 16 bit 44.1 kHz files.  I only record at 44.1 kHz so I know that wasn’t the problem. 

I had a million things to do today but I had time to quickly export the files from Sonar, compress them and send them to Thom. These files were 24 bit and as Thom has mention these worked out fine. 

I’ve since had time to reexamine the files and I have noticed one major difference.  The 16 bit 44.1 kHz files were mono.  I always record monophonic instruments as mono. I saved them as mono wav files, compressed them and sent them to Thom.  In my hurried state I saved the 24 bit 44.1 kHz waves in stereo files, compressed them and sent them to Thom. This may have been a blessing in disguise as the stereo files worked and the mono files didn’t.  Something may be going on between mono and stereo files between Audacity and Tascam.  Thom you may want to look into this. 

I hope this helps explain what’s happening here.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 01:21:31 AM »

Mario,

My Tascam has 12 mono tracks and 6 stereo tracks.When I assign the import tracks,I have a choice of either applying these files to two mono tracks,or 1 stereo track.

That being said,you would think that mono or stereo WAV files would work,but as it turns out and as stated in the Tascam manual,my Tascam only accepts stereo WAV file imports.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 01:27:09 AM »

Well for once my screw up helped someone 

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 05:04:27 AM »

Ah... the sweet smell off success! wOO