Kara-Moon Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:50:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In search of a soundcard...  (Read 9529 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: October 25, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »

I've been looking out to buy a new soundcard for a long time. After reading a lot and searching the net, I've narrowed my choices down to the following:

- TC Electronics Konnekt 48
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

I'm also evaluating to use these sound interfaces stand alone in combination with a RME HDSP internal card (as adat intercae): in this way, I have the garantuee of stability, no hiss interference and very low latencies which are important when using the setup live.

I know TC Electronics had a lot of problems with their drivers, but these should be sorted out. On top of that, using the unit standalone, I don't need the Konnekt drivers. Same goes for the focusrite which can be used stand alone with the latest software.

The new setup should replace my i88x from yamaha. I desperatly want to get rid of the mlan drivers (which is blocking 16 midi ports) and would like to have a soundcard with the same audio quality as my Emu 1820m.

Any advice ?
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:49:08 AM »

The never ending story  Roll Eyes It's about a year that Moon is looking for a soundcard  Grin
I just hope you find one BEFORE the next gig  Evil

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »

The never ending story  Roll Eyes It's about a year that Moon is looking for a soundcard  Grin

Actually, it's more like 2 years now  Grin

I don't mind spending a large amount of money on a soundcard... but it will has to last quiet some yeras so I've better pick a good one !

P.S.: Been thinking about a Lynx card too... but decided not to get divorced any soon...  Grin
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »

I think you should team up with the Moody Blues. I believe thay are still In Search Of A Lost Chord Cheesy

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »

I think you should team up with the Moody Blues. I believe thay are still In Search Of A Lost Chord Cheesy

Grin

Oh boy, I really need to take a decision here...

Come to think of it.... it took me less time to choose my wife and belive me, she's more expensive than a soundcard... Cheesy  Undecided
impablomations

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »

Soundcards have the added bonus of a volume control and mute button, whereas wives..........

I can safely type this as my girlfriend has now gone home. lol

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:56:38 PM »

Boy! Are you two living dangerously Evil

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »

OK, the decision has been made. After reading a couple of recent posts on different forums, I decided to order the TC Electronics Konnekt 48. It looks like some owners of RME's fireface 800 are even more happy with the Konnekt 48.

So expectations are highly set. I hope to get the Konnekt by the end of next week and can't wait to test this one thourouhly...

I'll keep you posted on my experiences with this one...

Moon
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 07:01:44 PM »

I'll keep you posted on my experiences with this one...

Looks like it may take some time to come back on this one... 3 weeks delivery time  Lips Sealed   Bump...
impablomations

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 03:37:10 AM »

I've just been checking out the specs on the Kontact.  I now need a new keyboard after I drooled so much    Grin

I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world... perhaps you've seen it. - Steven Wright

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »

Here's how the story continues.

I've recieved the Konnekt 2 weeks ago. After installing it, I had the follwoing impressions:
- outstanding sound quality
- Superb Pre-amps
- Installation goes without a breeze

So far, all expectations are met....

...but...

- LDPC latency 2 to 3 times higher than my i88x
- Lowering latencies resulteted in audio drop-outs
- Analogue line ins 5-12 give a max level of -18 db
- Projects with a couple of active VSTi's could not run without audio dropouts, even at higher latency settings

I did several test on svereal PC's with the same result on the latency issues.  Cry
I did use Texas Instruments based Firewire cards, so I thought I would be safe... but unfortunatly not...
TC Electronic confirmed the -18db issue: it's designed like this (?)

My conclusion: a beautifull device with impressive specifications and features, but unfortunatly some shortcommings on the driver and the analogue ins...

Dissapointed... I've returned the unit... and realised that untill now I under estimated my Yamaha i88x. Despite a few shortcommings, the i88x is a very usable and stable card that can hold it's position against more advanced and modern soundcards. I'm sticking with the I88x and will think twice before a soundcard upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, The Connect 48 is a great device, but's it's not doing 'it' for me...

Eventually, I'll end up buying a PCIe RME soundcard, but untill than... i hold on to my current i88x and never curse again on the mlan driver which beats other brands by miles ahead....

Moon

P.S.: A word on Thomann : they did take the device back and honour the 30 days money back guarantuee. For those in Europe, I can only recommend their online shop.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: