Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on dithering.....  (Read 28938 times)
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 02:21:59 AM »

Another tidbit: When a 16/44.1 file is introduced into a DAW working with 16 bit internal processing, the workstation file measures the same size as the original wave file.
                       When a 16/44.1 file is introduced into a DAW working with 32 bit floating point processing, the workstation file measures twice the size of the original wave file. This suggests to me the file is fundamentally altered (up-converted?) as a track in your DAW.

Which workstation and software?

(Curious)

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

Which workstation and software?
(Curious)

Audacity, in 64 bit Linux.

Curiously, importing a 16/44.1 file into a 44.1Khz sample rate DAW results in an identical workstation file size, but importing the same 16/44.1 file into the same DAW set for a sample rate of 96KHz does not result in a larger workstation file.

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 06:48:56 PM »

My guess is that at import time it does an automatic upsampling that hase (at least) the resolution of it's highest spec so it can then downsample with little or no loss when it needs to.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »

Curious as to how you check the filesize after importing .. do you save it first, or look at a temp file, or does Audacity tell you somehow while the song is loaded?

This 32 bit file increase may be an Audacity only thing (the filesize when working in 32-bit floating point)

I have other 32 bit floating point (processing) software here that this does not occur in.  Maybe Audacity is actually joining Audition in supporting 32 bit bitdepth ..

As a side dish-
I have a 64 bit system ordered which will be here in a few days!  Bit the bullet again.
dual core AMD (2X 2.1gHz) with 4 gig RAM .. 320gig drive ... lappie
I'm excited!

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »

Curious as to how you check the filesize after importing .. do you save it first, or look at a temp file, or does Audacity tell you somehow while the song is loaded?
Yup. Save the project, and then check the project file size. I chose Audacity for two reasons:
- the results are verifiable in Linux, Windows, and Mac.
- Audacity saves the file(s) separately from the workstation settings, so a hoser can examine them individually.

This 32 bit file increase may be an Audacity only thing (the filesize when working in 32-bit floating point)

I have other 32 bit floating point (processing) software here that this does not occur in.  Maybe Audacity is actually joining Audition in supporting 32 bit bitdepth ..
Yup, again. Grin Audacity (in 64 bit Linux) will export in a staggering number of formats, including 32-bit PCM, 32-bit floating point, and 64-bit floating point.

As a side dish-
I have a 64 bit system ordered which will be here in a few days!  Bit the bullet again.
dual core AMD (2X 2.1gHz) with 4 gig RAM .. 320gig drive ... lappie
I'm excited!
All that in a laptop. Huge! What size display?

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »

Display size??
what difference does that make for music?

It.s 15.6 I believe .. 16:9 layout

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »

Display size??
what difference does that make for music?

It starts to make a big difference when you're lugging it around in a back-pack, or balancing it on your knees while doing some audio editing on a bus or plane... Wink

rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2009, 10:20:12 PM »

I see yer point!

I never liked working on a laptop, but I got a wireless mouse and keyboard for it so hopefully it feels more better..

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: