Kara-Moon Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:35:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LMMS  (Read 5713 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: August 31, 2009, 10:05:40 PM »

I wasn't sure whether to put this here, or in the 'Open Source Alternative' category - I'm sure you'll all tell me if I'm wrong Tongue

LMMS stands for Linux MultiMedia Studio. Which is actually a missnomer as it is cross platform, Windows & Linux. The latest version is 0.4 so you can see it is very new.. The version available from debian testing is 0.3.2 and that is what I quickly loaded into my ordinary office machine (I don't mess with the DAW).

It appears to be a very complete package, having a built-in soft synth that sounds remarkably like Zyn. and even seems to have many of the same controls Shocked

There is a built-in chord selector and arpeggiator (somewhere - I didn't find it!)

It also supports both LADSPA and VST plugins (I noticed that the debian version installed wine), and it also supports sample libraries.

There seems to be support for both tracker style operation as well as piano-roll sequencer, but I haven't been able to get a drum pattern running in the tracker yet. It might help if I was to read the {ahem} fine manual Smiley

I haven't had time to do more than just make a quick few sounds and a recording of 'Three Blind Mice', but I'd say a lot of thought has gone into the general design and layout. It would probably be well worth watching.

Finally, It says it's free, but I can't find out what license it is under.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:17:12 AM »

...another fascinating toy to lure me away from guitar practice...

Lately I've been running around like a kid in a candy store... wOO

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 06:14:24 AM »

I think it was a good idea to put it here.
I've read somewhere that it is free 'for the moment' but that the official version (V1.0) won't be free anymore  Huh

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:24:15 PM »

Here is a "classical" composition from the LMMS demo page that indicates to me the application has matured into a worthy audio tool... wOO

* TobyDox-Nothing_else_matters_(Classical_Remix).ogg (4627.54 KB - downloaded 320 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »

Well spotted that man!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:40:58 AM »

Well spotted that man!

Didn't notice any spots on the guy, Will, but he certainly can program those string sounds... Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: