Kara-Moon Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:58:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Capturing screenshots?  (Read 4723 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: April 24, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »

I've always wondered how folks here have managed to capture screen-shots from their DAW programs and now that I have a full blown DAW to work with,I would like to share my experiences with my New Presonus workstation & hopefully help other Windows users in choosing their next DAW.
One of the primary reasons for my choosing Presonus,is for it's reputation as being a very stable program and in fact,it is every bit as reliable as my Propellerhead Reason 4.
This being said,my future review updates & demos might influence Linux users to perhaps even consider using Windows also, in the future(to obtain platforms that aren't available in the open source realm).

I especially think that for like minded folks like myself-of whom are mere musicians,rather than also being tech savy engineers,would greatly benefit from programs like Presonus and I would really like to spread the word....as I don't think there are too many folks who are aware of how unique this program is.

As for the screen-shot capture thing,I bought a new video editing program recently-of which has a video capturing mode.....is this the method by which DAW screen-shots are captured?

A point in the right direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »

Thom,

the easy way, which I use, is to hit PrtScrn key to capture the whole screen. This brings it's own problems when, like me, you use two monitors as it captures both of them.
The other method of hitting Alt + PrtScrn only captures the 'active' window. This is usually the best option.

I then paste the captured image into an image-editing program and save as a *jpg or *gif.  Using this method it is easy to combine multiple screenshots into a single image.
See examples.

Hope this helps, my friend.

Wink
James

* finalmix.jpg (411.33 KB, 1606x752 - viewed 509 times.)

* noise removal.jpg (251.86 KB, 1570x787 - viewed 529 times.)

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »

James,

I had absolutely no clue as to how this was done,so this will indeed help in getting me started-thanks! Cool

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »

Thom,
that 'PrtScrn key' does exactly the same as the 'copy' function in any windows application. It saves the 'visible screen' to the clipboard so you can then paste that image into any other windows application.
Sometimes it is easier to just paste it into a Word document and send it from there.  Whatever suits your workflow.
The Alt+PrtScrn function is the most usable.

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:48:21 PM »

I tried both of your suggestions,but to no avail,as nothing happened whatsoever. Huh

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:45:42 AM »

Thom, when the computer screen shows what you want to share then press the Print Screen button, usually just right of the F12 key.  Then immediately open your graphic-editing program.  I use Corel but you can also use paint and possibly word – I have never done this is word.  When your graphic-editing program opens click on new then paste.  What ever is on your computer screen when you click on Print Screen will now be a picture in your graphic-editing program.  Then save as a jpg.

I hope this helps.

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:49:44 AM »

Mario,

I assumed that something was to pop up when I hit the "Prt Scr" button...my bad.I'll just keep tinkering away until it dawns on me.

Thanks,

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: