Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:46:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Beginnings(Mario & Thom)  (Read 10493 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: June 05, 2010, 07:13:03 PM »

Since I was so moved by Mario's tribute to Wyatt,I wanted to add a bass & drum track to his song,so I did just that.
I also applied some additional effects to the areas I felt it would do the most good.

@Mario...I hope I did justice to your song in accordance with your specifications.

A lot of love went into this rendering & I hope I've conveyed this accurately-enough so,that you will all enjoy.

-Thom Cool

* New Beginnings(192kbps).mp3 (6402.85 KB - downloaded 331 times.)

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:16:11 PM »

Some nice additions there. Bass works particularly well.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »

Shocked
This is quite a 'tour-de-force'.     Shocked

If I am allowed a tiny criticism ...  Roll Eyes
on comparing with my thoughts on Mario's original ...

at 2:10 the extra processing on the guitar detracts from the purity of tone (again at 3:45) and at 2:40 the most magical moment (to me) was the creeping in of the trade-mark congas to blend with the pure guitar tone ... and that has been drowned out  Undecided

Just my opinion, of course ... but if this is to be a tribute then I would hope that a final remix would clean up the sweetness of the guitar and bring back those lovely congas ... please  Kiss

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:19:43 AM »

@Thanks for the comments Will.

James,

You're criticism is more than welcomed and in fact,I decided to make a change where the congas are concerned.
In it's uncompressed state,the congas are noticeable & I had not heard the MP3 version,until I decided to give it a listen..after having read your comments.
Still though,the congas definitely needed a boost,so I brought out the congas more,by making increases at around 350Hz and 600Hz,so as to avoid any clipping.

Apart from all that,my Presonus's MP3 export function does not have a 224kbps option,so in an effort to bring more clarity & detail to the MP3 format,I exported the WAV file to my other PC and used my Audacity to render the 224kbps version.

As for making Mario's electric guitar more pure...well...I much prefer to compromise a little purity,in order to bring more of an emotional impact to this song,so I did not touch the effects I added to it.

Thanks for your comments James. Cool

Here's the new version;

* New Beginnings(ReMaster).mp3 (7335.81 KB - downloaded 347 times.)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:21:15 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »

Good job Thom.  You took this to a totally different place.  Version II is better than version I IMHO.

To be honest the first time I heard this I didn’t like it. It wasn’t where I had pictured it.  Then I said to myself hey, Thom’s additions were not to put it where I wanted but to put is own personal touch on it and place it where he wanted it.  So I tried to clear my head of any bias as listen again.  Listening to it with “new” ears helped. Your additions fit like a glove.  Good job on this Thom.

The older I get the better I was!
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:54:26 PM »

I like a lot the additions of Thom, it gives the song a kind of floating ethereal feel

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 02:56:40 PM »

Mario,

First of all,I am fine with your objections-as after all,it is your song and my style differs form yours.As for how you envisioned the new version to be,well....I had absolutely no idea what you had pictured it to be and given no instructions as to what you wanted,I just went with what I am.

Your song obviously has a very personal meaning,so I'm sorry to disappoint.There's no reason for you to feel obligated to like it,as I had fun doing this.
If now-you do in fact,like it,then great....but if not,that's perfectly fine also. Cool

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 02:59:36 PM »

Thanks Kara....that was my whole objective....to make it dreamy. Cool

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »

Thom, that was NOT an objection just a personal feeling thing.  I did not give you specific instructions on what to add or what not to add.  I just gave you the song and said have fun with it. And you did.  You DID NOT disappoint!  You played it your way and that is how it was SUPPOSED to be. 

Like I said when I first listened I listened with bias.  Once I realized what I had done I corrected that.   Your version is very good!  As a matter of fact it is in my keeper folder.

I apologize if I left the wrong impression.  I probably should have keep my mouth shut-----again!

The older I get the better I was!
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »

Mario,

I'm just saying that-in any event,your thoughts are welcome....I just thought perhaps,that you may have secretly wanted a different version done,& that would be fine.

I'm glad you really did enjoy it though! Cheesy

-Thom

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 03:34:56 AM »

... Thom’s additions were not to put it where I wanted but to put is own personal touch on it and place it where he wanted it.  So I tried to clear my head of any bias as listen again.  Listening to it with “new” ears helped. Your additions fit like a glove...

What a team! wOO You all know I've been a big fan of Mario's since way before he joined this forum.

Of late, my attention has repeatedly been drawn to Thom's ability to re-create a musical statement by careful editing and adding his own instruments.
Another of Thom's attributes is that, although I don't always necessarily like his compositions, I am never indifferent. Very characterful... Shocked Cool

Spectacular, gentlemen!

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »

Thanks for the extraordinarily kind comments Oren! Cool

-Thom

offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »

Kiss
Perfect improvements, Thom .... it is always the measure of Kara-Moon members that they take on board the comments and suggestions of each other.
After all .... we each have different ways of hearing things and our musical feelings are triggered by certain sounds or memories.
 Embarrassed  It's so wonderful to part of this family.  Kiss

Wink
James

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »

Thanks James! 8)Yeah....I've always considered K-M my home on the internet and of course,it means much more than that. Smiley

-Thom

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: