Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:37:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Casio WK-7500  (Read 51230 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »

Hmmm...the longer this thread becomes,the more I am inclined to just strongly suggest to you,that you should forget about the Casio & just invest that money into transforming your PC into a music workstation-because in doing so,you will have addressed all of your concerns by leaps and bounds.

Just think about & give it some serious consideration,as you would have the flexibility to cultivate multiple options....such as choosing the number of keys you want(along with the quality of the key-bed),software with sounds far superior to that of ANY Casio and all of the tracks & effects you would ever need.

Since you are interested in vocals as well,I have to be perfectly honest with you....recording vocals using budget keyboards and/or portable multi-trackers to capture vocals is a certifiable nightmare.
Unless you are prepared to spend well over a grand,you will only be left with piss-poor pre-amps & effects to work with,which will merely yield in distortion issues & an excess of ambient noise.

If you at least have a dual-core processor with 2GB of RAM & assuming that you are using Windows,I might be able to hunt down a nice set up for you,if you are willing to go this route.
However though,with the software,powered speakers,midi controller & audio interface,I won't be able to keep it all at the $600 mark...so expect to pay around a $1,000 for everything.

For the price of a high end Casio stage piano,you could have it all and also have unlimited possibilities and it's really the most economically viable solution in the long run,because a computer workstation will never become obsolete.

-Thom

kwandar

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 02:09:46 AM »

I have a quad core with 4Gb actually, so that (other than adding a sound card) isn't a problem.  I don't have speakers, but I have nice AKG headphones.

I'll lose portability however, and  I need something for my daughter too, something with at least 76 keys and something I can move to another room (away from MY *I'm possessive* computer) Smiley 

I noticed a lot of open source software and thought I might try to experiment with that.  There is no question the best sounds would be from a "good" soft synth setup, but I'm really lost as to what I need.  Hmmm .... it really is something to consider.

Okay, with $1K to spend, what software, midi-controller and sound card would you ideally get?
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 05:52:43 AM »

With the monster PC you're running,it would be silly of you not to ramp it up to a music workstation! Cool

If I was starting from scratch,here's what I would get;

Software: Presonus Studio One Pro $299 @ BHphotovideo.com

Audio Interface: Mackie Onyx Blackjack USB $199 @ BHphotovideo.com

Midi Controller Keyboard: M-Audio Axiom 61(version 2) $329 @ BHphotovideo.com

Generally,this retailer is the cheapest around...but it's always wise to constantly price check on the internet with as many retailers as you can find(but stay away from SamAsh online).

The Presonus software comes with plenty of virtual instruments(enough so,that you won't have any need for any open source VST's).Presonus S1 also has all the multi-effects & mastering effects you will ever need and has built in conversion to MP3 & such.

The M-Audio has the auto mapping,which M-Audio refers to as Direct Link.The key-bed action is superb.

Just as a reminder,audio interfaces have an upgraded sound card built into them(& Mackie is high quality),so all you need to do is run a USB cable & you're good to go(once you configure your PC's audio settings).

As a golden rule,I passionately disapprove of trying to mix on headphones-as mixes don't translate well to other systems easily,but until such time as you can afford a pair of studio monitors,the AKG's will suffice(I only use headphones to lay down vocal tracks).

If you insist on the open source route,then there's plenty of folks here that can navigate you through this realm,as I never dabbled in it myself.

kwandar

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »

Thank you for all that info!

I can't use your retailers unfortunately, as I'm in Canada.  We get treated like Hawaii and Alaska (or worse) for shipping charges, and we have a wonderful 13% sales tax Smiley  Fortunately I'm usually able to source at pretty good costs.

Presonus in particular looks great.  That is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.  I don't insist on open source ever - I just like best product for best price, and since I don't know the products, it seemed like a good place to start at the time.

I'm trying to understand what the Audio Interface does beyond a sound card, (although from your description it includes a sounds card) so it looks like I'll have to invest a little more reading time.  I note that this comes with Traction 3 software included.  Have you heard anything about that vis-a-vis Presonus?  (Yes, I know my cheapness is showing again, but honestly ... this started out as a $200 project! Smiley  )

Thanks again!

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 10:30:34 PM »

If you're going for the Presonus DAW, you should know that during the NAMM music trade show days (13-16 jan) they're doing a deal for the download-version of the light version of that DAW for just 20 USD (http://www.presonus.com/namm/). After getting this light version, you can apparently upgrade to the full Studio One Pro for just 200 USD which would mean getting the whole thing for 220 USD.

I've not worked with this DAW myself but it looks good and it's gotten a great review in my favourite music tech magazine Sound On Sound.

Also known as Marc JXP
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »

Aside from an audio interface being a simple way to upgrade to a better sound-card,it has full size 1/4" audio outputs for connecting studio monitors(as supposed to those horrendous PC-powered speakers).
An audio interface's primary function,is to interface external sound sources directly into your PC,such as microphones,guitars..etc.,.

I paid $400 for my Presonus S1(& I still think it was worth every red cent),so I can see no reason for you to pass up the opportunity to get it for $220,as Marc pointed out.

As for the Traction 3,I really don't know anything about it(other than it being a program geared for DJ's).

There is a fairly steep learning curve for someone who is brand new to computer DAW's,but between the folks here & the folks at the Presonus forum,we've got your back,all the way.

I myself,have never been a very technical person,as I'm merely a musician that learns what is necessary to record music effectively and the people here and on the Presonus forum,have saved my *ss countless times.

If you do decide to get the software,I help you along with whatever I can and whatever may be beyond my ability to resolve,the tech support team at Presonus is the best in the business.

Things will be a little easier on you than it was for me,because I bought this software when it was still in it's infancy & I had to contend with all of the bugs that the older versions had.
Now however,all of the glitches are ironed out now and the amount of freebies in terms of sounds has accumulated to quite a library.

kwandar

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »

If you're going for the Presonus DAW, you should know that during the NAMM music trade show days (13-16 jan) they're doing a deal for the download-version of the light version of that DAW for just 20 USD (http://www.presonus.com/namm/). After getting this light version, you can apparently upgrade to the full Studio One Pro for just 200 USD which would mean getting the whole thing for 220 USD.

I've not worked with this DAW myself but it looks good and it's gotten a great review in my favourite music tech magazine Sound On Sound.

Now THAT is one sweet deal.  That is a simple decision, and I'm ordering that tomorrow.  THANK YOU!!

(Can you find a deal like that on the audio interface and keypad? Wink )
kwandar

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »

For anyone interested, Casio finally announced the North American availability of the new WK and CTK keyboards starting in February:

http://www.gear4music.com/news/article/NAMM-2011-Casio-Release-New-CTK-and-WK-Keyboards/399/2011-01-14
kwandar

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 04:35:04 AM »

PRICING ... Casio finally put out a press release.

Available in February, 2011 the WK-7500, CTK-7000, WK-6500 and CTK-6000 deliver pure playing pleasure. The new series will be available at music channels with MSRP’s ranging from $299.99 to $599.99. For more information, visit www.Casio.com.

I'd expect retail/street pricing for the WK-7500 to come down to $499.  I've been told that this will work as a keyboard controller too, although I'd like to get some clarification.  If so, I think it might be worth the extra $170.

Picked up Presonus One Artist ... what I can get working looks good (wish it would quit asking for non-existant DVDs).
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »

Kwandar,

Indeed,lite versions of software programs can be irritating to work with-which is why I insisted on buying the Studio One Pro version-but of course,I paid $400...whereas you only paid $20,so your problems are minor,at best.

I think that if you go to the Presonus website,there may be an updated version of Artist that you can download,to fix your "DVD" problem.

If you run into a brick wall,register at the Presonus website & post your query on their forum....the Presonus staff is helpful,but some of the Presonus users on the forum are extremely helpful,as they are more knowledgeable than the tech support staff and can fix ANY problem you my run into.

-Thom

kwandar

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 02:37:16 AM »

Don't get me wrong, PResonus works ... and its very nice so far. 

The DVD thing is minor, and doesn't at all effect the product's usability - just a nuisance item, and for $20 it was a fantastic deal!
kwandar

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »

In case anyone is interested ... demo/discussion of WK-7500 from NAMM I found. 

http://www.keyboardmag.com/GearVideo.aspx?bctid=750401513001&bclid=27965002001
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

Well..it's nice to hear some of the individual sound programs demonstrated,but this guy Rich from Keyboard Magazine is an idiot,as he hardly new anything about this instrument,as the guy conducting the interview was explaining all of the details in full. Roll Eyes

This of course,is nothing in new in these conventions,as quite of few demonstrators are virtually clueless,since these large companies don't want to shell out the green for someone who is knowledgeable.

The thing is though,that Casio's are such simple keyboards & all it takes is a bit of internet research,to get one's head around a keyboard like his.
I certainly wouldn't embarrass myself like this at a show by being so ill-prepared.

-Thom

kwandar

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 05:28:58 PM »

I thought the stereo grand piano was very good - but I suppose that is why they led off with that.  I was a little less enthusiastic with the other sounds (I would have preferred hearing something in strings other than erhu. 

The Hammond sounded fairly decent from what little I heard, but I wish the interviewer had played it, as he certainly seemed to know more about it.

Maybe its just me but I wasn't that impressed with the Wurlitzer ... it was okay.

Drums seemed okay ... again, would have liked to hear more.

For $499 I can't be complaining too much however, and he did indicate this could be used as a midi-controller.   Not at all bad for the price ... not a Kronos though I wasn't expecting that either Wink
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 06:09:56 PM »

Yes indeed,Casio is very adamant about showcasing their best sounds,while avoiding the sh*t sounds.....which leads me to believe that the drums sounds(since they weren't performed as a single),are probably very average....as well as the strings,synthesizer,brass & woodwind programs.
I get the distinct impression,that Casio applied most of it's production budget to improving it's sequencer,rather than focusing on sound quality.
If Casio increased the price tag-to say,$700...and at least had the sound quality of the old WK-3800,then the WK-7500 would have been one hell of a workstation & still have been a fantastic value.

-Thom

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: