Kara-Moon Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:06:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic help needed  (Read 6581 times)
eenymeeny

« on: September 30, 2010, 05:50:29 PM »

Hi Folks!

I'm trying MMA out again, since I am especially interested in the PLECTRUM track.

However, I cannot get my head around the PATTERN, TRACK and SEQUENCE thing.

What I want to do:

- Define a bouzouki-tuned instrument GDAD
- Assign some typical bouzouki picking/strumming patterns
- Use these with simple chords

So, it seems I have to use a PLECTRUM track and define a PATTERN for it that is then used in a SEQUENCE.

What would be the quickest way of doing this? Do I need a GROOVE?

I have tried this groove definition:

Code:
// Trial groove
// Bouzouki tuning

SeqClear
SeqSize 1
Time 4
Timesig 4 4

Begin Plectrum Define
PAT1 1.0 +3 120 120 120 100; \
2.5 -1 - - 80 80; \
3.0 +4 120 120 120 100; \
4.0 +2 90 80 80 80;
End

Begin Plectrum-bouzouki
Tuning g- d a d+
Voice NylonGuitar
Volume m
Sequence PAT1
End

DefGroove bouzouk Bouzouki accompaniment.

But then I get the error "PLECTRUM: There must be 6 strings listed definition, not '120 120 120 100'".

I don't get this: since we have to define the patterns before the instruments, how is this going to be possible?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Also: why is DEFINE sometimes used and sometimes not used? I feel I nearly "get" MMA, but something is just not clicking at the moment. A section in the manual that presets a sample file and explains it line by line – not using GROOVEs!! – would be very helpful.
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »

Welcome and thanks for the bug report.

First problem is that you have found a bug Smiley

Right now there are 2 ways around it. First off, you could put the line:

Plectrum   Tuning g- d a d+

Before the define.

Or, forget about the define and just use the pattern right in the main section:

Sequence {1.0 +3 120 120 120 100;
           2.5 -1 - - 80 80;
           3.0 +4 120 120 120 100;
            4.0 +2 90 80 80 80;   }

Now, to some of the questions:

Do I need a groove? Nope. But it will make what you do today much more usable tomorrow. AND, even if you don't want to stick the thing in a library file, you'll be amazed when you create 2 to 3 similar grooves (add strings, drums, etc) and call them up in the song.

As to the "sometimes we use define, sometimes we don't" ... well, I think if I were doing it all again I might not bother with define. When I started out, I thought I needed it for speed. I was wrong.

On the other hand, I use it all the time from the INCLUDEs.

If you are using the same pattern over and over again it gets tedious retyping it all over. And, defines are complied so it sound be faster.

Also, depends on the sequence size. If you have 1 bar seqs it probably doesn't matter that much ... if you have 4 bar patterns (highly recommended) then you'll find define very handy.

Hope all this helps.

I now need to study the code and see what needs to be done to fix the tuning/define problem.

Let us know if this helps, etc.

Best,

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
eenymeeny

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »

Hello Bob,

Many thanks for the super-fast reply!

I will give your suggestion a whirl and let you know how I get on.

As to the DEFINE point, I'm not sure myself what I was on about, after re-reading the manual at that point.

I think what confused me is that patterns are DEFINED, but I thought it was the track being defined.

Also, I have now read pp. 179 ff. in the manual, about BEGIN/END blocks. If I am not mistaken, however, it might be an idea to refer forward to this earlier in the manual? That is, by the time these keywords are in constant use, e.g. from 36 ff., it would be good to have a quick pointer to them.

I understood a lot more after skipping forward to 179 ff. and reading about the block concept!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:32:50 PM by eenymeeny » Logged
eenymeeny

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »

Hello again!

Just one more question before I go off to sleep .. about chord voicings.

If I'm working with a bouzouki tuning, then clearly the chord voicings (fret layout) will be different to e.g. a classical guitar.

Looking at the notated version of, say, an Em chord, I note some problems.

With tuning GDAD, there are many ways to get Em!

One way is 2-4th string 2nd fret, doubling the E at the top -> GEBE.

However, to ensure a high G, we'd need to move our finger on the 4th string to the 5th fret, giving us GEBG.

If I have a pattern on just the top three strings, like this:

Code:
Define Pick1 1 0 - 100 - -; \
2.0 0 - - 90 -; \
2.5 0 - - - 90; \
3.0 0 - 100 - -; \
4.0 0 - - 90 -; \
4.5 0 - - - 90;

then I'd prefer the second variant, since otherwise the pick will be EBE and not EBG (more monotonous!).

Is there a way to achieve this very special kind of chord voicing for fretted instruments?

I note PLECTRUM can't take a VOICING command, but is there any other way?

ChordAdjust perhaps?

I don't mind defining all this stuff, although it's fairly extensive. Cf. this table of possible chords on Han Speek's page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~hspeek/bouzouki/gdad/ (follow PDF link).

While I won't need all the chord shapes in this list, some variants to chords would be nice!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »

Some what apologetic since I didn't write the code for Plectrum ... but I think the code only grabs enough notes to make a chord ... but I'm likely wrong.

There are several ways to modify things.

Use a capo setting. Remember, in MMA the capo doesn't transpose ... it modifies the tuning of the instrument. So, an Em remains an Em. But the note selection will change.

Use a barre setting. So, to make the pitch higher use "Em:2", etc.

Change the tuning. You're already doing that by using a 'd' and 'd+'

Finally, you can define custom chords. But I would avoid that unless you really, really need to!

I don't think that chord shift (Em>2) or any of the voicing modes will effect things. Best test ... let me know if the docs are wrong!!!

Are you aware of the command to show the chord shapes?

Debug Plectrum=On

in your script will display way more detail than you ever wanted Smiley

On blocks ... I've made a note to myself to check the docs on this. But, it does say at the start of the manual to read the whole thing first Smiley Good point you make. Thanks.

Does this help?

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 11:59:18 PM »

I've been thinking a bit about the DEFINE problem with Plectrum tracks. I don't see an easy (or or complex) solution.

The problem is that when you define a pattern it gets compiled in the same manner as a complete sequence definition. The only difference is the name used ... when you create a pattern like:

Plectrum Define MYPAT ...

MMA compiles the def and stores it in a slot called "MYPAT".

When you do something like:

Plectrum Sequence {1.0 +3 120 120 120 100; ...}

the same compile code is called. And the result is stored in a slot with an internal name (something like _123). Once all the stuff in {} is compiled and named we create the sequence to use ... it'll be stored something like "MYPAT MYPAT _123 _444" ... or whatever. I'm getting into more detail than needed.

Now, the problem is that to define a pattern for a Plectrum track the number of strings on the instrument has to be the same as assumed by the pattern definition. So, you can't do a DEFINE and then change the string count.

The only solution I see is to make a proper note of all this in the docs. If it's all understood ... then I see no problem creating a library file with all the gory details hidden from an unsuspecting user Smiley

Any other ideas are welcomed!

eenymeeny

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »

Hello Bob,

Many thanks for the further suggestions.

I'll have a chance to try this all out at the weekend and let you know how I get on!

I also agree with you about PLECTRUM: once you know where to place the tuning info it's less of a big deal.

Cheers,

Ed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: