Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 02:46:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Nights  (Read 12912 times)
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: May 18, 2007, 06:37:36 PM »

This came tumbling out nicely after a bit of a dry spell..makes me kinda homesick for the tradewinds..and here I am, trying to settle down for a change Grin

Island Nights..

..not conventional structure, but I like the smooth development, and the consistent theme.

..it always puts me back there.

Wyatt

EDIT: ..latest version..updated 08-13-07.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 11:31:53 PM by Wyatt » Logged

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 06:50:49 PM »

A bit of hesitating start of the song, which actually makes you curious about what is comming.

But a great idea for a song, it has a good swing.
To become a full song it needs 2 thing (IMHO)
- A bassline, if you have chord chart I can add it if you want? But perhaps you better wait for the full version
- A good lead, Vox or synth ? don't know

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »

A bit of hesitating start of the song, which actually makes you curious about what is comming.

- A bassline, if you have chord chart I can add it if you want? But perhaps you better wait for the full version

..thank you for your comments, kara.

there is more of a 'bass-line' in the 2nd half, but it is like what you hear near the end of this one, which is some hammered chords on my strat..not exactly a bass-line, but something I added to put more of a bottom on it.

I am in the process of trimming the longer version down..I would be tres hereux if you would do the honors of playing a base track..I don't have a chord chart, but can post the new version in the next day or two,.Grin

Other than the percussion track, all tracks are Fender Stratocaster..4 guitar tracks..one track made by mixing down three..the second track made from mixing down two, and two tracks that I played straight through in one take.
The so called bass-track I used EQ to take the mids out entirely so I wouldn't crowd the other tracks..all guitar tracks cleaned in Audition..no other fx..straight from my amp to my mixer.

I record intruments, either guitar or harmonica..or a tiny pinch of keyboard on rare occasion..I don't know MIDI, syths, samples, loops..would like to learn though when I hear some of the fine music people do electronically..I just do the best I can with these things I'm a little familiar with.

Wyatt

EDIT TO ADD:

Oh, I wanted to share what I was thinking about the intro. I have been listening to some very layered music here, and my guess is that the sense of layers might be coming from tracks being predominately different frequencies..?..not sure..

..anyway, I started with one track and added another, then added three more tracks, one at a time..influenced by some of the songs I have been listening to..kind of in the back of my mind.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 12:32:31 AM by Wyatt » Logged

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »

Hey Wyatt! I like the sounds of the guitars...very nice.

I'll add to the list if you don't mind....would like to hear a change or more of a hook somewhere.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 05:52:58 PM »

ok, i'll see what i can do once the final version is done

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Northern_Fist

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:58:53 AM »

THis is a very freaky listen... especially with the panned instrumental parts.  My brain feels like it is being tickled from both sides of these headphones.

Good expressive guitar parts and a smooth drum loop.

One suggestion: Wouldn't it be cool if there was a "crossover"  point where the two guitar parts swept into their opposite pannings?  It probably shouldn't be instant, nor slow, but it would be a good trick to play on the listener... just a thought.  Then at the end, you could even experiement with the panning being tremeloed, or LFO-ed...  cool huh?

"The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils."
- The Merchant of Venice (V, i, 83-85)
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

Hey Wyatt! I like the sounds of the guitars...very nice.

I'll add to the list if you don't mind....would like to hear a change or more of a hook somewhere.

Hi Fred,

I have been wrestling with something like what I think you're saying..it doesnt have a continuous structured melody line. When I was writing it I was mentally on the beach..torches stuck in the sand..waves coming in..didn't have a story with a beginning middle and end..

Normally I write with a structure in mind..like verse, verse, chorus, etc..chord progression and melody and then harmony.

I wasn't very successful when I tried to come back afterwards to impose a structural element onto this. For me I am kind of up a tree unless I can hear it.

Thanks for listening and thanks for your comment.

Wyattt

Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:17:29 AM »

THis is a very freaky listen... especially with the panned instrumental parts.  My brain feels like it is being tickled from both sides of these headphones.

Good expressive guitar parts and a smooth drum loop.

One suggestion: Wouldn't it be cool if there was a "crossover"  point where the two guitar parts swept into their opposite pannings?  It probably shouldn't be instant, nor slow, but it would be a good trick to play on the listener... just a thought.  Then at the end, you could even experiement with the panning being tremeloed, or LFO-ed...  cool huh?

Northern_Fist,

Thanks for your comments, and for your enthusiasm. It actually did cross my mind at one point to cross over, but I was worried about it getting too busy. I already had so many guitar tracks in there that I mixed some of them to narrow it down to 4 tracks of guitar. It was starting to feel like taking a bunch of puppies out for a walk without any leashes.

I might have even given it a try, but not long ago I did a song like that and had my wife listen in the headphones. It made her  nauseous, so I figured I better back off, at least a little.

It gives me some ideas though..gotta hang onto that sense of adventure.

Wyatt

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 07:05:40 PM »

Hey Wyatt I like your guitar playing here!  Cool
I look forward for the full version
You can start working on drums variations, it can inspire you to different developments, imho

Cheers
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:58:04 PM »

Hey Wyatt I like your guitar playing here!  Cool
I look forward for the full version
You can start working on drums variations, it can inspire you to different developments, imho

Cheers
Hi Laguna,

Thank you for listening. I like your idea of drum variations. That was my first drumtrack, and yesterday I started playing with a different one.

What I noticed is that, in spite of the fact that I play kind of a large variety of music, playing to a rythm track causes me to have to fit in with something just a bit different than I might have otherwise..and yes, it is inspiring.

By today I am seeing what you mean in a way I hadn't before. I put a percussion track with a verse and chorus I wrote a few months ago, and it has a very different character..it surprised me.

Good call..

Wyatt

Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 08:01:09 PM »

Woow ! I'm really glad it was a good advice  Grin
well, you figured it out by yourself....  Wink
Keep on !

Cheers

Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 08:13:36 PM »

Some nice guitarlines you have here.

I understand this is just a first draft. Just the same I'll give some of my thoughts about it.

Basically you have one idea here. To make the song more interesting you could introduce one or two more ideas. This could be a change in chords, add another instrument which doesn't have to be a lead instrument, it could also be something else in the background or maybe a bassline.

Of course I don't know if you have all the gear to do this.
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 08:39:09 PM »

Some nice guitarlines you have here.

I understand this is just a first draft. Just the same I'll give some of my thoughts about it.

Basically you have one idea here. To make the song more interesting you could introduce one or two more ideas. This could be a change in chords, add another instrument which doesn't have to be a lead instrument, it could also be something else in the background or maybe a bassline.

Of course I don't know if you have all the gear to do this.

Martin,

Thanks for listening and for your comment. I hear what you're saying.

I felt like this needed something when I was writing it, but I haven't quite got to the place where I can hear it. If I can hear an idea in my mind, I can nail it.

I'm going to keep thinking about this, because another instrument might be a good way to develop this..maybe a key change or some sort of a break..it stays somewhere instead of goes somewhere..I like where it stays, but would like to have it go somewhere too.

LOL..your right about not having the gear..I don't have a lot of gear, but at this stage it's me that need working on Grin

Thanks for your input.

Wyatt

blipp
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 08:43:11 PM »

I like the guitar playing and the melodies they play. A bass line is very much needed though and i agree that it needs some kind of change up. There are some nice ideas in this and i'll look forward to hearing the final version.
Wyatt
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 09:21:03 PM »

Thanks Blipp. I'll see what I can do.

Wyatt

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: