Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:30:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts On Musicianship & PC Knowledge...  (Read 4295 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: April 04, 2011, 02:28:42 AM »

Just 7 years ago,I pushed myself away from a time where I used to depend on a friend to record me is his studio and I finally took the initiative to learn the recording process myself.
I started out with a Tascam & moved on from one hardware multi-tracker to another,in an effort to improve my recordings to achieve the best renderings possible.
Then I became involved in this forum & despite my hesitation & deep seated fear of the vast & complicated world of computers,you guys managed to encourage me & provide the learning tools I needed to pull it off and I went farther than I ever thought I could go.

I have arrived to a point where I accomplished some very polished recordings & collaborations that I am very proud of,but I still get blindsided by the complexity of PC programs & I still feel like a stone cold amateur at times and well...when it comes to understanding computer filing systems,I very much am,a novice to it.

When I was in the process of installing NI Komplete 6 to my computer,as well as into my Presonus DAW,it was the worst ordeal I had ever been through with regard to computers.

Johnny,aka TheMuzic,from the Presonus forum,was the only person who could pull me through that crisis and during which,he had become very irritated with me,over my ignorance of computers.
To make matters worse,I had another terrible time when I performed an update to an upgraded version of my Presonus DAW,as I had lost a lot of important material,due to the update.
While I was very upset over it,I had posted on the Presonus forum,about what had happened with the update and Johnny had make a joke in reference to my profane words in my post and being in the state of mind I was in at the time,I misinterpreted his post as being a joke,so I fired back at him with a fury.
My misunderstanding also had to do with the fact that he only made the joke and didn't offer any helpful words...coupled with the fact that he wasn't returning my phone calls or e-mails and the fact that he blew off this forum & never returned,also fueled my grievance towards him.
Still though,I felt terrible over the discord that occurred on the Presonus forum & I wrote him a heartfelt apology,but the damage was already done.

All this being said,I never wanted to be dependent so much on other people for help with my computer debacles ever again,& I imagine that I am now making Mario a little nuts with my ignorance of computers.
Mario has been nothing but tolerant & understanding,as well as sympathetic to my frustration,but I wish I wasn't so imposing in this way.I really can't stand being so helpless with computers & I think I've reached a point where I have no choice but to enroll myself into computer school(assuming that there is one within a reasonable distance from me).

I have an ADHD disorder & a short term memory problem while I am under stress(the latter,as a result of a head injury),so I don't know how well I would do in school,or if any instructor could tolerate me. Undecided

I am really burnt out as a result of the last 3 days dealing with this new software program & it made me reevaluate myself,in that changes need to be made,where my utter lack of computer knowledge is concerned.

-Thom
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:31:08 AM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 04:05:25 AM »

...it made me reevaluate myself,in that changes need to be made, where my utter lack of computer knowledge is concerned...

Thom,
You are approximately where I was was when I finally decided to blow off Windows and enter the community of open-source software enthusiasts.
Of course, you may opt to continue with Windows and Presonus, but with a broader base of knowledge and skills.

It's all about learning things in your own way, at your own pace. This approach establishes a natural independance - where you call the shots.

As one of the most naturally talented digital musicians I've ever encountered, it's good to hear you're about to take the bull by the horns.

kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »

Tom,

Although I can understand your complaints about the difficulty of acquiring the technical skills of a PC DAW, I ask myself the question if this is something new or has this been part of a musicians daily challenge since the beginning....

Actually it all depends on what you want to do...
For a start (as a statement) , musicians invest years of study and training in there instrument ! I started to learn piano when i was 6 and graduated from musical high school at 18, that's 12 years of study. At that time I was so tired of playing piano that I even couldn't look at a piano anymore Smiley To 'change' I decided to learn bass guitar, I got 2 years of private lessons and over the years did a couple of master classes.
So, that makes more then 14 years of study only to play music, not even counting the endless hours of repetitions....

Now years later, we have the ways to make our proper recordings without the need to invest thousands of dollars in hardware. The only thing you need now is a good PC and DAW software.
But.... the thing is that a PC and/or WIN wasn't initially build to do realtime audio stuff. Win at his base was an office OS, and it still is ! Soft- and hardware builders are constantly pushing the limits and trying to emulate 'real' dedicated audio hardware.
As just a little example, under WIN you can't even recompile the system kernel to a real time kernel like you can under Linux (not saying that you should learn linux)
Over the years economy changed which make the companies change there delivery model, we don't buy physical products anymore, we buy 'download' products. Which means we need internet. Now to be honest, internet is part of our live now, but it was probably the worst technical nightmare invented. Most people do not really understand internet and the risk they are taking by using it. Most of them use it in a way where they would run around in the world completely naked and when they left home they left there front door wide open !
All this to say, that it is just another tool (instrument) that a musician uses now and that you have to invest time in it learn it...

k

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »

Thanks for you're input guys,much appreciated.

I do understand that Windows was not meant for professional audio production,but there are plenty of folks out there who have a workaround for it & are making it work for them seamlessly & Mario is one of them,as he's got a firm handle on things.

Mario has never had any issues with Native Instruments software & it seems that Marc hasn't either,while so many others are struggling with Native Instruments.

Some companies cater to the novices by not only created user-friendly software,but also provide very comprehensive customer service,but NI is not one of those companies.

That being said,& apart from Mario's assistance,it's really up to me to figure it all out,but it is starting to look like I wasted $119 but I'll never give up,as after all,it's not as though I can get a refund if I wanted to.

If it were possible to return downloads & DVD roms,then I think it would put NI out of business & it would force them to improve their customer service.

As good as the Presonus company is,there are still users on the forum that have a serious technological edge over the Presonus employees & it's a shame that these companies don't employ such prolific people.

-Thom

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:44 PM »

I do understand that Windows was not meant for professional audio production,but there are plenty of folks out there who have a workaround for it & are making it work for them seamlessly-Thom

However you can set up a Window’s OS PC for professional audio production.  It just takes a little more time on the learning curve.

For those just starting out I would suggest the http://www.amazon.com/Windows-7-Dummies-Andy-Rathbone/dp/0470497432
Book.  It will help you understand the OS.

After getting the handle on the Os I would then suggest one start surfing the net on tips on how to set up Windows for professional audio production.  I did that in XP and it helped tremendously.

Thom, be forewarned that the first thing I learned and did was to get your system off line and eliminate anything in the background that could interfere with audio recording.  Things like anti-virus, anti-spyware or anything else that runs in the background can and will cause problems.  Even if things have changed when I get a new computer with Win 7 it will still be off line.

The older I get the better I was!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: