Kara-Moon Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:18:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why don't we allow streaming of audio...  (Read 6752 times)
kara
Kara-Moon, a site built by and for musicians
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

Music is my middle name

« on: May 31, 2007, 12:55:32 PM »

This is a question that comes up here from time to time, so I want to answer this in detail.

First a bit of history, just for the guys that weren't here from the beginning.
- The kara-moon forum is here since more the a year now and the first idea was to discuss music and production. We only had a few member and it was pretty calm...
- Then the old Auditorium, in which i was a moderator, died when Spe3D stopped his internet activity. I proposed to the community to take over the auditorium and make a good place to discuss music & production. We only got positive answers and new members started to join (thanks guys for joining us !)
Alltough this was good news it  allso had a backside.
The more we grew, the more problems we had. I still don't understand why, but we have been under severe hacker attacks ! We suffered from all possible and impossible attacks, like 10000 parallel login from the same IP adress, parrallel downloads of free sample pack, parrallel playing of songs, and a couple of worse things that I don't understand  Grin Moon is the techy here.
At a certain time, to stay a live as a site, Moon was constantly monitoring the site and modifying the code of the source to make it more secure. Thanks to his effort we never have been down, and I hope it stays that way....

We allso learned a lot of this
The old auditorium has been hacked 2 times and was completly down at a certain time. One of the reason was the streaming and direct linking issue.
Big forums like kvr (just to name one) doesn't even allow direct attachments to posts and they know why...

We wanted to offer the service to have not only direct attachments ot your post but allso direct linking to your songs. But we have to keep in mind the security of the site. You don't want us to dissappear tomorrow, don't you....
So, we had to make a choice.
The fact that streaming is impossible is that the playing of a song is handled by software and not directly played, it not only handles the downloading of the song but allso the security to avoid abuse.
And this will stay that way, unless Moon finds some miracle solution.

I understand that some people don't want to wait for the song to download, despite the fact that we have a fast server with unlimited bandwith, but I don't have an answer to this.

I hope you understand...

kara

_____oOo______ http://www.myspace.com/kaazduo

www.kara-moon.com, a site built by and for musicians
Support us at : http://www.mymajorcompany.com/Artistes/kaaz/
Laguna Rising
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »

I hope you understand...

Yeah, for security purposes there must be limitations, I know... Wink
At first seems strange not to stream music, but that's not a big problem because the server is really fast to download and it's a real short wait

Cheers
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »

Laguna, thanks for your understanding.

By the way, I still have some idaes for a miracle streaming solution, but I need to test it further... So who knows, someday this will be possible !  Wink
Martin E
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »

I hope you understand...

Yeah, for security purposes there must be limitations, I know... Wink
At first seems strange not to stream music, but that's not a big problem because the server is really fast to download and it's a real short wait

Cheers

I have no problems with it either. As Laguna says it's just a short wait. But my connection is pretty fast. Others may have longer download times.
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 09:46:21 PM »

Yeah, it stinks when a few sour apples ruin it for everyone.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Nystul

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:01:22 PM »

I think it is quite reasonable.  Personally, I have always preferred downloading to streaming content anyway.  To me, streaming content is only for things that I know I will only watch or listen to one time.  If I might want to keep it, it is great to have it already sitting there in the download folder.
rharv
Use in Moderation
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

Glad to be here

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:41:15 AM »

When you stream a song it does get put on the hard drive in a temp space.  It's just a matter of hitting the save as button and it gets saved very quickly.

Make your sound your own!

http://www.motagator.net/bands/556/
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 03:05:51 PM »

Fine with me... In fact, once again I'd like to say 'top notch job!' to Kara and Moon for creating this forum and all the connected stuff like the hosting of music! Thanks!

Also known as Marc JXP
magmavander
Frenchy but chic
Kara-Moon-Collective

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:46:05 AM »

Yeah, you dont have to bother kara and moon. We are all thankfull for this great forum, an oasis for musicians... I dont care about streaming or dowloading, what I want is to keep this space alive and meet here all my good friends around the world!!

MERCI.

Frenchy but chic
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: