Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:11:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone got experience with RME audio interfaces?  (Read 10375 times)
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« on: May 18, 2011, 05:16:38 PM »

I'm really interested in the RME Fireface UC which is a USB version of RME's Fireface 400. Why USB? I don't really like firewire as an interface and I like the idea of having something as simple as a USB connection for my audio.

RME's name is very good and I've already read several reviews and their own forums, but I always like to hear as much personal experience as possible. I'm currently using the E-MU 1820m which is brilliant and has a good audio quality, but as it's still PCI (not PCIe) and I've had some problems with the drivers in the past I'm thinking of changing it.

Also known as Marc JXP
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »

No help from me, friend. Wink Everything here is M-Audio and Digitech.

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:34:53 AM »

Wow...I was shocked to see how much that RME interface is going for...$1299 is a hefty price & I seriously doubt anyone on this forum would ever be willing to shell out that kind of scratch for an interface! Shocked
I'm familiar with RME-in that I am familiar with it's popularity & reputation,but I've never had the need for such a comprehensive unit,nor will I ever.
In light of your consideration for such a serious gear upgrade-I have to ask...what exactly is it about your KRK RP5's that you like so much and why have not ever considered upgrading your monitors as well?
I mean...you're obviously very gear-savvy and serious about your work...so what gives?Are you not aware of what your missing?Don't get me wrong,as I have owned quite a few different entry level monitors over the years and the Rokit's are the top of the heap in the amateur arena....but for serious mastering purposes,it does not make sense to use them.
In contrast to the Adam A & AX series,the Rokits are very convoluted,muddy & boxy sounding....the difference is really astounding and I can't impress upon people enough here,just what a huge impact monitors like the Adams would have,in one's studio.

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »

Hi Thom, I got the interface a bit cheaper than that - it's a German company so probably a little bit more expensive in the US. I'm talking past tense now because in the mean time I did decide to go for it and they arrived this week so I'm going to try it out this weekend.

They are expensive - but I've arrived at a point where I'm kind of frustrated with some of the limitations of my previous interfaces so I'm looking at this as an investment in ease of mind and flexibility (the routing system is amazing).

Considering the monitor speakers, I have actually been considering this for a while but at the moment I've gotten kind of used to how the RP5's sound. Also, seeing how different speakers can sound from each other - even supposedly linear monitor speakers - getting new monitors is more of a risk for me. Still, you are right in that these monitors are getting to be the weakest point in my audio link.

(Just what I needed - an excuse to get more audio gear! Wink )

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »

Last year, after spending ages looking for a new audio interface, I bought an RME raydat and hdsp 9632 PCIe card.
OK, they are expensive, but let me tell you: you get what you're paying for. Really, I whished I bought these cards much sooner, despite of their hefty price tag.

If you can afford a RME card, don't hesitate. They are truly amazing: perfect sound quality and what's more important, rock stable drivers.

From my experience with my PCIe cards, I can only recomend RME.

Moon

P.S.: also take a look at this http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/rme-fireface-uc.htm
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »

Hey Marc,

Just for future reference-should you decide to upgrade at some point,the Adam A5's are my highest recommendation;

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a5x/description

With your comfort zone regarding your RP5's in mind,I think these monitors would be an easy transition for you....just think of them as a pair of RP5's on steroids. Wink
The AX line is an improvement over the previous A-line & the Ax5's are compact-yet powerful,with a very impressive frequency range of 50Hz to 50kHz.
They are as cheap as $900 a pair in the U.S.,& probably cheaper where you are.I'm eventually going to replace my RP6's for the AX5's.

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »

Thanks! I've quickly checked them out on my favourite online music store and they are both affordable and well specified. I'm particularly intrigued by the stereo linking and the fact that they have a on/off switch and volume controller on the front - I never know why so manufacturers put these on the back... Well - new monitors will probably my next project, so I'll keep these in mind and I'll probably be asking you about others.

Also known as Marc JXP
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »

I'm particularly intrigued by the stereo linking and the fact that they have a on/off switch and volume controller on the front - I never know why so manufacturers put these on the back...

I suppose that the rear mounting of controls are contingent on the particular design & placement of the drivers,the particular size of the front baffle a manufacturer chooses to go with and where they decide to mount the electronics leading to the attenuator & power controls,as this is a factor that effects the internal design,in terms of acoustics(that would be my guess).

As with volume controls though,the general principle of studio monitors,is that the gain controls are set to their ideal mark and that any changes in volume that need to be made,are done via your audio interface/mixer.

What really puzzles me though,is that it seems to me,that a power switch is small enough to be mounted just about anywhere and Alesis mounts their power switch on the top of their M1 active 520's & 620's...which is really cool and convenient. Cool

It's a shame & a grave disappoint to me,that those Alesis monitors are so noisy & convoluted,because their design concept was very practical & aesthetically pleasing,but the components & amplifiers in them are garbage.

Oddly enough,is that not only are those monitors still in production despite them being 7 years old now,they are now marketed as being "DJ" monitors. Grin

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 11:16:26 PM »

Well, yesterday I connected the Fireface UC and I'm happy to say that it's been a great experience so far. Configuration was really easy and the mixer application that goes with it is a dream to use. It's complex, but not overly so, and it's fantastically flexible. I tried to use it with a buffer of 128 samples first which worked a charm and today I did a real long session in Cubase 6 with a 64 samples session. As it is, I feel that I could go lower but for the moment the latency is negligible. Sound is amazing - even compared with my E-MU 1820m I feel like I've got a better stereo separation and more detail. Having said that, I haven't done an A/B test so I can't be 100% sure about that. In any case, I'm really happy with how it worked. Right now I've also taken this as a chance to optimize my studio setup and simplify the cabling.

Also known as Marc JXP
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:08 AM »

Congrats on your new tool....sounds like a pretty pristine piece of kit. 8)Speaking of upgrades,I recently placed an order for a new PC from CyberPower.
It's a AMD 6-core,2.80Ghz with 4GB of RAM and a 1TB HD....hopefully this will be enough power to run Omnisphere! Grin

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »

Ah - Omnisphere is one of the best VSTi purchases I've done for years. Once you've got it it's insane how much you want to use it! Cheesy

Congrats on your new PC; sounds like a pretty powerful thing. I read your other post about this; sorry to hear about your M3 but it's important to work in an environment that you feel comfortable in and you can't do that if you doubt the reliability of your tools. Not saying that I think computers are more reliable (in fact, I think they're both fallible which is why I like to use a combination of them live) but it's all about finding that 'right' setup. My new RME is for me a step in the right direction. I should add that I've combined it with a Profire 2626 which I'm now using as an ADAT converter to the RME gets an extra 8 channels in and out, which is really cool. I've had the Profire for a while now but I was never really satisfied with it. The firewire connection was a real pain (it did work but it always felt so much more critical than a USB connection does) and the RME just feels more easy to use and better set up. To be honest, I feel like it's a really great combination.

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »

Glad to hear the UC is working out for you. Doesn't surprise me though. Good luck with this soundcard. I'm sure it's a keeper in your studio.

Moon
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:15:32 PM »

Glad to hear the UC is working out for you. Doesn't surprise me though. Good luck with this soundcard. I'm sure it's a keeper in your studio.

Moon

Yeah, one of the reasons I was looking at the RME soundcards was that I remembered your enthusiasm about the card you got and I totally understand that now. So thanks for pointing me to them!

Also known as Marc JXP
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: