Kara-Moon Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:32:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A recording of a truly 'natural' talent.  (Read 3017 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: July 20, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »

There really is no appropriate place for this!

I recorded this in 1992, by hanging out of an attic window at about 4:30am. This was as close as I could get to 'Blackie' who always sat high up in the same chestnut tree. The time was dictated by the need to get zero traffic noise. Even then I was at this every morning for about a week!

The MIC was a bog-standard Unidyne B plugged straight into a Casio DA-7 portable DAT machine (cost an arm and a leg in those days). I was getting a bit paranoid about losing this so took a Wave copy from the machine in the late 1990s.

Blackie is actually a copyright infringer. He copied the most notable part of his song from a friend who used to whistle that handful of notes frequently - to everyone's annoyance. However, we forgave Blackie as he'd been hearing it virtually from hatching. You see, he'd fallen out of the nest and Terry (same one as I've mentioned previously) hand reared him. Also, I swear that at a couple of points he's actually laughing!

A final twist was that a couple of years later we saw and heard several young blackbirds with a remarkably similar song.

Warning! This file is about 12M and the audio runs for 8 1/2 minutes.

http://www.archive.org/download/BitsAndPieces/Blackbird.mp3
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:38:12 PM by folderol » Logged

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »

Other than the "copyright infringement" whistle, your bird sounds more like the "redwing" blackbird that inhabits lowland marshes in the northern areas of North America. And once in a while I hear something remarkably like a robin's song... Huh... Shocked... Cheesy
Cool! Afro

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »

I don't know about your birds over there, but the English blackbird is quite an accomplished mimic. Poor Blackie never got to be taught by his parents so he probably just stitched together everything he heard!

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: