Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:40:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cakewalk Sonar X1  (Read 9046 times)
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« on: September 05, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »

Some months ago, Cakewalk released their next generation flagship software: Sonar X1.

Reviews on this new version were so optimistic that I decided to buy the upgrade.

After 2 days spending with this new version, I realized I jumped to fast to this new version and happily returned to the version 8 incarnation. Reason: hanging software and at one stage the blue windows screen (which I hadn't seen in quiet some time).

However... several months have passed, and apparently Cakelwal didn't sit still. In fact, they allready released the third software update on their X1 version.

Time for a new installation !

This time, Sonar looks like it regained it's rock-solid stability. So far none issue what so ever...

One thing stroke me: some people complain about the interface because it's talking up more space. I have to disagree on this: new high-resolution moniors have smaller pixels and in order to make the interface user-friendly, you need to change the interface.

If you're planning to use SONAR X1, I would strongly advice you to get a full-hd (1920) screen, or even better: 2 of them !

Anyway: I'm a happy Sonar user again, even though I have the feeling I need to go back to school to get used to this new version. Well, it's a good time of year to go back to school anyway  Grin

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »

I never really considered buying Cakewalk...but perhaps I may have if I owned a Roland workstation,for purposes of better integration,I guess.

Mainly though,it was the Presonus S1 software that really grabbed my attention first and even though it has a great layout & workflow,I despise the fact that you need to have internet access,just to open up the program. Angry

This is one of the many reasons why I am so excited about the Yamaha MOX6,as Cubase AI is included and it's not a trial version!

I've heard great things about the Rapture software,but I already have too much going on as it is,to add anything else and besides which,I will probably invest in future upgrades for my Cubase...of which I will have as of tomorrow!

-Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »

Thom,

I'm sure you will like Cubase and in some time, you'll certainly are going to want an upgrade to a more expanded version.

There's really no point in discussing the pro's en con's of Cubase versus Sonar versus Logic versus...

In terms of feautures, they all have an enormous arsenal.

The preferred software is often the software you know best.

Anyway, I think you will like cubase together with the Mox !

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:53:17 PM »

Moon,

In terms of sounds,effects, sequencing & the like,I would agree that there is no debating that.However though,there are pro's & con's that do exist,among different DAWS.
As I had mentioned,Presonus's operation being contingent on having an internet connection is a big con.Trying to install Native Instruments to a second PC,is a big con.
The Reason program not having universal VST support is a big con.

I don't anticipate any cons with Cubase,especially since the integration with the MOX6 is so seamless...so I know I will love Cubase with my MOX6! Cheesy

-Thom

Fred S
Moderators Views

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »

Just installed X1 and X1c a few days ago. I'm looking forward to working in it and hope I like it. Bought the Power book and a couple video tutorials, so I'm working through that stuff for now. I also play in 2 bands so have been busy working up all the needed patches on the Kronos. Ahh, what a rough life Smiley

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:23:20 AM »

I also just updated to X1C.  After 7 years with Sonar 5 it is taking sometime getting use to this new interface. Plus I learning a new OS, 64 bit Win7, a new audio interface while I’m under the gun to get the yard landscaping done before winter and painting and staining before the new rug gets installed next week. I’m whipped! After next week things will slow down so I can optimize Win 7 for music production and really learn X1C.  But thus far X1C has been rock solid.

Moon you are right about a monitor.  I had to dump my old 19”CRT for a new 25” HD monitor.  It made all the difference in the world. 

The older I get the better I was!
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »

Mario, after using X1 for a couple of days, I decided to buy the X1 tutorial by Groove 3
See http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2ceuro/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=30-G3X11.00-20E

This one really gets your going! To me, it's worth the money I payed for it.

Moon
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:50:03 PM »

Thanx moon, this looks really good.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 05:33:34 PM »

Thanx again for this tip Moon.  I did purchase it and it is well worth the price.  It sure beats trying to read the PDF manual Wink  I have a problem reading from a monitor. I did buy  Sonar X1 Power by Scott Garrigus and I will use that as a reference.

Thanx again for sharing that info.

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »

Glad I could help  Cool

Moon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: