Kara-Moon Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:34:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Cubase & my MOX6....  (Read 38546 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »

FWIW, while I'm not actually familiar with any of the kit being mentioned here, I very much take the 'bear of little brain' approach. I try to keep things as simple and direct as possible, and only slowly over time have added extra bits to my kit.

I've no doubt this is less effective than it could be, but it does mean that my major problems are with myself rather than anything inanimate I can shuck the blame on to  Roll Eyes

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »

That's strange - I thought Sonar was related to Roland; isn't it a development of Cakewalk?
[/quote]

Marc,

Yes of course,Sonar is a Roland product,but what I meant to say is,in one of the on-screen menus of the MOX,Sonar is listed along with Logic, Digital Performer & of course Cubase,as having exclusive compatibility with the MOX.

I find it particularly odd that although Presonus was designed by some of the same developers from Steinberg,Presonus isn't listed in the MOX6,but Sonar,is. Huh

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 03:06:57 AM »

Well...back to the salt mines,as I have contacted Steinberg support to request a reactivation license for my Cubase AI5. Undecided

Since the MOX does not support Presonus,I can't use the DAW remote functions and I am really disgusted with having to depress the play button on my MOX6's sequencer with one hand,while using my other hand to depress the button on my PC's mouse,hoping like hell I press them down simultaneously,in order to achieve synchronicity. Roll Eyes

This is a very archaic way of having to create songs,track by track and it's f**king ridiculous,because I wouldn't have to go through this tedious sh*t all the time,if I could just learn Cubase! Angry

I'm still waiting for Yamaha to release their tutorial DVD and hopefully,the video will be comprehensive enough to help me.If not,then I am going to return my MOX6 and save up for an XF.

I still have 2 weeks to return my MOX6 for a full refund,so all won't be lost.

-Thom

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:22 AM »

Hi Thom,

Doesn't the MOX have a Mackie HUI or MMC control setting? You might get Cubase to respond to that. You also might be able to use the key commands from Cubase to set START and such to respond to specific MIDI commands, but I don't know what the MOX's transport buttons transmit so I would try the first things I mentioned first.

Hope you get it working.

Marc

Also known as Marc JXP
SLD Music

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 01:46:58 PM »

Thom,

I'm curious why you think that getting an XF6 (or the full version of Cubase for that matter) will solve your problems?  Given the troubles you're having with the MOX, I fear that getting an XF6 will just make you even more angry...  Neither board is appreciably different in terms of DAW integration.  In fact... they are almost identical...

It seems as if you're banging your head against a wall here.

That all said, my XF8 works just fine with Cubase. 
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 01:57:27 PM »

Hi Thom,

Doesn't the MOX have a Mackie HUI or MMC control setting? You might get Cubase to respond to that. You also might be able to use the key commands from Cubase to set START and such to respond to specific MIDI commands, but I don't know what the MOX's transport buttons transmit so I would try the first things I mentioned first.

Hope you get it working.

Marc

Marc,

Mackie HUI or MMC control settings?You're speaking in a foreign language.Anyway,I think I might as well direct my efforts to seeing what I can accomplish by learning Cubase.

Thanks,

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »

Thom,

I'm curious why you think that getting an XF6 (or the full version of Cubase for that matter) will solve your problems?  Given the troubles you're having with the MOX, I fear that getting an XF6 will just make you even more angry...  Neither board is appreciably different in terms of DAW integration.  In fact... they are almost identical...

It seems as if you're banging your head against a wall here.

That all said, my XF8 works just fine with Cubase. 

Scott,

I am sure you're aware of the major differences in the number of insert effects and polyphony,between the two boards.If I had an XF,I could make a complete & polished recording,without the use of a computer.

I followed the instructions of the Motifator's articles to the letter,on how to set up the MOX6 with Cubase AI5,but made no progress and unless I get assistance from Steinberg and/or the DVD tutorial,I'm stuck.

Perhaps it doesn't make too much of a difference,but the MOX is a bit different from your XF and more than likely,you're using a different version of Cubase than I am.

-Thom

elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »

Hmmm.... interesting,I just read on the Motifator website,that the XF comes with AI5....I would have thought XF owners would have been given an upgrade,considering the huge price difference.

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 04:33:48 PM »

Hi Thom,

Hope you get it working.

Marc

Marc,

Mackie HUI or MMC control settings?You're speaking in a foreign language.Anyway,I think I might as well direct my efforts to seeing what I can accomplish by learning Cubase.

Thanks,

-Thom

Mackie HUI is a standard protocol, supported by many sequencers. Originally for the Mackie Control hardware controller, it's become a kind of standard and supports such stuff as track levels, starting, stopping and such. Even cheap stuff such as the Behringer BCF2000 supports it, it's become a kind of general remote control between hardware and software and I would be surprised if this version of Cubase wouldn't support it. I would think that the MOX6 would do so as well. MMC - MIDI Machine Control - is an even simpler universal protocol, using MIDI commands to do start/stop functions and such.

Also known as Marc JXP
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »

Hmmm.... interesting,I just read on the Motifator website,that the XF comes with AI5....I would have thought XF owners would have been given an upgrade,considering the huge price difference.

There's no such thing as a free lunch  Grin

Perhaps a consideration: before spending money on a full blown sequencer, do have a look at the different options and go for the one that gives you the best feeling towards workflow and methods. Also check on which software provide tutorials. For example: Sonar has some great easy to understand tutorials that realy gets you going. Just a thought...

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »

Moon,

It had crossed my mind to consider Sonar,since it's one of the DAW's that works exclusively with the MOX6....but that requires me to spend more money.
But yeah...it is far less expensive than buying an XF....but damn,I want an XF anyway! Cheesy

-Thom

Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »

Thom, judging on what I allready heard from the Mox, I'm not sure if you need the XF  Wink

If you're planning to keep working with a combined setup (DAW & hardware synth) I would definetly consider to get Sonar X1 Producer or an equivalent studio software.

Moon
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »

Thom, judging on what I allready heard from the Mox, I'm not sure if you need the XF  Wink

If you're planning to keep working with a combined setup (DAW & hardware synth) I would definetly consider to get Sonar X1 Producer or an equivalent studio software.

Moon

Moon,

You've read my mind,as I have been researching Sonar X1 for the last 15 minutes and I very much like what I've seen thus far! Smiley Sonar seems to have a very simple & efficient layout as my Presonus DAW and I think I will get along just fine with it.

For the same price as Presonus,Sonar X1 has an impressive amount of included sounds....at least twice the amount,from what I've viewed so far. Shocked
There's also a staggering amount of video tutorials on YouTube,which I am very happy to see. Cheesy

The verdict isn't in quite yet,but it looks as though this might be my next DAW. Grin

-Thom

SLD Music

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »

Not that anyone's asking, but I think you're cruisin' for more heartache getting an XF at this point.  I realize the irony in saying that, as I really love my XF...  But given the trouble you're having, I can't help but think a much better use of your money would be on learning resources for the things you already own.  Or at least getting a DAW that already offers a large and varied amount of educational resources to new users.

In reference to Cubase specifically... although it won't go into installation issues or the specific integration between your MOX and Cubase, I have found a fantastic resource in the tutorials over at Macprovideo.com.  Don't be fooled by the name.  It's not just for mac users.  Their Cubase tutorials are very good and they are creating more.  Come to think of it, ALL their tutorials are good.  Their Logic and Ableton tutorials are VERY extensive, as are their great tutorials on Final Cut Pro X.  Even their generic tutorials on MIDI, mixing, recording, and keyboard playing exercises are cool. They work for me anyway.  I find it to be one of the best sites of it's kind.

Just throwing that out there...  Your mileage may vary.  Smiley
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 10:32:16 PM »

Thanks for the input & I agree that it's more practical to just keep what I have,especially since I am very fond of my MOX6 anyway.I am really leaning towards Sonar X1,especially since I just downloaded a new license for my Cubase AI5 and it came in a format that my PC can't recognize and one that I have never seen before.

Steinberg is really getting on my nerves and the only company that I am more annoyed with is Native Instruments,at this point. Roll Eyes

The only good experience I have ever had with free software,is Alchemy and once I have my MOX6 paid off,I really think Sonar would be an ideal investment for me.

Reason 4 and Presonus have been nothing but an absolute joy to install & work with,& I think Sonar is just as well suited,for someone like me.

-Thom

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: