Kara-Moon Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:06:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Akai EWI  (Read 6118 times)
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« on: September 27, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »

Anyone here playing an EWI? I just got one last week ... a lot of fun.

If you don't know, the EWI is sort of an electronic saxophone. It really isn't ... but lacking a better description, it'll have to do.

I had no idea that they'd been around for over 20 years. Nor did I know the number of fine musicians playing them.

I've put up a little link page: http://mellowood.ca/music/essays/ewi.html

My online life: http://www.mellowood.ca
Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »

The EWI is highly regarded as an instrument in its own right, as is the Yamaha WX5 - and that "Synthophone" Bob Hunt and Mick Emery play.
Looks like fun, Bob! wOO

bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »

I chose the EWI over the WX mainly due to its standalone feature. Just plug into an amp and you're off and running. Well ... you have to practice first Smiley

I've never seen a actual sythophone ...and at nearly 4K I doubt I'll be getting one to play with. But, it does look very nice.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »

I have an EWI-USB that I have yet to master. I like the trumpet type fingering it has to offer.  It’s great for us old ex-trumpeters. 

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:30:47 AM »

I'm using sax fingering ... wonder why?

The hard part of me is getting the hang of the octave rollers. But, it's getting better with each practice session.

I'm finding that I have to put on my "be gentle and soft" hat when I play it. No wild movements, etc. So damned many things to hit with different fingers, etc. I'm concentrating on getting the fingering down right now, I'll leave the vibrato, bends, etc. for later.

I am finding that the expressiveness is great.

MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »

I'm using sax fingering ... wonder why?

Are you a sax player?  I am not so instead of learning a completely new fingering pattern I learned the modified trumpet fingering.  That was much easier for me.

The hard part of me is getting the hang of the octave rollers. But, it's getting better with each practice session.

I'm finding that I have to put on my "be gentle and soft" hat when I play it. No wild movements, etc. So damned many things to hit with different fingers, etc. I'm concentrating on getting the fingering down right now, I'll leave the vibrato, bends, etc. for later.

I am finding that the expressiveness is great.

Oh yea, those octave rollers are a killer. You have to be very articulate with your thumb.  That is my weakest point.  Unfortunately I have not have any time this summer to practice the EWI.  Hopefully things will calm down in the next couple of weeks so I can start again.

You are right in that the expressiveness is great.  It adds a lot to my midi playing.

The most important thing that I found out is set the instrument up for your playing. The EWI-USB has a configuration window so you can set a number of parameters to match your playing.  I’m assuming the EWI has one also.  Try some settings.  I have a number of configurations patches saved that I can recall, some for trumpet patches, sax patches, fast songs, slow songs etc.

It is taking me a long time, especially since my lack of practice time, to get the hang of this instrument however it does take a while to master any new instrument.

Have fun - MarioD

The older I get the better I was!
bvdp
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »

Are you a sax player?  I am not so instead of learning a completely new fingering pattern I learned the modified trumpet fingering.  That was much easier for me.

Yes. Not that I'm convinced that the fingering translates enough to be worthwhile. But, I've started with sax fingerings so I'll continue that way. There are certain shortcuts that I take on sax that are 2nd nature to me and they're not on the ewi ... time and practice will take care of that.

The most important thing that I found out is set the instrument up for your playing. The EWI-USB has a configuration window so you can set a number of parameters to match your playing.  I’m assuming the EWI has one also.  Try some settings.  I have a number of configurations patches saved that I can recall, some for trumpet patches, sax patches, fast songs, slow songs etc.

Yes, different setting for different voicings. I think that the easy way to handle this is with the computer interface on the ewi. Settle on a few voices for now and add in more later. Right now I'm just concentrating on the figuring.

Just need more time in my life Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: