Kara-Moon Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:34:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A look at Reason 6  (Read 3848 times)
elwoodblues1969
Kara-Moon Master

Studiophile,Audiophile & Synthophile.

« on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:57 PM »

I've had Reason 4 for about 3 years now & never had any legitimate issues with it,because I've always loved it's CPU efficiency,powerful synthesizer engines,factory basses & guitars and the effects.
I of course,had always hoped for the integration between Reason's instruments/effects and audio recording and when the Reason Record was first included into Reason,it was made into a separate program that had to be operated independently-which to me,was an oxymoron.

However though,many Reason users aired their grievances about this and Propellerhead listened intently and delivered integrated audio recording in their version 6,of Reason.....YAHOO!  
The absence of universal 3rd party VST support remains constant,but I applaud Propellerhead for this,because CPU efficiency is something that Propellerhead has mastered well and it is one of the best features that the Reason program has to offer.
In the 3 years that I've had Reason 4,I have only purchased one Refill plug-in,as I've been consistently side-tracked by other software....but now with version 6,I feel that it is due time for me to take full advantage of all that Propellerhead has to offer(especially since all of the Propellerhead products are so wonderfully priced)!
What's really convenient for me,is that one can upgrade to version 6,from any previous version and for Reason 4 users such as myself,there's a vast amount of new additions to be had...in fact,a profound amount of features!
Included with Reason 5 version,were the Kong drum sampler,the Neptune pitch corrector and the Dr.OctoRex(which was previously only a single loop player/editor,which was then upgraded to 8 independent loop player/editors).
In addition to the integrated audio recording,version 6 includes thousands of new,additional factory patches,the ID8 sample player(with 36 included preset patches),live sampling,time stretch and audio transposing,and 4 new effects processors,which are the Pulverisor Demolition,The Echo,The Alligator and Line 6 bass & guitar amp simulators.
The Pulverisor,is comprised of distortion,compression,a multi-mode filter and modulation;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=byjk-gV6xd8  
The Alligator is,is a 3-band gate effect;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhDdUAqsd0&feature=channel_video_title  
The Echo effects processor,is my personal favorite,because it is a radically unique delay unit,in that it allows the user to assign the effect exclusively to just the snare drum of a piece of music and/or just to book-end a vocal,for example.
This is a really a fascinating concept,as it eliminates the need of having to cut & splice one track,followed by having to add an additional track-with additional effects,just for the purpose of adding an effect to the last word of a vocal or other sound;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6FZ4X9NYKU&feature=relmfu

The upgrade to version 6 from a previous version,is only $169...which is an incredible value and an absolute must have for me! I've also recently discovered,that a company called Nektar,has specifically designed a midi controller to work seamlessly and very comprehensively with Reason 6!
This is not just another in an endless line of generic midi controllers,but a piece of hardware that is as proprietary and unique as Reason 6 itself!

Nektar's midi controller is called the Panorama and it was designed to provide user control to every function in the Reason 6 program,which is nothing short of extraordinary!  
http://www.nektartech.com/

My only real concern about this midi keyboard controller,is if it has semi-weighted action(of which is not specified by the manufacturer at this time)...as it would be a real shame not to include some usable action.

-Thom

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:37:31 PM by elwoodblues1969 » Logged

Oren
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »

Looks good, Thom!

I've been a long-time fan of the Propellerhead phenomenon. It is good to see innovative independent programmers come up with audio products that promote this kind of user-friendly creativity. Similar in many respects to Reaper and Jeskola Buzz. Cool
(they seem very responsive to the needs of their customers, in contrast to, for instance, Cubase and Steinberg.... Wink)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: