Kara-Moon Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:09:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another 'gotcha' warning.  (Read 4300 times)
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »

A friend told me that for some time he had to keep correcting BIOS settings, but hadn't been too bothered as he rarely actually switched his machine off. However, he found his keyboard was getting intermittent and eventually failed completely so could I have a look at it, please... pretty please?

Normally I'd say sod off, but I took pity on him strongly suspecting I'd know what at least half the problem was. Indeed, as I expected the battery had died having less than 1/2 volt instead of the required 3.6. However, closer examination showed that not only was this a soldered-in rechargeable, but that it had leaked. A powerful magnifier and equally powerful lamp revealed the other part of the problem. The spill had corroded a hair-fine track that went to the keyboard plug.

After cleaning off all trace of the battery fluid, a quick spray of electrical varnish re-sealed the board and a small link wire on the underside restored keyboard operation. Finally, today, soldering in a new battery meant he no longer had the BIOS problem.

However, there a moral to the story. If things start going 'strange' don't just try to fudge round it, or you may end up with a much more complicated problem further down the line.

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Moon
Global Moderator
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:59:38 AM »

However, there a moral to the story. If things start going 'strange' don't just try to fudge round it, or you may end up with a much more complicated problem further down the line.

Very true! And not only when computers are involved.  Wink
Oren
Moderators Views
Kara-Moon Master

...just looking for clues...

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:26:01 AM »

Very true! And not only when computers are involved.  Wink

Grin.... Cheesy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: