Kara-Moon Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can go back to the main site here: Kara-Moon site

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New 87PM website  (Read 19069 times)
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »

Cool
Marc,
I'm glad you take my comments in the way they were intended ... constructive criticism.

I've just done a check on the latest update. My findings are:
Safari ... perfect
Opera ... slightly jerky transition
Firefox ... a bit slower than the others
IE8 ... still just the static black screen, I'm afraid.  Embarrassed

This is all on Win XP sp3.

Wink
James

folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »

This is a very definite improvement. However for me, Firefox is now faster than Opera  Shocked
This is working on Ubuntu 10.10

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »

Hi James, of course! I'm a little bit annoyed that it doesn't translate exactly the same to all systems but I suppose it was a bit naive to think that would be the case. Smiley In any case, I really appreciate all you guys testing the site and having all these different OS's and browsers really helps me a lot! I do think that the problem with IE8 is fixed in IE9 but unfortunately I can't test that. In any case, a big thanks to all of you for testing wOO this and I hope to continue using your help - I'll update this thread when I've made further changes!

Also known as Marc JXP
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 06:28:39 PM »

The thing is that I used Firefox almost exclusively ... but have the other browsers installed for testing purposes when I do my own web-building.
It is often quite surprising the differences between browsers  Shocked

Always happy to help.

Wink
James

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »

A small update: I discovered that IE apparently treats the window object differently, which I use to get the width/height of the website. Really weird is that yesterday IE ran this on my pc without problems but today it produced the same problem you guys were reporting for IE. In a way this was a good thing because it helped me home in on the error. It should work now, though it could be that IE reports an error when opening the website. If so, click on ignore and it should run as normal. There was also a difference in the way IE treats variables outside of functions - it appears to ignore them. In any case, thanks to you all I'm learning a lot!

Also known as Marc JXP
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »

Lips Sealed
I'm afraid that further testing will have to wait until another day  Angry
Internet is being totally crazy today ... it's worse than being back on dial-up.
Don't know what's going on but it did the same thing a couple of days ago  Angry

Wink
James

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »

Small additional change: I now changed the speed of the cd zooming in/out to be a standard 1 second (although experience with the cd's flying in teaches that this could be a bit longer or shorter depending on the browser. More dramatically, the tracklist now flies in from the left instead of just popping up.

Also known as Marc JXP
MarioD
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »

I’m using a 3.06 GHz, 32 bit XP SP3 machine and IE8 with a 1280 x 1024 pixel 25” monitor. The monitor is in VGA mode for this computer. It takes 35 seconds for the animation to complete.  Also the animation is very jerky and when the album covers reach the right side of the screen they are very very small, i.e. impossible to read. 

Does this information help?

The older I get the better I was!
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »

Could be either the processor or IE8. The smoothest playback I get is in Chrome, would you mind installing that to see if it's IE8? On my laptop, both Chrome and IE9 are smooth. Firefox is a bit jerkier but ok as well.

Also known as Marc JXP
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 04:32:20 PM »

My set up is even older.
AMD 3000 1.8Ghz w 2G ram, dual 19" monitors on 1024x768    Shocked

Opera 11.6   gives full animation in 3 sec
Safari 5.1     gives full animation in 3 sec with jerky transition
Firefox 9      gives full animation in 4 sec
IE 8            gives full animation in 17 sec and is so jerky it looks like the boxes are walking  Lips Sealed

Wink
James

added ... installed Chrome 16 and this gives the animation in slightly over 2 sec.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:47:31 PM by offthewall » Logged

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 08:18:01 AM »

Nothing to click and no nav bars.(servo feeder

Thank you for the feedback! I don't know that browser but from what you say I would guess that either it doesn't use Java or you disabled it. Could that be the case?

Also known as Marc JXP
Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 02:18:37 PM »

A new change to the 87PM website! The individual previews (which open when you click on one of the cd covers to the right) now use the built-in HTML5 audio player. This means that playback is much more integrated and doesn't open the system's own audio player. I've tested it on several browsers so far but as usual, I was hoping you'd help me test this on a few other systems. Thanks in advance! Cheesy

http://ocean-coast.kara-moon.com/

I should remark that any java-related problems described earlier in this thread will probably still remain, that's an on-going issue. I am however interested in whether the previews play back properly. Using java, I've programmed this behaviour for them:

- Clicking on the track name plays back the file. It also changed the track name's colour to red.
- Clicking on another track name stops playback of the previous file and starts the clicked file.
- Clicking on the track name of a running track stops playback.

If you are using a non-HTML5 compatible browser that doesn't have the audio object, it should show a normal link to the preview mp3 which will open and play back on your system's audio player, like before.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:27:54 PM by Marc JX8P » Logged

Also known as Marc JXP
offthewall
Kara-Moon-Collective
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 08:34:01 PM »

Marc,

Made quick tests in FireFox, GoogleChrome, Opera, Safari and IE.

All worked perfectly in FF and Chrome.
In Opera all worked well but animations were a bit stuttering.
In Safari the links worked well but animations were very slow.
In IE everything was awful. Animations just crept across the page and in-built music player didn't work. It referred back to Quicktime. In saying this I won't have an up to date IE on my system. I just keep an old (safer) version for testing purposes.

Hope this helps, mate.  Grin

Wink
James

Marc JX8P
Kara-Moon Master

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 08:40:41 PM »

Hi James,

Thanks for the tests! Really useful information. The new IE in Win7 does work fine, but apparently the old java script and html5 support leaves a lot to be desired. Cheesy I'm kind of surprised that the Safari animations are slow as the iOS Safari browser on my iPad works perfectly. Anyway, it's good to see that Chrome and FF work well already.

Cheers,

Marc

Also known as Marc JXP
folderol
Kara-Moon Master

Who? Me?

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2012, 09:10:01 PM »

Slightly different here.
Running debian wheezy.
Opera 12 ran as James found. A bit slow and jerky with the animation but fine with the sound.
Firefox 14 ran very smoothly but although the player seemed to operate there was no sound at all !?

If you have a poem, I have a tune, and we exchange these, we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
- Will
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: